Diglot
Poland
Joined 6653 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French

Message 121 of 297
10 February 2006 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
None of the above at all - I can't read the Cyrillic alphabet...
1 person has voted this message useful

Arti
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6800 days ago

130 posts - 165 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: French, Czech

Message 122 of 297
11 February 2006 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
Tweek wrote:
Well, to an English native speaker it probably does, however while the grammar is pretty similar, the vocabulary is - to a large extent - different. I can't understand Russian at all.

Written Polish is comprehensible for 80% for me, spoken as well, i even understood what was on the radio, it's very strange that you don't understand Russian, possibly Russians speak more quickly?

And in my personal rating French is number 1, Czech is number 2, Turkish is third, though i can't say it s something beautiful for me, i am just intrested:)

Tweek
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6653 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French

Message 123 of 297
11 February 2006 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
Well maybe I should familiarize myself better with Russian - unfortunately I've never had much contact with the language, so it's hard to distinguish the words.

nox
Diglot
Groupie
Croatia
Joined 6649 days ago

62 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English
Studies: German

Message 124 of 297
12 February 2006 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
I'm glad i found slavic speakers on this forum. I'm Croatian, born in a small tourist place. Many Polishs, Czechs and Germans come here every summer. Frenchs started coming two years ago (but really started - there is one hotel only reserved for Frenchs).
I have met a loads of Czechs and Polishs (mostly girls ;))and I can understand most of the speech. I love Slavic languages. My great wish is to learn a few of them once.
Romance languages, especialy Spanish, sound very comfortable to my ears.

Someone here wrote a post about Croatian sounding nice. Most of foregins (French, for example) find it too hard (many words with little vowels). But still, this is my favorite, of course. There are only 4-5milion of us speakers.. The only foregin speakers i know are czechs who visit croatia (my place, to be percise) every year.

Spanish - my nuber one 'to do' at the moment (I'm learning it at school too, so why don't work on it at home too?)
Italian - very nice language (it was my first choice, but then it turned there is no such course in my school), I'll work on in one day maybe..
French - awful 'r' sound. I more like it than i don't.. it's not on the top of my to do list.
English - just like ror-rrr-ror-rr-ror, in the beginning.. now i just find it very useful. British eng. sounds better, AmE is yuk..
German - a very percise language, as i have heard so far, i like some of the sounds, I'll maybe try once to learn a bit of it.

Romance and Slavic languages! Arti and Tweek, have you ever had a chance to hear someone talking Croatian? What do you think of Croatian? I've met only one guy who lived in Russia and know the language, but I only said to him 'do svidanja' (?).

Edited by nox on 12 February 2006 at 8:00pm

saminita22
Australia
Joined 6638 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: Italian

Message 125 of 297
24 February 2006 at 8:27am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone!

I'm new here and i'm quite happy to find this forum to discuss language stuff. I'm still getting familiar with the site. i was running through the different posts and found most comments quite interesting, althought something surprised me and it was the amount of people who do not like Spanish. As a native speaker i accept i might be biased but i always thought it was without a doubt a beautiful language. I still stick to my belief but i would like to know your opinion about it. Some people say in a rather dismissive tone that Spanish is a very easy language, now in my opinion English is a lot easier. Spanish uses all these verbal tenses which people from an English background tend to find quite difficult, some people never ever end up getting it right.On the other hand the fact that Spanish grammar and spelling are easy is undeniable and i think that it is a point in favor of it. I'd like to know what does Spanish language sound like to you?, personally i like the sound of italian the language that i'm learning at the moment, also croatian has an appealing sound to me.

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6891 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 126 of 297
24 February 2006 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
saminita22 wrote:
....althought something surprised me and it was the amount of people who do not like Spanish. As a native speaker i accept i might be biased but i always thought it was without a doubt a beautiful language. I still stick to my belief but i would like to know your opinion about it. Some people say in a rather dismissive tone that Spanish is a very easy language, now in my opinion English is a lot easier....

Well, I wouldn't worry too much about the negative opinions, it's currently the top target language on the site so some of us (myself included) must like it.

As far as difficulty, someone once said (can't remember who I'm afraid) that Spanish is an easy language to learn badly and that about sums it up for me.

As far as beauty is concerned, there really is no contest - the most beautiful language in the world is English.......

..... but spoken by a French girl with a French accent.

Andy.

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6880 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 127 of 297
24 February 2006 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
Andy E wrote:
the most beautiful language in the world is English.......

..... but spoken by a French girl with a French accent.

I couldn’t agree more!

hwanmig
Philippines
Joined 6635 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Tagalog

Message 128 of 297
25 February 2006 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
I have to say English and Spanish especially the music they produce. French is pleasing spoken but I heard some French rap song and it sounded really bad. Spanish(Latin) music though I barely understand it is very pleasing to the ear.

Edited by hwanmig on 25 February 2006 at 4:45am

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version