Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5782 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 233 of 436
10 June 2013 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
A few days ago I refreshed my Sharedtalk account to add French to my profile and get rid of the other languages. I then spent the next couple of days logging into text chat and completely wimping out of answering any requests to chat from French speakers! Well, tonight I decided this had to change and managed to hit my first important milestone and have had my first text chat with a real French speaker. I'm not quite ready for a voice chat, but I hope to cross that barrier very soon. On the one hand I have surprised myself at some of the sentences and expressions I've been able to use, but on the other hand I have struggled to recall some really basic things. But on the whole I'm very happy with my effort.

I've noticed some weird but important gaps in my knowledge though. Those moments where I can't find the French quickly enough and the Japanese (or even worse, the German) comes flooding into my head instead. One significant problem which should hopefully be quite easy to fix is all those important conversational fillers. I need equivalent crutches in French to things like そうですか, そうですね etc!
1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4465 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 234 of 436
10 June 2013 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
@dampingwire I expect with your knowledge of Italian you'll probably have an
easier time with French grammar than me! To what level did you study it at school?

I took French to O-level at school (i.e. to age 16). Since then I've tried a few times to
improve it, mostly by reading books that I find in the library. I can get the jist of TV
but that's about all. I really do need to work on it properly sometime.

The Italian helped at school: mostly because the grammar isn't hugely different and I
pretty much knew that it wasn't going to be a word-for-word translation of English :-)

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4465 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 235 of 436
10 June 2013 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
@dampingwire was the TV news course you used on TV5.org called 7 jours
sur la planète? I had a go with this last night. You get a news programme just under
half an hour long which summarises all the main stories from the previous week.

It was 2 or 3 years ago and I don't remember the title, but it was pretty obviously a
section of the site that was designed to teach. The format sounds exactly the same. I
either never realised or had forgotten that it changed on a regular basis.

I remember being impressed at the time that they made an effort to provide teaching
materials for free (where as TF wanted a subscription if you wanted to watch their
programmes at all).

g-bod wrote:
That was pretty humbling.

That's how I feel about my French too ... but that will change one day :-)

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4432 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 236 of 436
12 June 2013 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
I'd say the equivalent to そうですね would be something like "pas vrai?"、and for そうで
すか, something like "vraiment?". It really depends on the situation and there are
actually tons of similar expressions in french!
2 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5782 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 237 of 436
15 June 2013 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Thanks yuhakko, that's really helpful. I guess vraiment might also work for 本当? If there
are any other good conversational expressions you can think of I'd be very interested.

I haven't had so much energy for intensive study this week but I've been listening to French
radio every day. I also caught a documentary about Corsica on TV5 a couple of days ago. For
the first few minutes I couldn't understand anything and nearly turned it off when suddenly
it started to make sense. My listening still veers between understanding almost everything
and understanding next to nothing, which is a weird and slightly disorienting experience. I
think I just need to keep listening!

I'm also making the effort to read something from le Monde on a daily basis, with variable
results. There is, however, a nice synergy between reading the news then listening to the
bulletins on the radio too.

I haven't managed to study Assimil every day, but when I do study it I tend to cover 2 or 3
lessons at a time. Given my background in the language this is working out just fine. It does
make me smile how on the one hand Assimil tells you that you will get the hang of what sounds
right in time, while at the same time insisting you must memorise gender. I actually prefer
the way the German edition treats noun gender (though admittedly the issue is a little more
complicated in German). Anyway, my approach to gender right now is to pay attention to the
gender of nouns in texts and try to train my brain that it matters.

I also discovered that the Grammaire Progressive niveau débutant textbook I have is already
too basic for me. I donated it to my husband and made a start with niveau intermédiaire
instead. I love the format of the book and wish that something similar existed for Japanese.

Edited by g-bod on 15 June 2013 at 6:11pm

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5782 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 238 of 436
16 June 2013 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
So after wanting a bit more information about liaison than is provided in the first few
Assimil lessons I spent today doing a bit of research on French pronunciation. And I made a
terrible discovery. French has more vowels than I realised! I have had 8 years of French
classes, 3 of which were under a native speaker, and yet it's only today I discovered, for
example, that the verb endings -ais and -ez are pronounced differently. I have a lot of work
to do, I never realised my French was quite so broken.

On a more positive note, I've started reading Le Petit Prince. I soon realised I wouldn't get
far without a review of the passé simple and managed to find on my shelf a grammar book which
did the job (Schaum's, which was a recommended purchase for the course I dropped out of last
year). All I needed to do was take a quick look through the conjugation tables and common
irregulars (être becoming je fus etc is the weirdest), and I had enough information to go
back and read happily.

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4984 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 239 of 436
17 June 2013 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
I'm curious, what's the difference? It's been a while since I looked at
french but I would pronounce those the same.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4465 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 240 of 436
17 June 2013 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
kraemder wrote:
I'm curious, what's the difference? It's been a while since I looked at
french but I would pronounce those the same.

I'm not sure that I pronounce "allez/aller" and "jamais" the same way that (say)
wordreference.com thinks a native French speaker would pronounce them, but I think
I pronounce them differently.

This discussion contains 436 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version