Germany
Joined 5885 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 17 of 436
06 January 2013 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
Hi g-bod! that's a great intro that you have there!

g-bod wrote:
Appreciating the lack of exceptions and irregularity in Japanese!

Japanese made French look like first year grammar school -- at least that's the way it looked, but that was good enough because it was refreshing and I kept looking at French because I enjoyed that feeling of it being "easier than Japanese". German may help further your Japanese in indirect ways, too.

g-bod wrote:
( ... ) At least it has just freed my brain up to not worry so much about word order any more. Except for those separable verbs...

I tried to find a list of the most common separable verbs for ya. This PDF has a nice chart with some example sentences - and the prefixes and the root (Stamm) are in red. hope you might find it useful!^^
2 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5782 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 18 of 436
06 January 2013 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much for the link, Sunja. I think I shall be going back to refer to that list over and over again!
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5026 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 19 of 436
06 January 2013 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
Somebody add that PDF to the team Schnitzel links page!

Oh, BTW: Happy new year, good luck with your goals, etc., etc... ;)

Edited by mrwarper on 06 January 2013 at 1:04pm

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5782 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 20 of 436
06 January 2013 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
Well January mini-goals seems to be the latest fashion, and since my Christmas time mini-goals were extremely helpful, I have devised a plan for January goals as follows:

1. Get rid of this awful cold so I can get back to studying properly again!
2. 10 Kanji in Context chapters (completing up to chapter 30)
3. 1 chapter in my Japanese textbook
4. Finish vol. 1 of the ドラえもん history manga
5. Read 10分で読めるお話 and 10分で読める名作 (graded readers for 2nd graders)
6. Start reading a proper Japanese novel for grown-ups
7. Watch 20 episodes of Japanese drama (if any single episode is over 90 minutes in length it will count as 2)

That should keep me busy!

Edit: while I'm still getting the hang of this simultaneous study nonsense (and losing my grip already!) I've decided to ease the pressure a little and remove the German goals. To make up for it, I've added another vague goal related to doing something with a Japanese novel, to encourage myself to build on my earlier reading success with the Murakami short stories!

Edited by g-bod on 07 January 2013 at 10:33pm

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5782 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 21 of 436
09 January 2013 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
Simultaneous study is tough. After a long day at work, I can usually find the enthusiasm to sit down and study one language for a while, but I find it hard to maintain the energy to study two. If I just wanted to maintain my Japanese by watching TV and reading a bit, I think I could do it, but I just feel permanently torn between the two right now! I guess I could study them on alternate days, at least at times when my enthusiasm and energy are running low, but that would mean accepting slower progress in both languages. I know it doesn't help that I'm still ill, so everything is harder work than it would normally be.

I do wonder if I should just wait until I'm fed up of Japanese, and then devote myself to German. Or if that doesn't happen, at least wait until my Japanese feels ready to go into maintenance mode. At the moment it feels like I've just started a whole new voyage of discovery with Japanese, so it's hardly the time to park it up right now, but maybe when I hit the next plateau it would be an option.

The thing is I really want to get to know German better as well. It's hard to explain, but I get the same kind of feeling when I listen to German that I do when I listen to Japanese. It's similar to the feeling I get when I listen a piece of music that I really love. So it frustrates me to have false starts dabbling in German, because I really feel like I want to do it properly - so it bothers me that I'm having trouble with commitment!

I think there are at least two positives out of my recent dabbling with German, however. The first is that I don't seem to have lost much of what I learned in my summer of German last year. To be fair, I didn't learn that much in the first place, but I think it's still rather positive! The second is that I have discovered I'm very happy using a combination of Assimil and a regular textbook. They seem to complement each other really well. If I can get over my commitment issues, I think I would basically continue using both in tandem until I've covered all the essential grammar.

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4984 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 22 of 436
10 January 2013 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
I'm working out how ill handle two languages too. Right now I'm really enjoying reading a novel for a
change in a foreign language. It's been a while. I can totally accept having slower progress in Japanese.
It's so slow and all anyway and progress in Spanish seems really easy. Vocab sticks a lot easier that's for
sure. Tonight I started out watching anime.. And then reading in Spanish. It's a little weird for with
japanese. I often worry I'll forget it or something but I was following along the same rate as usual of
course.

Btw I love German. I totally get what you're talking about when you listen to it.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5782 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 23 of 436
10 January 2013 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
I think I'm finally over the hump, so to speak, when it comes to reading Japanese. If I pick up a Japanese book I feel more comfortable now than when I pick up a French book. It's a nice feeling! I can't say I've found vocabulary sticks any easier in French or German than it does in Japanese. Actually, studying vocabulary was always my most disliked aspect of language learning. I think kanji at least makes Japanese vocabulary study a little bit more interesting, but I guess that I'm probably quite unusual in this respect!

Two languages plus adult responsibilities is definitely tough. I got back from work late again tonight, managed to do around half an hour of German study before dinner, then after dinner had to make arrangements for a trip back to my hometown next week, which took some time and deliberation, and then I was on the phone to my parents for an hour. I've got some time to do a little bit of reading in Japanese now before bed, but that's it for today! Can't help feeling that my half an hour of German would have been better "spent" on Kanji in Context...

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5782 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 24 of 436
13 January 2013 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
I finally seem to have gotten rid of the cold, so that's goal no. 1 for the month dealt with. I'm not sure if I'll manage to meet any of the other mini goals now though. Being ill plus some family issues have really impacted on my ability to focus since New Year.

Messing around with German has been a nice diversion but it's not quite the reboot I was hoping for. I'm not sure if German is making me feel more muddled and unfocused, or if I just started messing around with it again as a result of feeling muddled and unfocused in the first place. In all honesty I think it's probably the latter. I'm not having any problem with interference at the moment or anything like that, I'm just spending a lot of time thinking about studying Japanese, or thinking about studying German, but spending much less time actually studying anything.

Well, it's not as if I haven't done anything in the last two weeks. Even in the last two days I have somehow managed to study a couple of JapanesePod101 Intermediate lessons, read a few pages of the 吉本ばなな novel つぐみ, spoken some bad Japanese to some of my 桜 team mates on Skype, and then spoken a little bit more bad Japanese to one of my Japanese friends, also on Skype. When I think about it like that, I'm not doing too badly, considering.

This discussion contains 436 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version