kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4647 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 73 of 436
08 February 2013 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
Congratulations on passing N2! I don't even think I could pass it by mistake! I think I'm still somewhere in the abyss between being able to pass N3 and having no chance of passing N2.
1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5782 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 74 of 436
08 February 2013 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
6wc Week 1 Report

I have logged 15h50 of German and just over 18h overall.

Compared to the last 6wc where I made up a lot of time watching Japanese TV rather than studying my nominated target language, I feel like I'm spending a lot of time studying at my desk.

In fact, I'm thinking I might start to go against the aim to "study as much as possible" and try and find a sweet spot where I study as much as necessary.

Next week I'm going to aim at 10-12 hours German, which should leave me space to do a little more Japanese. I'm not going to do any intensive Japanese study, but it's time I started at least doing some more reading and TV again.

I also think that maybe 10 hours a week of German should be enough for me to feel progress, while also forcing me to prioritise and be a bit choosy about how I spend my time. The aim is to continue with Assimil every day (week 1 was a success here), listen to 1 episode of DWs Warum Nicht and spend any remaining time on my textbook.

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4984 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 75 of 436
08 February 2013 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
You're awesome. (I can't wait for my Japanese to catch up to yours lol). Yeah I replied to this on my old
phone and it didn't post. Sorry!

g-bod wrote:
JLPT results are now out online. I passed N2!!!!

Language Knowledge: 31
Reading: 30
Listening: 39

Total: 100/180

I was not expecting that at all.

kraemder
Joined 4984 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 

Message 76 of 436
08 February 2013 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
I had a slightly weird experience in my Japanese language exchange today. I made the
mistake of using 母 when I should have used お母さん, which my partner corrected. However, when he
corrected me I was a bit surprised because I was sure I had said お母さん in the first place. I already knew
that 母 would be wrong in the context I used it, and yet it still slipped out without me even noticing.

I think natives slip up a lite too. I know I mangle English on occasion but thanks to my stellar accent nobody
corrects me XD.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kraemder
Joined 4984 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 

Message 77 of 436
08 February 2013 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
My advice is to just pay attention to the genders but if you're say doing an srs then test yourself on the word
not so much the gender. I think gender is a lot like kanji for Japanese. You can just pick it up later. Just learn
some patterns like if it ends with an e then it's feminine. And don't worry about it. If you were trying to learn to
speak correctly for your job then I'd say otherwise. You'd want to learn the genders of anything that came out
of your mouth because they do notice. But I don't get corrected on my genders very often even back when I
was more at your level and decided to just say die for everything in order to start talking hehe.

g-bod wrote:
I have a question for anybody studying a language with genders!

Should I concern myself with memorising nouns and articles right now?

In pretty much every German course I've looked at so far, any explanation of the use of der/die/das also
comes with the advice that I must memorise the article with the noun.

I guess it's sound advice, since if you don't know the correct article you don't have much of a chance of
producing correct German.

However, my main aim at present is to build up my passive knowledge and I've been pretty much steadfastly
avoiding rote memorisation of anything so far. But I'm starting to wonder, would I be saving myself future pain
if I made a start on drilling nouns and genders right now? Or is it safe to leave it until I need it?

Edited by kraemder on 08 February 2013 at 7:32pm

kraemder
Joined 4984 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 

Message 78 of 436
08 February 2013 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
I was just thinking. Would you have any interest in listening to some recordings of my current German class?
I haven't been recording them diligently because its really more for diary purposes for me then learning but
2nd semester German is probably good for you and our teacher speaks a lot of German a bit beyond what
we've been taught but slowly (you can't see her unfortunately of course.)

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4465 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 79 of 436
08 February 2013 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
And actually, I think my approach to Japanese now perhaps really should be
more about sitting back and enjoying it.

I know I said elsewhere that I want to be fluent, but in reality getting to the point
that you have with Japanese would make me pretty happy.

I can read the news in English and Italian; my French speaking is execrable but I can
read the online papers well enough (and even get something out of watching TV5); I expect
it would feel really good to add a viewpoint from 10 time zones away.

So just three more years of hard study in front of me eh :-)

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5782 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 80 of 436
08 February 2013 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
@kraemder thanks for your offer - I would definitely be interested in listening to a recording of your class. I guess the level might still be a little too advanced for me, but I'm keen to catch up as best I can!

@dampingwire if you could maintain hard study for a whole three years, I'm sure you'd exceed where my Japanese is right now. I do think it's great that I am able to experience Japanese media without having to rely on the viewpoint of a translator. It really makes it worth the effort. Reading Japanese newspapers is really tough though. Contemporary fiction generally seems to be an easier read (which is the opposite of my experience with French, where I can pick my way through a paper but not do much else!)

This discussion contains 436 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version