Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 361 of 436
23 September 2013 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
I have an app, "Task Hammer", which I use for my To-Do-List. It allows me to prioritize items like you mentioned, and I get points (even for the "low" items). It's really motivating to work this way.

Edited by Sunja on 23 September 2013 at 8:42pm

1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 362 of 436
23 September 2013 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
Haha, that app looks dangerous. Real life could become quite addictive with an RPG style interface!

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4464 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 363 of 436
24 September 2013 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
Haha, that app looks dangerous. Real life could become quite addictive
with an RPG style interface!

Quote:
You can be a barbarian, a rouge or a sorceress

Is a "rouge" a rogue with blusher :-)

I think that I'll stick to something less addictive. I can easily get hooked on neat
software, gathering resources, posting on HTLAL ... in fact anything marginally related
to language learning that isn't actually language learning.

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4983 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 364 of 436
24 September 2013 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
I wish they had this for iPhone... Sounds awesome. I'm gonna have to dust off my android tablet I'm not
using.

fionn
United Kingdom
Joined 3889 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: German

Message 365 of 436
26 September 2013 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
Just want to say I have read all of your logs and whenever I need inspiration I come here :)

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4431 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 366 of 436
27 September 2013 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
A bit slow to comment, but thanks for mentioning me here :) It was all my pleasure. If
you want another skype, tell me, it'd be my pleasure again! It good to calm down after a
hard day!

Btw, people! Don't believe her when she says her french is rusty! It's false! I was
really surprised really. An hour of talking in French and you could understand my badly
articulated-fast-french! That's not given to everybody! (Even my parents have trouble
sometimes!)
3 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 367 of 436
29 September 2013 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the feedback Fionn.

Yuhakko, I would love to Skype with you again. We can sort out a date by PM.

I ran out of steam a little towards the end of this week. I was busy at work and wasn't sleeping too well at night. Partly my own fault for going to bed too late and partly the fault of a broken burglar alarm down the street which keeps going off in the early hours of the morning.

Sleep or no sleep, I find it hard to stay focused on textbooks. But I did remind myself of my golden rule for language learning: if you can't be bothered to study, watch TV. I've got back into watching the French version of Les Mystérieuses Citées D'Or which I can enjoy quite comfortably without subs. I also watched some films: Jean de Florette, Manon des Sources and Taxi. I watched these with subs, it was a bit too tough without, but at least I started to get annoyed by the subs on Taxi, which change some cultural references for the benefit of ignorant Anglophones and naturally miss some of the wordplay.

Hopefully today I'll find the time and motivation to dust the grammar book back off. I'll also practice some Japanese later today. Sundays are good days for language work.

Edited by g-bod on 29 September 2013 at 12:18pm

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 368 of 436
29 September 2013 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
Argh my Japanese feels so broken right now. Well, that's the price I pay for neglecting it almost entirely in favour of French. One hour a week on Skype is clearly not enough to keep things going. I just get this desperate feeling once again that there is not enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

EDIT: Having reminded myself once again of the golden rule I sat down and watched an episode of 相棒. I definitely had a harder time with it than previous episodes, which just goes to show that I've been a bit too lazy with my Japanese lately (or is that too carried away with French...) But I still followed the basics of the plot and enjoyed watching it.

Edited by g-bod on 29 September 2013 at 6:33pm

This discussion contains 436 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version