United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 209 of 236
04 November 2012 at 6:39am | IP Logged 

This is the kinda sorta sad reality of the "new and improved" Portugais du Brésil, lesson 10.

1. Que calor!
2. Sim, o calor está insuportável.
3. As janelas já estão abertas...
4. E as portas?
5. Você está louca? E os ladrões?!

And no, it is not continued on the next page :((
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 210 of 236
04 November 2012 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
I don't know. I've been debating between the two of them for awhile, but I am more interested in being able to read than any else. Isn't written Norwegian like a completely different language than spoken Norwegian?
As in diglossia? As far as I understand not really. It's true about Danish in a different sense :D
As for the experiment, the number of people is just too small and everyone has different reasons. I would do Swedish but I found Norwegian online, a couple of people have really wanted to study Norwegian and finally made up their minds.

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5050 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 211 of 236
04 November 2012 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
TURKISH: Besides German, this is the last language I am doing a Super Challenge for. My SC is only for movies, but I want to learn as much as possible as well. So, crazy me, I decided to sign up Turkish for my third Assimil experiment. I am curious how much I can learn in 40-50 minutes a day for six months. This is definitely the hardest Assimil course I've started working on, but I am only on lesson 4 and I'm already staring to see patterns and recognize little things. I am optimistic. :)

Yeah, I did the first seven lessons of this course earlier this year, it looks like one of their better organized courses, and it teaches you quite a lot. The 7th (review) lesson was also excellent, very helpful for recapitulating the plethora of information.

For Brazilian you might try to get hold of the 1980's Le Brésilien sans peine - people used to like it much better than their present offering. Unfortunately it's only available in French, I think.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 212 of 236
04 November 2012 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
Kronos wrote:
For Brazilian you might try to get hold of the 1980's Le Brésilien sans peine - people used to like it much better than their present offering. Unfortunately it's only available in French, I think.

I think all the new ones are in French, too. One of the reason I started studying French. =)

Is this the 1980 book you're talking about? I might run though that one when I'm done with this one. Or I might just decide to bombard myself with Harry Potter audio or something. =)

It's kind of disappointing that Assimil's courses (at least some of them) are being dumbed down like a lot of the other companies (Teach Yourself, Colloquial, etc).

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5050 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 213 of 236
04 November 2012 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
Is this the 1980 book you're talking about? I might run though that one when I'm done with this one. Or I might just decide to bombard myself with Harry Potter audio or something. =)

It's the same book, I have a hard copy of the old (1985) course. Btw this also underwent some minor revisions or corrections and came with different covers, but it remained the same book.

I believe Le portugais du Brésil (2009) is a different course, and there is indeed a German version now as well, but I don't have it (yet).

Apart from those, there are two for European Portuguese - the old one by A. Chérel, 1950s, and a newer one from either the 80s or 90s - essentially the one still in print. Unfortunately they never brought out an advanced manual, as they did for Spanish or Italian.

I'll have to overcome my inner resistance to French. Their 1950s La Pratique de l'Espagnol is massive and looks fantastic (one of the first for which they recruited a language expert), but to take advantage of this one, as well as the Brazilian one, I have to learn some French first. There have been German editions for most of their courses, but, well, not for all...

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 214 of 236
13 December 2012 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 

I have been doing quite a bit of reading in Spanish for the Super Challenge. While I'm reading (on my little Kindle), I have a notebook and write down the words I don't know. As long as it doesn't interfere with me understanding the storyline, I don't look them up while I'm reading.

I make three columns on a page in my spiral notebook, so there are about 75 new words on each notebook page. I've been lazy lately, because I have about 10 pages (hmm.. 750 new words!?!) I have to look up and learn.

Thank goodness I can type my list into Google pretty quickly. Does anyone know how to take a list like that and put it into Anki without having to retype everything? I suppose I would be dreaming if I thought anything would be so easy. :)

I am still trying to figure out how I can read a book and understand 99% of it when there so so so many words that I still don't know!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5123 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 215 of 236
13 December 2012 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

I don't know. I've been debating between the two of them for awhile, but I am more interested in being able to
read than any else. Isn't written Norwegian like a completely different language than spoken Norwegian?

I would like to quote something I just wrote in the Scandinavian team thread:

--------

Since some of you have chosen Norwegian, you have obviously not been scared away by all the confusion
around the language, with dialects and statements of diglossia floating around. I wanted to further reassure
you. The Standard Norwegian (bokmål) which is the written form, and which is the language used in
language courses, is understood by everyone In Norway, and the educated spoken norm for that is virtually
identical. I know of no spoken words I cannot use in the written language, and I know of no written word I
could not use in my speech.

For an English speaker the language is very easy to learn, but I would spend a bit of time on the
pronunciation. If you get that right, people will get incredibly impressed.

In these times of high unemployment, it also makes very good business sense to learn Norwegian. We have
no unemployment, and a very friendly working environment. People come from all over Europe to work here.
So good luck with the language, and do not hesitate to ask anything :-)

-----
The working opportunity part may not be very useful to you, but rest assured that with one version of
Norwegian - which is identical in spoken/written form - you would do just fine.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 216 of 236
13 December 2012 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Kerrie wrote:

I don't know. I've been debating between the two of them for awhile, but I am more interested in being able to
read than any else. Isn't written Norwegian like a completely different language than spoken Norwegian?

I would like to quote something I just wrote in the Scandinavian team thread:

--------

Since some of you have chosen Norwegian, you have obviously not been scared away by all the confusion
around the language, with dialects and statements of diglossia floating around. I wanted to further reassure
you. The Standard Norwegian (bokmål) which is the written form, and which is the language used in
language courses, is understood by everyone In Norway, and the educated spoken norm for that is virtually
identical. I know of no spoken words I cannot use in the written language, and I know of no written word I
could not use in my speech.

For an English speaker the language is very easy to learn, but I would spend a bit of time on the
pronunciation. If you get that right, people will get incredibly impressed.

In these times of high unemployment, it also makes very good business sense to learn Norwegian. We have
no unemployment, and a very friendly working environment. People come from all over Europe to work here.
So good luck with the language, and do not hesitate to ask anything :-)

-----
The working opportunity part may not be very useful to you, but rest assured that with one version of
Norwegian - which is identical in spoken/written form - you would do just fine.

Thank you. Sometimes there is too much confusing information out there.

Who knows, maybe I will learn Norwegian and move to Norway. I have thought (a lot) about moving out of the US, for a variety of reasons. I had never considered Norway before. (Although my daughter is convinced we need to move to Sweden. I have no idea why.) The economic situation in mainland Europe is not much better than in the US right now, at least in parts. I've kind of decided that I'll have to wait til the girls are 18 (another 8 years), since I'm not sure what it would entail to move the whole family overseas. But time flies, and even if I wait until then, it will be here before I know it. :)

Maybe I'll learn about railroads and take over your job when you retire. You can retired early that way. :)

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version