Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 137 of 436
01 April 2013 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
I also opened up Anki, saw that 270 cards were due in my Kanji in Context deck, so closed it down again right away!

oh, I think I would pass out. I've started using anki again myself but I equate it with smoking -- too many a day and you feel you're a slave to it. I completely shut down and give up if I see too many.

It sounds like you got to see quite a bit of Germany. BTW, what's the name of the hotel with the mouse? It sounds like a place to avoid.
1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 138 of 436
01 April 2013 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
I've found that Anki + Kanji in Context + loads of exposure to real Japanese is actually a winning combination. But just doing Anki reviews without the other bits isn't very helpful and quickly descends into pain, misery and boredom. I'm thinking I might just drop doing reviews for the sake of it, but save the deck for a time in the future when I feel like intensively studying Japanese again.

Actually, I've been playing around with Memrise a bit this morning. That's what a lazy bank holiday does to me. I never really used it for Japanese because the format that it offered didn't really fit with what I wanted to study. But it looks like it could work just fine for drilling nouns (with articles) in German. I like how easy it is for me to upload a wordlist into the system

As for that hotel, if you really want to know I can PM you the details!

Edited by g-bod on 01 April 2013 at 2:45pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 139 of 436
01 April 2013 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
With Anki I'm just sticking to the single kanji, but I haven't gotten far with reviewing at all. Where do you get your sentences? shows?

I'm just too curious about that mouse. I'm baffled. Barns, yes, Hotels, no! ;)
~(=^・ω・^)

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 140 of 436
01 April 2013 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
The sentences come straight from the Kanji in Context workbooks - which are basically a whole set of example sentences for nearly every kanji on the old Joyo list. I don't have the patience to hunt down Japanese subtitles, pause and look things up all the time when watching a show!

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5884 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 141 of 436
01 April 2013 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
I read a couple of forum reviews for those books and they appear to be a bit too advanced for me yet ^^ Kanji in Context certainly looks like something to work towards! It's useful having all your sentences packed into one source. That makes it easier. If I need a context I usually have to hunt around - Tatoeba, various sources and such..

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 142 of 436
01 April 2013 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
If you're happy to take sentences from various online sources, I don't think Kanji in Context would pose too much trouble for you. The two main breakthroughs I needed to really get to grips with the sentences was being able to understand common keigo expressions and to be able to figure out who was doing the verb when the passive or giving/receiving verbs were used.

On the other hand, if you're happy to take sentences from various online sources, there's probably no need to waste money on Kanji in Context either!

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 143 of 436
04 April 2013 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
It seems like my language studies are taking a more solid change of direction now, in favour of German over Japanese. Me and my husband have started studying from my Begegnungen textbook together for an hour a night after dinner. It's kind of weird having a study partner, but totally worth it because I no longer have to do the "Fragen Sie Ihr Nachbarn" type questions with a make belief partner. I've corrected his pronunciation a couple of times and he's corrected my grammar, so together we make an ok team, at least at this level. I also discovered that I could create a Memrise course with all the vocabulary we "collect" when we study together, which we can then both use to review it, which is pretty cool. The only downside is that we've had to start the book again from the beginning, but as I was only part way through the second chapter it's not such a problem, and it's all good review considering I hadn't actually used the book since before we went away.

I did a pretty good job of picking up Assimil where I left off, however. The active wave is not as bad as I was expecting, but I guess the first two or three weeks of lessons are really not that difficult. I reckon it will start to get harder around the fourth week.

I think I'm going to have to order the second season of Big Bang Theory from Amazon.de. We've almost finished the first season already, although I'm sure there is value in repeat viewing too!

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4646 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 144 of 436
05 April 2013 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
Wow, well... good luck with German!

This discussion contains 436 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version