Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 201 of 436
04 May 2013 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
Just did a pass of the next chapter - 13 items need further study, 12 items don't.

This is definitely going to be a better approach!

Edit: I've also just had a major trim on the Anki deck. I filtered out all the cards with an interval greater than 3 months which I have never failed - I think it's fairly safe to assume I know those cards. This took out pretty much half the cards in the deck already.

Edited by g-bod on 04 May 2013 at 12:53pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Sterogyl
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4166 days ago

152 posts - 263 votes 
Studies: German*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese, Norwegian

Message 202 of 436
04 May 2013 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
I think the systematic study of kanji is invaluable for learning Japanese as a whole. I'm not the biggest fan of SRS/Anki (although I use it on a daily basis), but when it comes to mastering kanji, nothing can beat its effectiveness imo.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 203 of 436
06 May 2013 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
I woke up this morning thinking in Japanese. That's not happened for a few months. In fact, last time it happened I was watching a lot of Japanese TV and spending a lot of time reading a Japanese book around December last year. And over the last few days I've been watching Japanese TV and spending some time reading Japanese books (I'll post which ones if I ever get around to finishing them!). I just wonder if I can keep up the effort this time and start moving from thinking in it when I'm still half asleep to actually making some kind of progress in real active use.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 204 of 436
08 May 2013 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
I'm still tweaking my approach to Kanji in Context. For the last couple of lessons I only used the workbook (and only made Anki cards for those items I didn't already completely understand). Taking out things I definitely already know is certainly a good step in making things more efficient. However, after doing a couple of chapters with workbook only I've realised I do still need to run through the reference book and refresh my kanji knowledge with it. The system will often group similar looking kanji in the same chapter and if I'm too lazy about it I'll miss important details about the forms of the characters, which is making data entry and review harder when I'm using workbook only.

So, I'm still going to start with the workbook, to eliminate things I know already. But then I will go back and spend some time with the reference book making sure I can spot the difference between things like 論倫輪輸

Doing this I should be able to still get through 2-3 chapters in a week without going mad. But it means this will be at least a year long project if I do want to get to the end...

I guess it's a bit like losing weight. To do it properly, it takes time and you have to go at a steady pace, no matter how desperate you are to see results straight away!

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4847 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 205 of 436
08 May 2013 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
But then I will go back and spend some time with the reference book making sure I can spot the difference between things like 論倫輪輸

Can you usually not, even if context is provided? How does it feel like?

Edited by Takato on 08 May 2013 at 6:12pm

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 206 of 436
08 May 2013 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
I generally have no trouble reading words like 不倫,論理,指輪,輸出 if they show up in appropriate contexts. But at a glance I tend to see the shape of the word as a whole rather than the details of the characters. The bonus of this is I have picked up the ability to recognise a surprising amount of vocabulary without studying the kanji specifically. But there are two drawbacks. The obvious one is that I wouldn't be able to write the words by hand (which with computers is not a huge problem). But the other issue is that I would struggle to recognise the same characters outside a familiar context - for example in a word that I don't know yet, or don't know very well, or if it is being used in an unusual way. I guess having a better knowledge of the characters just helps me better figure out the puzzle when I'm on unknown territory (not to mention assisting with dictionary lookups).

I would estimate that I know maybe 4-500 characters really well and would have no problem reproducing them in writing, remembering the most common readings, and recognising them both in familiar and unfamiliar situations, in or out of context. Then there are another 4-500 characters which really fall into the category above. It was good enough to get me through JLPT N2, but I am still dissatisfied, hence my current plan to boost my kanji knowledge. Not to mention the rest of the jouyou kanji, which I guess are still a mystery to me!

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 207 of 436
08 May 2013 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
OK, so without going back to the Reference Book to take a closer look at the kanji for the last workbook chapter I entered into Anki, I reviewed all the workbook cards again this evening. And all but two of the cards that were giving me so much trouble yesterday were absolutely fine today.

Well, I just don't know what's going on with my brain sometimes...

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 208 of 436
08 May 2013 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
Argh I broke Anki again. I tried to tidy up the formatting on the deck I had in Anki 2. Great. Then I tried to import the data entry I'd done using 1.2.8, but Anki 2 decided that since I'd tidied the formating, they must all be brand new cards. So it's reimported another 1039 of the same cards into the same deck.

This time I give up for real.

This discussion contains 436 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version