Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5782 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 185 of 436
23 April 2013 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
The problem with bulk input is I'd then have to go through each card and check that the furigana has generated correctly. I'd also have to go in and do the formatting manually for each card, which is quite specific for my Kanji in Context deck. The browse feature for Anki 2 feels just as awkward as the data entry so I don't really relish the thought of doing it this way. For single words, i.e. the German stuff I've been doing, bulk input works quite well.

Edited by g-bod on 23 April 2013 at 11:33pm

1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5782 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 186 of 436
24 April 2013 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:

If it's annoyed you that severely can't you export your current cards and re-import them
in Anki 1?

Just to confirm, I tried this today and it doesn't work if you want to include the scheduling information (which is obviously very important), because the new Anki package format used by Anki 2 is not recognised by 1.2.8.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5782 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 187 of 436
24 April 2013 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Well, it seems I can have both 1.2.8 and 2.0.8 installed and running at the same time. With a bit of careful file management, this may be a solution of sorts.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5782 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 188 of 436
24 April 2013 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
Fixed it.

I can do the data entry with 1.2.8. And then import what I've entered into 2.0.8 for doing the reviews. The import is actually pretty smooth. I can keep adding to the same deck in 1.2.8, and then when I run the import function in 2.0.8 it only picks up the new cards I've added and sticks them all in the same deck there. I don't have to worry about messing around with note types or formatting or anything.

Phew.

I think I'm going to have to keep backups in several locations of the install files for 1.2.8 (including Japanese Support) though. Just in case.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5782 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 189 of 436
27 April 2013 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
Well it seems I'm definitely easing myself back into a period of Japanese study now. Since I seem to be no good at doing simultaneous study, this inevitably means that German is back on the backburner - although no doubt only until I get bored of studying Japanese again.

The only thing is I'm finding it quite hard to set any real kind of goals for myself at the moment, so I'm just kind of following my nose in terms of what activities I'm doing. It's not a bad approach, except for the occasional moments of doubt along the lines of "what's the point of doing this anyway?"

I love the fact that apart from my Anki rage earlier this week it's actually been surprisingly easy to pick up Kanji in Context where I left off. It's good to know that next time I want a three month break from Japanese, this shouldn't be a problem. Having said that, although I am learning a lot of new things from the Kanji in Context workbook, the ratio of known:partially known:unknown is still very much in my favour in terms of the material covered. As the amount of unknown stuff increases (which it is bound to do in a series which tries to prioritise most common kanji first), I can only guess that it will take longer to cover everything.

I've also picked up my ドラえもん history manga, again where I left off. I'm now coming to the end of 平安時代. It seems to be rattling through the centuries at incredible speed and is getting a little more heavy going thanks to all the various historical figures it is introducing who I have never heard of before and whose names I am struggling to remember. But amidst all this somehow I am starting to develop a little bit of contextual knowledge, which I can only build on later.

I've also started watching an anime series. It's the first new anime I've watched in rather a long time and I have to confess I was struggling so hard to get the gist of what was going on I had to resort to subtitles. The plus side of this is that at least my husband gets to watch it with me and hopefully I'll be able to rewatch it later without subs. Although the subject matter is quite different to Heian-era Japan, there is some crossover in vocabulary between my reading and watching material, which is creating a rather nice synergy.

I'm back listening to JapanesePod lower intermediate lessons too and they feel just challenging enough for my current mood. I either feel like I have learned a little something new, or just revised something useful.

I think if I was desperate for more progress, I'd have to push myself a little harder, but for now I think I'm happy with what I'm doing.

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4984 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 190 of 436
28 April 2013 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
Woot, glad you're back to Japanese. And i wonder if people will guilt
trip you for using subs like they do to me in my log hehe. Your using
subs isn't a good influence on me :-P.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5782 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 191 of 436
28 April 2013 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
Well it does feel like it doesn't count as studying if I use subs! But I did watch the first couple of eps without subs to start with and was totally lost.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5782 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 192 of 436
29 April 2013 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
I've discovered how to override the "new improved" learning mode in Anki. To be fair, the new improved learning mode actually was pretty effective when I was memorising German nouns. However, for the way I work with Kanji in Context it is overkill. By the time I've got them into Anki to review them, I've already spent enough time with the phrases and sentences, looking things up, thinking and analysing where I need to (and asking a real person if I'm totally flummoxed), that I don't need to review them twice in 10 minutes to help make them "stick".

I've also decided that for now I want to focus most of my efforts on reading. I think it would be nice if I could give my reading skills a boost in the same way I did my listening skills last year. So basically I think this means working on the minutiae with the assistance of Kanji in Context, which does a great job of delivering a few intermediate/advanced level grammar points and vocab at the same time as the kanji, while also building up my real reading ability by reading lots of stuff.

Out of all the skills, I am actually least confident in writing. More precisely, I am constantly uncertain about what kind of register is appropriate for what kind of situation. The thought of writing an email to someone who I would actually be fairly comfortable speaking to face to face still terrifies me to some degree. I'm not sure how written mistakes are any worse than the spoken mistakes I would inevitably make, but I guess at least face to face any misunderstanding is easier to deal with and learn from.

Anyway, since my reading is still relatively weak compared to listening (thanks mainly to those mysterious kanji, but also admittedly to lack of practice), I expect learning to read better may help me in the long term with learning to write better. And even if it doesn't, learning to read better just for the sake of reading better is not a bad idea at all.

This discussion contains 436 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version