Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 121 of 436
13 March 2013 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
Compound nouns are great, especially for the gender discount. In fact I think I already have die Stadt, der Ball and der Name already burned into my brain thanks to learning a few compound nouns.

Anyway, I don't think I've talked myself out of vocab so much as I've talked myself out of going the Anki route, at least for now. There's more than one way to learn a list of words, after all! So thanks for the tip for worksheets, I may well go on a google hunt!
1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 122 of 436
14 March 2013 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
I don't intend to log in here for the next two weeks (I plan to finally break the cycle of spending too much money accessing the internet when I'm abroad!)

Just trying to decide what kind of "entertainment" to pack. I don't really want to spend time studying in a hotel room on holiday when there's a whole (German-speaking) world at my doorstep, after all. Maybe I'll just pack my Assimil, load up my mp3 player with stuff, and leave it at that...

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4983 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 123 of 436
14 March 2013 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
Although a break might be good.. just wanted to suggest free wifi
locations for accessing the internet. My hotel in LA which I hated did
have free wifi.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 124 of 436
14 March 2013 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
Free wifi is awesome. However, my Sony phone does not like connecting to it. Next time I'm getting a Samsung I think!

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 125 of 436
20 March 2013 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
I cracked and logged on today! I needed to get train times and a map anyway (well, that's my excuse).

Anyway, I've spoken some German! I'm still very much in the A zone (can cope, just about, as a tourist) but so far I've managed to check into a hotel, order dinner and buy stamps without falling back on English. The only situation that seems to flummox me every time is buying coffee! Today we went to a coffee shop and I ordered successfully and thought I'd solved my coffee problems, and then I remembered that I'd ordered tea...

I've also managed to have a really good browse of the Deutsch als Fremdsprache sections in a couple of bookshops which has really confirmed for me that apart from possibly a grammar book, I don't need any more textbooks. There are loads of different textbook series that all seem to offer, more or less, the same thing, so there's no point in doubling up.

Apart from activating my tourist German and maintaining some immersion thanks to German TV I haven't really done anything in particular to work on my language. I have too much to do by way of sightseeing, eating, drinking and keeping my husband company. But I think once I get back home I'll be itching to get back to my textbooks. Baden-Württemberg is a very different place to the areas I visited last summer, but nevertheless my love affair with German and Germany is still going strong. Knowing a little of the language is enough to make things a little more interesting, so I'm sure if I learn more, things will get even more interesting!

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6419 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 126 of 436
23 March 2013 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
Regarding genders: Does German not have any "rules" or patterns that make it easier to remember them? Norwegian does to some extent and since they are reasonably closely related, I thought there might be something like that also for German.

Like German, Norwegian compounds take the gender of the second noun, but there are also certain endings that give a clue to the gender. Also, certain types of words generally fit together into one category, for example, most types of trees are feminine, most substances and materials are neuter, etc.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 127 of 436
24 March 2013 at 9:38am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
Regarding genders: Does German not have any "rules" or patterns that make it easier to remember them? Norwegian does to some extent and since they are reasonably closely related, I thought there might be something like that also for German.

Like German, Norwegian compounds take the gender of the second noun, but there are also certain endings that give a clue to the gender. Also, certain types of words generally fit together into one category, for example, most types of trees are feminine, most substances and materials are neuter, etc.

German must have pretty much the same patterns. Google: "Genus, German" for some good tips like this one. Canoonet is also good, but really slow this morning, for some reason...

By persons the genders match (the obvious rule)

der Mann       –      die Frau
der Vater       –      die Mutter
der Sohn       –      die Tochter

also by animals

der Stier       –      die Kuh

"Babies" are neuter

das Kalb, das Fohlen, das Lamm, das Küken

Gender patterns for weather, calendar, plants.. found on this page!

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4983 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 128 of 436
24 March 2013 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
There are patterns. Check any grammar book for
them I'll check mine when I get home.. But there
are a lot of exceptions to the patterns too and
words that just don't fall into to the patterns. I'm
correcting lang 8
posts and you might think that English is a
pushover regarding articles since we have no
gender but
people still mess it up. A lot. They don't know
when to say a, the, some, or to leave it out. This
makes me
happy for some reason XD.

Edited by kraemder on 24 March 2013 at 6:02pm

This discussion contains 436 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version