Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 337 of 436
24 August 2013 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
Je vais aller à Montpellier, dans le sud. Je vais voir un petit peu de Paris, mais j'y
resterai seulement 90 minutes, pour attendre le train.
1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 338 of 436
24 August 2013 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
Since Mitsukoshi department store in London is closing in September, JP Books have now opened
up their own shop just round the corner in Denman Street. It's nice and bright and packed
with Japanese books. They didn't seem to have quite as many learner materials in as usual,
but I expect they've not moved all the stock across. Bad news is they didn't have the
textbooks in I wanted to check out, good news (for my back anyway) is that I only added one
small paperback to my holiday reading pile! I did take a good look at Minna no Nihongo
Chuukyuu while I was there. I wish this had been available two or three years ago. It has a
CD and transcripts and answers and everything. I'm half tempted to get it anyway for a review
of intermediate grammar, but I'm not going to make an immediate purchase.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4431 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 339 of 436
25 August 2013 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
Oh, à Montpellier? J'y suis jamais allé, mais j'ai entendu dire que c'était une très
belle ville par certains de mes amis! Profites bien!

Regarding the chukyuu book, I went through it about a year and a half ago, and to say the
truth, I think it's useful for after the Minna no nihongo 2. After the JLPT N2, I think
you'll find too many things to be already known and as a result the book might end up
boring you (even though some parts could definitely help you).

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4464 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 340 of 436
26 August 2013 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:
Regarding the chukyuu book, I went through it about a year and a half
ago, and to say the
truth, I think it's useful for after the Minna no nihongo 2.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the two 中級 grammar books seem to be pretty helpful
for me. I've only bought the first of the 本冊 and I've yet to delve into that one.

The Dictionary of Basic/Intermediate/Advanced Japanese Grammar seem to be slightly
better if the sections I've worked through on scribd are anything to go by. However,
they're £40+ each so that would be a hefty investment.

I happened to be in Blackwell's in Oxford today and leafed briefly through "Japanese:A
Comprehensive Grammar". It seemed very umm comprehensive, which at £55 it really ought
to be.

Is it just me or are Japanese language books just very expensive compared to comparable
books for other languages (at least, European mainstream languages)? I've only really
looked at French grammars in the past and they were all around the £20 mark, with a few
outliers at £30.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4431 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 341 of 436
26 August 2013 at 7:50am | IP Logged 
@Dampingwire: Oh don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the two 中級 books are bad. Far from
it! I reckon they are pretty good and I've had plenty of friends who made good use of it.
I would have too if I had known back then. However, I reckon G-bod has a pretty good
level (which you need to, in order to pass the JLPT N2, even though after passing it, you
realize there's still much to go) and thus it might not live up to her expectations. It
could (and probably would) be useful, be not as much as some other resources I believe

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 342 of 436
26 August 2013 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
I definitely need a review of N2 grammar and expressions. There are quite a few half
forgotten things in my head from when I was prepping for N2 so I think it could be
worthwhile.

I already have the beginner and intermediate grammar dictionaries. I rarely use them though,
they're just a bit too detailed for the way I work. I'd also like a textbook which covers
wider material than just the sentence patterns.

@yuhakko are there any particular books you could recommend for post-N2?

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4983 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 343 of 436
26 August 2013 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
Not that you're asking me but I'd suggest native material for post-N2. As to what native material to read.. I guess I'd ask a native =p. And I know you like the paper stuff but ebooks/websites are so much easier to look up words for us learners. Especially with Japanese where the writing system is so crazy.   That said I plan on reading some good old fashioned paperbacks in German to brush up for this course I'm taking XD.

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4983 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 344 of 436
26 August 2013 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
*edit*

Edited by kraemder on 26 August 2013 at 11:10am

This discussion contains 436 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version