kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4983 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 265 of 436
30 June 2013 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
lol I agree. I would like cyclists of all nationalities. I did a 50 mile ride this weekend. Trying to get back into it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 266 of 436
30 June 2013 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
I met up with someone yesterday who will hopefully be providing me with some French tutoring
over the summer. It's so disconcerting that although I understood her when she spoke French I
don't have the linguistic tools to reply very easily.

I have started using Michel Thomas in a bid to activate my French. It's not exactly teaching
me anything new but the format provides many prompts to help me remember how to say things.
1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 267 of 436
01 July 2013 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
I had my first French lesson tonight. I have to say, it was the best French lesson I've ever had.

I've realised that nothing motivates me to speak well more than being in the same room as a native speaker. I've used Skype heavily as a substitute, but it really isn't the same thing. It is so much easier to mimic pronunciation when you are in the same room, and the whole experience is so much more fun. I realised that my motivation for Japanese became a lot harder to maintain after the native speakers I knew in my city moved away. After having an amazing time in Germany, I found I couldn't focus as well on the language once I was back in the UK surrounded by English speakers again. But having spent this evening communicating in French with my tutor, I feel more motivated to work on my French than ever.

I guess as I mentioned in a post a few days ago, I am far more motivated to use a language than I am to study it.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 268 of 436
04 July 2013 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
I did a little pronunciation practice tonight. I recently discovered that the vowel in "sent"
is not the same as the vowel in "sont". Seems like French is full of these pronunciation
horrors, just waiting for me to discover them. Isolated, I can distinguish and reproduce.
However, much like my German friends u/ü it's a disaster putting them back into the fuller
utterances where they belong. Grr. I've realised when I spend too long on pronunciation I get
the same tension I experience when doing audio drills. So it's not an activity I can do for
long periods or every day. But I guess occasional work like this to help me notice my problem
areas is helpful.

I have also bored myself silly tonight with a few exercises from Schaum's French Grammar. I
figured if I can't get the pronunciation right I better work harder at the grammar!

Edit: I should add, in case it's not obvious, that in addition to all this studying stuff
which I'm not really enjoying I'm also keeping myself exposed to the language. I now read the
news and listen to the radio in French pretty much every day.

Edited by g-bod on 04 July 2013 at 9:52pm

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 269 of 436
06 July 2013 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
I have a persistent problem of collecting too much stuff and then struggling to let it go.
However, today I somehow managed to go through my bookcases and fill a whole box with things
to take to the charity shop. I almost have enough room for my music books again. One thing
that really helped was the realisation that I no longer need to hold on to English
translations of Japanese books. Yay!

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 270 of 436
16 July 2013 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
I am so fed up of French already!

Edit: hit the post button too early by mistake.

Anyway, despite having found myself a lovely French tutor, despite having enjoyed reading a
couple of French books, and having watched some good films (admittedly with subtitles) I'm
finding it really hard to love French. The pronunciation and orthography is driving me mad!
Basically, I'm finding it really hard to understand the spoken language. I think this is in
part because I don't have a reliable map in my head of how the language sounds. In fact, it
feels like every other day I'm discovering new vowels. And then there is the way that vowels
often seem to disappear altogether in the spoken language (although not so much in the
recordings in my coursebooks - which is pretty unhelpful in the long run!)

Listening is by far the most important skill for me. The fact that my French listening is so
thoroughly broken is therefore very frustrating.

Edited by g-bod on 16 July 2013 at 11:45pm

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4983 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 271 of 436
17 July 2013 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
I guess that's why you haven't updated in a bit. I was happy with the orthography explanation using ipa at the
beginning of my intermediate dictionary. It was actually a pretty good size dictionary and probably good for
advanced students just not for actual translators. I believe it's Collins. I can double check when I get home.
As with anything it is really a patience thing. I know when I was in France studying I was terribly frustrated
with the rhythm of the language and I could read it so much more easily but understanding anyone who want
a language teacher was impossible. But I think reading and sounding out in your head the correct
pronunciation really helps.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 272 of 436
17 July 2013 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
The problem is because I can't reliably sound things out in my head, reading doesn't help. I
think maybe I need to stick to only resources with audio and see what happens.

This discussion contains 436 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version