Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 217 of 436
18 May 2013 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
I got a new smartphone today, the Galaxy S3. I'd read something about it easier to change locales in Android 4.1 and getting over the han unification problem (where your device displays Chinese characters instead of Japanese ones).

Anyway I messed around with the phone a bit and couldn't find an instant solution... First I got an app to switch locales which changed the default language but not the font. Then I discovered the S3 lets you change the default font so was able to download a Japanese font and view correct fonts in aedict for the first time, but not in the browser. Then I restarted the phone, it loaded up in Japanese mode, and I saw Japanese fonts in the browser for the first time. Awesome! Except now I can't get it to boot up in English mode any more so I'm not quite sure how I managed to convince the phone I'm Japanese in the first place!
1 person has voted this message useful

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4983 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 218 of 436
18 May 2013 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
That's a really nice phone =). I'm sure you'll love it. The only way I could get android to show proper Japanese fonts without changing the language/local of the phone to Japan/Japanese was to root it. But without rooting it I found using an app called MoreLocale 2 worked great, if I didn't mind a Japanese interface. I don't think I downloaded another font when I change the locale.. it just activated a latent correct Japanese font as far as I could tell. I might be wrong. With your super N2 skills I'm sure you can handle a Japanese interface though =p.
2 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 219 of 436
18 May 2013 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
I totally don't mind a Japanese interface! Thanks for the tip on More Locale 2, it seems to have done the job.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 220 of 436
20 May 2013 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
I totally love my new phone. Now I've got Japanese characters to display properly it's really opened up possibilities for using the phone to do stuff in Japanese. And unlike my old phone, the wifi actually works, meaning I can get internet radio in whatever language I feel like!

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4983 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 221 of 436
20 May 2013 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
If you find anything particularly good to listen to on the radio pls post
it. I have Tunein radio pro on my phone. I haven't found anything
truly awesome though like deutsche welle or BBC. Glad you like your
phone. I'm waiting on my iPhone to arrive XD.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 222 of 436
21 May 2013 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
Unfortunately no, I haven't found anything as awesome as Deutsche Welle. It seems like a lot of the national media providers are quite determined that you can only listen to them if you are actually in Japan. However there are a couple of smaller stations on Tunein that provide some combination of Japanese music and conversation.

My motivation seems to have ground to a halt over the last couple of days. I'm not quite sure what the problem is. I even procrastinated preparing for my Skype lesson yesterday until as late as I could get away with. It's crazy, I'm a responsible adult now, I'm not still a petulant teenager putting off 10 hours of boring homework I don't want to do. Regardless of the procrastination, I think the lesson turned out reasonably well. My tutor is doing a good job at providing me with interesting, relevant but slightly challenging things to talk about. It felt like I had a slightly easier time expressing myself and didn't have to spend as much time hunting for vocabulary or expressions, but this came at the price of my pronunciation. Well, one step at a time...

I haven't been able to get back into the flow of studying with Kanji in Context since I was ill last week. I don't really have any excuses now, but it just seems like I get halfway through a chapter and then the smallest thing distracts me, but I guess the distractions are always just the excuse I'm looking for to put it back down again.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4646 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 223 of 436
22 May 2013 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
If you don't mind the dryness the NHK radio stations are on Tunein. Other than that... not many options. I know you can find ABC from Osaka on Tunein, if you don't mind the accent. But it is all news, talk and baseball.

Yes, it is amazing how much the media in Japan restrict their broadcasts to people outside of Japan.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 224 of 436
26 May 2013 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
I was away at a family event this weekend so apart from some reading on the train I didn't get any language work done. I did however get the opportunity to regret once more that I still haven't taken my German to a level beyond the tourist domain, because I would have had a chance to practice. I can't remember the last time I unexpectedly ended up in a room with Japanese speakers, but it's happened more often than I might expect with German speakers! I wish I could find a way to combine study of two languages. I can't seem to be able to do one without leaving the other behind.

Edit: In an attempt to foster a spirit of less moaning and more doing, I just picked up German With Ease pretty much where I left off in April. I thought I might have to redo a few of the lessons right before I put the text down last time, but after going back a few pages and just reading through the lessons it seemed to jog my memory sufficiently and I got stuck into lesson 69 (passive) and 20 (active). Fortunately lesson 20 covers a load of common tourist vocab so it was a nice way to ease back in anyway, although for some crazy and somewhat worrying reason my mind drew a blank at finding the right German for "thanks very much, goodbye".

I only have one month (31 days) of passive lessons left. Maybe this time I can actually finish them!

Edited by g-bod on 26 May 2013 at 11:30pm

This discussion contains 436 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version