Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
297 messages over 38 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 37 38 Next >>
Thomaskim
Groupie
Joined 7059 days ago

84 posts - 85 votes 

Message 17 of 297
18 March 2005 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
For Italian language lovers - or for those who are curious to know what Italian sounds like at its best - I would recommend listening to (arguably) one of the greatest Italian singers alive: Mina

She's been recording since the '60s and she also sings in English, French, Portuguese and Spanish.

Her latest album is Bula Bula

you can check out her website at

www.minamazzini.com

there's a sample of her unique voice as soon as you log on :) Even Barbra Streisand has sung her praises in an interview
1 person has voted this message useful

KingM
Triglot
michaelwallaceauthor
Joined 6981 days ago

275 posts - 300 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Russian

Message 18 of 297
18 March 2005 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
I think they're all nice. I thought Thai was grating when I first arrived in Thailand, but it only took about 48 hours for it to sound charming to my ears.

I love the sound of Italian as well, but also French. Also, I love the sound of Spanish. I'm a bit biased, since I speak it well, but a good, clean accent, spoken clearly is something I love to listen to. If ears were tongues, Italian is cream, French is melted cheese, and Spanish is butter.
2 persons have voted this message useful

zack
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6999 days ago

122 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Spanish, French
Studies: Mandarin

Message 19 of 297
18 March 2005 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
Definitely Italian! And thankfully for the language-learner it not only sounds great but is also easy to pronounce (though that probably depends on one's `host'-language).

Mostly, I feel that languages have a tendency to grow on me. When I first heard Cantonese and Catalan they sounded almost vulgar to me, and Swedish rather unappealing. But after listening to them more and paying more attention to their sound-patterns, I came to like the sound of them.

Edited by zack on 19 March 2005 at 3:18pm

Malcolm
Triglot
Retired Moderator
Korea, South
Joined 7105 days ago

500 posts - 515 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 20 of 297
18 March 2005 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
zack wrote:
Mostly, I feel that languages have a tendency to grow on me. When I first heard Cantonese, Catalan they sounded almost vulgar to me, and Swedish rather unappealing. But after listening to them more and paying more attention to their sound-patterns, I came to like the sound of them.

For me, Cantonese, while probably not the most beautiful language, is the most enjoyable language to imitate. I love listening to Cantonese news broadcasts, movies, and commercials just to repeat the sounds after the speakers. I especially like imitating the sounds that have no equivalents in English, such as the vowels in "leung" (two) and "huei" (to go), and the ch and j consonants which are articulated with the tongue in a more forward position.

hokusai77
Triglot
Italy
Joined 6942 days ago

212 posts - 217 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Italian*, FrenchB1, EnglishC1
Studies: GermanB1, Japanese

Message 21 of 297
01 May 2005 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
I like every language, really! No-one sounds awkward or irritating. The ones I like the best are of course the ones I'm focusing on: English (especially British "BBC" English), French and Japanese.
I love German and Russian sounds, too.
Mandarin Chinese and Korean also sound very interesting, as well as Spanish, Portuguese (especially Brazilian P.) and Arabic.
And I adore Italian (but I can't be objective, since it's my mother tongue!).

Edited by hokusai77 on 01 May 2005 at 3:15pm

Jose.pm
Joined 6953 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes

Message 22 of 297
03 May 2005 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
For me, the most beautiful language is Filipino. I have heard it sometimes and it sounds exotic and beautiful; besides, it has got some Spanish loanwords that remind me of my own language.

In general, I like languages with few sounds, and whose syllables are mostly open (end in vowel), like Italian. In that sense, I think that Polynesian languages like Tahitian or Hawaiian must sound wonderfully, as these have very few phonemes (although I have never listened to them).

Therefore, I like less languages with a lot of sounds and consonant clusters (German, Russian). Anyway, every language has got its characteristic sound, some of them are very easy to recognize (Arabic, Japanese).

Even a same language can sound very differently; for example, I prefer the sound of American English, and, as for Spanish, the variety that is spoken in Colombia sounds to me much nicer than the one we have here in Spain. But that depends on your preferences!

crylant
Groupie
United States
cjrylantwealthmanage
Joined 6987 days ago

85 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 23 of 297
03 May 2005 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
My vote is a female voice speaking French. Very sexy.

patlajan
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6939 days ago

59 posts - 65 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Turkish
Studies: German, Mandarin, French

Message 24 of 297
03 May 2005 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
My vote would be Italian.

German friends have reported to me that English sounds to them like -rur-rur-rur.

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version