Joined 4464 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 161 of 436
13 April 2013 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
I have gone and bought myself a new language learning tool which I think
will really help me to keep track of grammar notes. Behold, the whiteboard!

Excellent contrast on that thing - what make of tablet is it :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 162 of 436
14 April 2013 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
Excellent contrast on that thing - what make of tablet is it :-)

Hehe, yeah, the only downside is that it only came with six colours for the screen - although I could see that expansion packs were available :)
1 person has voted this message useful

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4983 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 163 of 436
14 April 2013 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
It's funny. I decided to upgrade my white board too. I have a mini
one that fits in my bag.. Decided I wanted something bigger at home
though. It's not going on the wall however.

Edited by kraemder on 14 April 2013 at 6:29am

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 164 of 436
14 April 2013 at 11:39am | IP Logged 
It's great actually. I wanted somewhere obvious to keep grammar points while I'm still learning them. If I write things down in exercise books they're more likely to get lost than reviewed. I've already filled it with all the key grammar points from Chapter 2 and it's there to remind me every time I enter the room.

And the office was looking so bare for so long because I couldn't make my mind up about getting a picture for the wall. Now I can just make my own...

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4464 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 165 of 436
14 April 2013 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
I did use a small wipeable whiteboard when I was learning the kana. Sadly I was the only
one in the house who remembered to put the pen caps back on, so that sadly fell by the
wayside. It was useful while it lasted though ...

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 166 of 436
16 April 2013 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
I was just looking over my log as I felt I needed a reminder of my goals (I guess it's a bad sign when you can't even remember what your goals are). Anyway I spotted that I'd finished chapter 1 of Begegnungen on 11th February and now, over two months later, I've still not quite finished chapter 2. At this rate I think I'm probably following the pace of a poor quality high school class. So going back to what I was saying the other time about needing to do my homework, it is more obvious than ever that I need to pull my finger out a bit.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4464 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 167 of 436
16 April 2013 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
it is more obvious than ever that I need to pull my finger out a bit.

One of most positive things about HTLAL is that it's encouraged me to keep a log. I find
that just keeping track of what I'm doing is enough to show me that I need to more X and
less Y or that I'm not keeping on top of my short term or long term goals.

Now I just need to start tracking all the other things that need doing so that they don't
get pushed out of my life by Japanese :-)

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 168 of 436
16 April 2013 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
After my despair at myself this morning, I went back over my Assimil notebook. Fortunately I've developed the habit of dating everything I write down in it. So although I have spent over two months trying to get through a single chapter of Begegnungen, in the same time span I have also done some 27 Assimil lessons. It's hardly working at a rate of one lesson a day - if you ignore my two weeks official holiday it's pretty much one lesson every two days - but at least there has been a certain degree of continuity with it. I've also listened to a number of the Deutsche Welle podcasts (although I haven't kept a reliable record of what and when) and I did finish reading that Lernkrimi, so there is definitely some activity going on over here, just not as much as I would aspire too.

I thought that the time might be right to look back at my goals for German. On the whole I think they were fairly undemanding, and in the short term quite reasonable. I'm not convinced of the value of Assimil's active wave, but I'm convinced enough of the value of the course overall to want to at least stick to finishing the passive wave for all lessons, and I may as well do the active wave for the first 50 lessons in tandem, and review again once I hit the last passive wave lesson. I'm treating the Deutsche Welle podcasts more as something I can do for passive review rather than deep and serious study, so I don't want to make any commitment beyond listening to them as and when I feel like it! I do want to make more of an effort to work through Begegnungen at a more intensive pace (ideally one chapter every 2 weeks, rather than 2.5 months!) so I guess this is the only major change to my goals.

Well there is one slightly more major more long term goal I would like to aim for. I would like to sit (and pass) a B2 exam in German in May/June 2014. A1 to B2 in 12 months? I think this is achievable, at least if I start working a little harder. If it gets to exam entry time and I'm not ready, I may well go for B1 instead. But really that's a decision for next year.

The other thing I am looking at is trying to change a couple of habits in order to study more efficiently. Since goodness knows how long ago, the first thing I do when I get in from work is turn the computer on. My recent holiday taught me that I don't need to spend every day sat at a computer, or even on the internet, and yet it was surprising how quickly I got back into the old routine. I do still kind of need the computer for adding/reviewing with Anki, but that is never the first thing I do when I turn the computer on... So the first habit I want to change is that rather than switching the computer on when I get in from work, I will open up my textbook and study a little bit. I did just that when I got in from work today, and before I knew it I'd completely finished the grammar section for the chapter. The other habit I want to change is spending less time browsing the internet on my phone when I get up in the morning. This will be tougher because I am really bad at mornings. It takes me a few minutes to get to grips with being awake in the first place, which was always my excuse for spending a few minutes chilling out in bed, reading the news or HTLAL. Except these days a few minutes seems to turn into three quarters of an hour before I remember I need to go to work. My start/finish times are flexible, so generally the sooner I get in to work, the sooner I can come home, which gives me more evening time to study.

Since my 2013 TAC has had a distinctly German flavour so far, I asked if I could become a member of Team Schnitzel, and was kindly accepted. I know some of my fellow 桜 members are also Schnitzels, but I will endeavour to get up to speed with everybody else's logs over the next few days. I'm sure I'll have a lot to learn from them.

This discussion contains 436 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version