236 messages over 30 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 29 30 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 17 of 236
30 December 2011 at 6:24am | IP Logged 
yes, I love their Spanish and Croatian resources. (Brazilian) Portuguese too and they also appear to have 100+ French lessons. pity there's nothing for Italian:/ there were some good links in a recent Italian log though, "the first of a long list" or something...

aw, must look crazy to you. i'm not yet aiming for active skills and for understanding my native russian is enough here :D

as for your friend, well, does she have noticeable holes in her English and German grammar? i'm more like her hehe, love watching football (soccer) in various languages :P menmenmen... *_*
it's actually such a delightful feeling when you absorb/figure out stuff on your own<3 i used to love traditional grammar learning but i don't anymore. got addicted to this sensation.
as long as you speak correctly, i think there's nothing bad about just knowing how but not why.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 18 of 236
30 December 2011 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
aw, must look crazy to you. i'm not yet aiming for active skills and for understanding my native russian is enough here :D

as for your friend, well, does she have noticeable holes in her English and German grammar?

I'm fairly happy aiming more for passive skills in most of my languages as well, although that's changing a bit with Spanish and French now. I find that I can talk (to myself, mostly) in either language for awhile and be able to say what I want to, albeit I'm sure it's full of grammar mistakes. I'm not a social person most of the time (although that has been changing the past few months), and I'm mainly content to be able to read and understand the spoken language. I also think it's important to have a good passive understanding of the language before I start butchering it myself. Um. I mean producing it myself. Yeah. =)

As for my friend, her English is very full of holes. Like fine Swiss cheese. (They speak German in Switzerland, right?) I can't speak for her German, as mine is extremely limited, but I've caught her in grammar mistakes with that as well. (See the post a few days ago about me being her Freund.) With English at least, she is confident enough in her ability to communicate, though, that her grammar doesn't really get in the way.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 19 of 236
30 December 2011 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
aw, and how are you now learning to produce?
i find the Romance languages' grammar frustrating -___-

yes i've seen the post about Freund:/ but well, many who do learn grammar diligently (but don't like it) end up at the same level where she is. i think her way to get there is definitely more pleasant :D
any idea if she's tried production to soon just because she had to? i really think that for most who are not interested in grammar AJATT is the way to go.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 20 of 236
31 December 2011 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
I find Romance languages' grammar to be easy. Slavic languages are confusing. And German genders give me the willies. I really want to learn Russian, too, but I think more than one Slavic language would be too much for me at this point. Once I have a solid footing in BSC, then I will definitely tackle Russian, and probably Polish after that.

RE: How am I learning to produce now? I am writing and talking more. I have a few friends at work who speak Spanish and don't make fun of me when I speak it. At least not too much. I talk to myself a lot, too. That probably doesn't do much for my grammar, but it makes me more confident speaking, which is what I need most at the moment. One of my New Year's Resolutions is to start working with a tutor (or just finding a conversation partner) for both my Spanish and my French. Once I get a little more comfortable in Italian (and probably Portuguese, although that will probably take a little longer), I'll do the same with those.

I've already got friends here who speak Bosnian and German who are happy to laugh at me for my efforts. Um, with me. Not at me.

Or so I like to believe. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 21 of 236
31 December 2011 at 5:41am | IP Logged 
I still can't stop thinking of the elegant Latin system when i see modern Romance languages. and i'm trying not to say things i can't say correctly...

aww, so many plans:) i'm planning to do a 6wc in Polish next year!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 22 of 236
31 December 2011 at 8:11am | IP Logged 
If I had the time to do a 6WC, it would probably be in Japanese. or Greek. or Hungarian. or Swahili. or Swedish. or Estonian. or Catalan. or maybe Russian or Polish. or Finnish. or Basque. Basque would be cool. Kazakh or Armenian would be exotic.

Stop trying to get me interested in more languages. I only have room for 6 or 8 in my not so busy schedule. And I'm all full right now! :)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 23 of 236
31 December 2011 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
but it doesn't have to be a completely new language!
you can also do a 6WC in croatian or portuguese or another non-fluent one, preferably low intermediate:)

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 24 of 236
01 January 2012 at 9:11am | IP Logged 

I just worked my way through the second disc of the Michel Thomas Portuguese Foundation course. I had so much trouble following the first disc, trying to get used to the new sounds. I understood the concepts, of course, but following more than a few words at a time was hurting my head!

Having listened to the second CD, I'm glad that it is starting to sound more comprehensible. I was starting to wonder if I was going to fail before I even got started with it!

I didn't get much other studying done the last two days, since I've been working a bunch of extra hours at my second job.

After I was done with the MT Portuguese disc, I turned my mp3 player to some Italian music (Eros Ramazzotti - Se Bastasse Una Canzone). I was really surprised how quickly my ear tuned to the Italian. When I listen to Spanish (and some French, if I know the song), I have no trouble switching languages, but my Italian isn't at that point, yet.

I think tomorrow I'm going to review the first 6-8 lessons of Living Language Ultimate French. I think most of that will be review. Hopefully I can run through at least one of the Review discs of the MT French (Foundation) course, as well.

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version