Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 369 of 436
29 September 2013 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
I've finally got back up to date with my kanji decks on Anki. After my brief attempt to timebox my way through them after coming back from holiday I went ahead and avoided them completely for three whole weeks. I managed to get through them in three quarters of an hour (although I split this up into smaller chunks of 55 cards at a time). I actually quite enjoy the feeling of writing out a few kanji in pencil, so it wasn't so bad.

I think I've learned an important lesson this weekend. I can put Japanese away completely for 2-3 weeks with no ill effect, which is really good news because we all need a holiday from time to time. However, if I extend this to 5-6 weeks it seriously suffers - or at least large parts of what I've learned stop being immediately available.

Of course, as soon as I realise my Japanese is suffering I'm suddenly motivated to drop everything in favour of Japanese. I hate having such a single minded personality at times though, because it doesn't help me with my French when I'm desperate to work on Japanese!

I remember often reading people on HTLAL talking about getting a language good enough that they can "just" maintain it, while learning another one. But seriously, "just" maintaining a language seems to take quite a lot of effort as it is. Maybe it would be easier if I wasn't still the wrong side of the kanji barrier. I won't know until I break that one down, which would probably still take another couple of years of consistent work. I should have picked an easier language...
1 person has voted this message useful

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4983 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 370 of 436
29 September 2013 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Yeah I feel like German isn't going to go anywhere for me even if I ignore it. Japanese I'm not so sure. I
suppose I out in more years into German and no kanji involved...

Anyway, how did you catch up on 3 weeks worth of anki in 3/4 of an hour???

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 371 of 436
30 September 2013 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
I'm pretty sure if I ignore French again it will go back into hiding and will take a few
weeks to coax out once again. I seem to only have two modes when it comes to languages:
active study or vacation. I can't get the hang of maintenance.

As for Anki, I had something like 320 due cards. If it was closer to 1000 I would have just
deleted the deck!

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 372 of 436
30 September 2013 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
This evening has been a Japanese evening. I watched another episode of 相棒, started back up on studying my kanji book, and flicked through a borrowed copy of Minna no Nihongo Chuukyuu I (the same one I quickly flicked through last time I was in JP Books in London). It definitely looks like the intermediate textbook I needed a couple of years ago. I still don't know whether it's worth me buying my own copy and working my way through it properly, especially since I don't have a good track record of working through any textbooks. But I like the presence of answers, audio, and English translations of the grammar points that actually make sense. It's a similar feeling I had when I first got hold of the new editions of Japanese for Busy People, a kind of desperate regret that I hadn't found them sooner.

I've come to accept that formal study of kanji is kind of essential for me to progress at this stage. I'm not sure if I have to take such a formal structured approach to grammar at the moment though. Maybe I should just continue watching more TV and reading more books until I hit a serious plateau in comprehension. Or at least until I can spell out more precisely which sentence structures give me particular trouble, as I was able to do with French recently.

Poor French. I woke up in a cold sweat this morning thinking "No! I can't give up on French again!" I almost hated Japanese for a moment. But then I had lots of weird dreams in the night and woke up a few times with confused thoughts about many strange things.

I still don't know how to best use my spare time to get the most out of both languages.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 373 of 436
04 October 2013 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
I've now had my first Skype Japanese lesson since coming back from holiday. My Japanese is almost back up to speed since my poor showing at the weekend, but some strange gaps have developed. For some reason I just couldn't remember how to say "I have to do..." After the lesson I sat thinking about it for some time because it was really annoying me, until I remembered that I needed しなければならない. Yes, it's a bit of a mouthful, but seriously I should never have forgotten such a basic construction. And now my memory has returned, I feel a little foolish. Hopefully this just means I'll remember it for longer now!

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4983 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 374 of 436
04 October 2013 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Haha ;p. I usually use the contraction anyway. There's a few ways to say it and sometimes I can only think of
one way and that makes me feel less than smart heh.

*edit*

Btw when I forgot how to say it I could only think of なくてはいけない

Edited by kraemder on 04 October 2013 at 4:43am

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5924 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 375 of 436
04 October 2013 at 7:08am | IP Logged 
Hey guys. I'm back on the Anki for Japanese again too this, which I'm doing on the train to my job. I think I have better luck making it through textbooks than I do Japanese novels. I keep buying them, but I just lose interest before I get too far in.

Going to make another go (3rd try) at N2 this year.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 376 of 436
04 October 2013 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with N2 cathrynm!

I've just about recovered from the shock of passing it myself. Let me know if you'd like any
info about how I prepared for the test.

This discussion contains 436 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version