kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4983 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 321 of 436
19 August 2013 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
heh I think I better cut and paste my entry to my own log. Sorry about that! (恥ずかしい)
1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 322 of 436
19 August 2013 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
I think what I really want is to find the time to study both Japanese and German intensively and reach a really decent level in both of them. Unfortunately, since nobody is going to pay for me to go back to university for four years and complete a BA in German & Japanese Studies, I'm just going to have to compromise.

I did start looking at German again over the weekend. I ended up having a great two hour study session yesterday, which saw me completing a lesson in Assimil and doing a few pages in Begegnungen. Despite not doing any regular study since April (although I have recorded doing something in German on 26th May, 20th June and 7th August - wow, three days in four months) I seem to have been able to pick up almost where I left off. The only significant thing I've lost is the genders of nouns, but since I didn't know that many nouns to start with, I think I can recover!

The challenge is just finding a way of balancing two languages and I've never been very good at this. But at least right now I have no pressure, I'm not entering myself for any exams this year. And I've got some time off work coming up, where the main aim is to relax, but if I can relax with my languages so much the better!

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 323 of 436
19 August 2013 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Having said all that, I don't think I'm going to get any studying done tonight. I slept so badly last night it's practically pointless trying to learn anything!

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4983 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 324 of 436
19 August 2013 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
I admire your determination to take on more than one language. I'm scared to go back to German or Spanish
for fear that it will ruin any chance I have for speaking Japanese. Maybe that's silly. I was trying to say 南 in
Japanese and all I could think of was Süden.   I was so frustrated lol.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 325 of 436
20 August 2013 at 9:10am | IP Logged 
I don't know. It's not so much determination as sheer foolishness! When I'm feeling fresh on
a weekend it's fairly easy to do both. But after a busy day at work it's difficult. I worry
I'm just setting myself up for frustration and failure.

But I struggle to choose between them. It's like Japanese is the most beautiful dress in the
shop, but German is the dress that suits me better.

I'm not too concerned about interference between words like that. The first few days I spent
in Germany this year I kept saying はい to German people. It wore off though! Working on
German does screw up my intonation in Japanese though, which to be fair was shaky to start
with.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 326 of 436
21 August 2013 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
I had a great lesson with my Japanese tutor on Skype this evening. When I got back from work I wasn't sure whether to work on German or Japanese, but I decided in the end I should just spend the time preparing properly for the lesson. It's a good job I did, because it took me longer to prepare than I was expecting, but it was totally worth it. I was kind of surprised when certain words and expressions just fell out of my mouth tonight and I thought "how on earth did I even know how to say that?" It feels good when that happens.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 327 of 436
21 August 2013 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
I had my final lesson with my French tutor tonight. She is an excellent tutor and I will miss
the lessons. But I think I am ready to stop worrying about my French. For years I have felt
like I had unfinished business with the language. Thanks to my work this summer I have
realised I am happy with my French just as it is. Sometimes intermediate really is good
enough.

I also feel like I've finally started being able to compartmentalise my languages a little
better. I had an excellent Japanese lesson last night followed by an excellent French lesson
today. I couldn't have done that this time last year. I think having real conversations seems
to really help me find a proper place for a language in my brain.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 328 of 436
23 August 2013 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
The biggest dilemma I am facing now I'm looking forward to a holiday abroad and a well needed break is this: which books do I pack? And in which languages?

The 20 year old me would have been satisfied with a Jilly Cooper!! Learning Japanese has certainly done strange things to my brain!

I thought about bringing some textbooks along with me, especially when I was all fired up for German last weekend. But textbooks are big and chunky and I'll only start feeling guilty if I don't actually study from them at all. I can't feel guilt if they're still at home. So German, I'm sorry, I know I haven't given you the time you deserve lately, but you'll just have to wait until I get home.

So it's extensive reading material only I think (which is perfectly sensible for a relaxing holiday). However I've spent the last half an hour scanning my Japanese bookshelf and I can't guarantee I'll be able to relax with anything! I have been struggling to read the novel 告白 extensively lately and have so far reached page 50 with only a vague idea of what's going on so I don't really fancy bringing this one along. I still haven't managed to read a whole Japanese novel, cover to cover, although I've been having better luck with Murakami short stories so maybe I should bring a volume of those along with me. Or maybe I'll pack one of his novels and go for it - if I can handle his style in short story format it might just work out!

But since I'm going to France, shouldn't I bring some French reading with me? And I can at least guarantee that I would be able to read that extensively...

This discussion contains 436 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version