Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4672 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 329 of 436
23 August 2013 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
Why would you bring books TO France, when you can just buy books when you get there? :p

I'm currently reading 世界の終りとハードボイルド・ワンダーラン ド by Haruki Murakami*,
and I don't find it too difficult. I encounter on average about 2 unknown words per
page, but you might find it easier; you've been learning the language for four more
years than I have.
As the name suggests, it's a pretty weird novel... :p

(*hopefully we're referring to the same Murakami)

1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4464 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 330 of 436
23 August 2013 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:

But since I'm going to France, shouldn't I bring some French reading with me? And I can
at least guarantee that I would be able to read that extensively...

Whenever I've been in France I've managed to find plenty of stuff to read: newspapers
and magazines are cheap. Books less so, but I've always been able to find a bookshop
wherever I've gone.

I took half a dozen Japanese grammar books on holiday over the last week; I only used
two of them, so I guess I know how you feel.

My daughter took a Kindle, so she had plenty of reading material. It was certainly
readable in very bright sunshine and it would have been an ideal way to lug around a
few hundred books. My problems are that I don't know how well it handles Japanese and I
don't like the idea of a book reader that someone else (Amaz*n) can control and from
which they can remotely delete content. sooner or later a suitable e-reader will
appear.

Enjoy the French immersion :-)

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4983 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 331 of 436
23 August 2013 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
I'd bring something in French. If you're in France how could you study something else? But not a lot - like it was pointed out it's more fun to buy reading material when you're there XD.

@Stifa - You're reading a Japanese novel and finding just a couple unknown words per page and you've been studying Japanese for just over a year? That depresses me a lot haha.

2 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 332 of 436
23 August 2013 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
I have quite enough French books and magazines at home and yet there is already a very good chance my suitcase will come home somewhat heavier than when I left...to add to that, I will be spending a night in London, which means I'll probably end up doing some kind of Japanese book shopping as well...

I would dearly love the convenience of a Kindle or similar, but I'm avoiding it due to all the region locking - the Kindle app even flips out on my phone when I have it switched to Japanese mode, which I do most of the time. Come on Amazon JP Kindle store, let me pay you money in return for digital books already! Well, at least while the rights holders are arguing things out between themselves I'm providing DHL with a regular income to support my Japanese dead tree habit!

世界の終りとハードボイルド・ワンダーラン ド is actually the one Murakami novel I've read in English. And yes, it is pretty weird! I'm impressed at how well you can read it after just one year of study though. Impressed and ever so slightly jealous!

Edited by g-bod on 23 August 2013 at 10:39pm

rewire
Groupie
United States
learninglane.tumblr.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4346 days ago

82 posts - 90 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 333 of 436
23 August 2013 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
Oh, I liked 世界の終りとハードボイルド・ワンダーラン ド when I read it in English. I'd watched
Haibane Renmei first, though, and naively didn't realize Murakami was the influence on
aBe's town of Glie, so I asked my professor (of modern Japanese lit) if that sort of
town was a common theme in Japanese literature, and she kind of just stared at me
blankly. I'm not sure I could read it in Japanese yet, but I definitely would like to.

I have a Barnes & Noble Nook Touch, which I rooted so I can use Aldiko or Moon Reader
with non-DRM ebooks, though I haven't really tried to load Japanese books on it yet. I
know it's possible, I just haven't really wanted to bother. Did do it on my phone (and
tried out Moon Reader's reading out loud function too, which was interesting), but I
couldn't really read Japanese at the time anyway, so it was sort of pointless.

Hope you have fun on your trip, though! I pondered similar things when I was going on
vacation a couple weeks ago and decided not to take any of my Japanese books (but
brought home some more).

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4672 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 334 of 436
23 August 2013 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
kraemder wrote:
@Stifa - You're reading a Japanese novel and finding just a couple
unknown words per page and you've been studying Japanese for just over a year? That
depresses me a lot haha.

There were parts where I did struggle, for instance during the "Soviet history lesson".
Also, that book is in fact a bit easier to understand than the Japanese translation of
Harry Potter.

I guess I focused too much on reading and too little on the other skills; my listening
comprehension is awful, and my active skills are really lagging behind.

What are you planning to do in France btw? Language practice and tourist stuff?

Have fun and enjoy your trip! :D

Edited by stifa on 23 August 2013 at 11:22pm

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 335 of 436
23 August 2013 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
I plan to enjoy the sunshine, visit the beach, relax and eat too much French food! I booked the trip purely out of a desire for good weather and relaxation, so any language practice will just be a convenient side effect!

Anyway, I've settled on bringing スプートニクの恋人 and 中国行きのスロウ・ボート. Maybe I'll finally get a novel under my belt when I'm away. Maybe.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4431 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 336 of 436
24 August 2013 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
Good choice! Bringing just a bit of Japanese is a good idea : you don't totally stop
studying it, but can relax while doing so. Furthermore, you gotta read some French as
you're going to France!

D'ailleurs, tu vas aller où en France déjà? à Paris ou tu fais un tour ailleurs? Tu
parles de plage donc je suppose que tu partiras plus vers le sud non?

Small french practice to get you in shape! ;)

This discussion contains 436 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version