Groupie
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

52 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Estonian

Message 169 of 297
19 July 2009 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
Oh, it's just too hard to choose the ONE most beautiful language, but I think Icelandic, French, Turkish, Swedish, and Russian are all amazingly beautiful. If I had to choose just one, I would have to go with Icelandic, it's so mysterious. And if it's spoken just right, it sounds like a tape recorder playing in reverse. Its so whimsical and fun. Spoken Russian sounds so melodic and any language that has the consonant cluster "vzgl" is awesome in my book.

I think men speaking English with a Greek accent are insanely sexy. And English spoken with a Southern Welsh accent can sound refreshing and new, but it can also be horrifying. =P

I am also partial to the Midland dialect of English, which I speak, and which is the closest to "standard" American English. I am even more proud of the fact that I speak Midland English because I live in a place where most people tend to speak with a thick Southern drawl.   
1 person has voted this message useful

Redbone
United States
Joined 6023 days ago

33 posts - 34 votes
Studies: French

Message 171 of 297
22 July 2009 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
jradetzky wrote:
Viktoria wrote:
I like to hear women speak French, men speak Dutch, children speak English with an Australian accent (it's so cute) and songs in Italian.

I wonder if foreigners can detect the American English differences here, i.e. midwestern vs. southern drawl vs. Boston vs. Minnesota vs. New York... ?

I agree that children speaking (British) English are so cute. They sound mischievous. I will post a recording of an English child talking about his school, it is so nice.

I cannot detect differences within AmE beyond the South/North division (e.g., Texas vs New England).

I have watched broadcasts--mostly PBS kids shows--that may have segments in them with British children speaking. I have always found it very difficult to follow their accent! I was surprised by that. I do agree--they do sound mischievous!

I don't think there are many recognizable AmE accents beyond some of the stronger ones. My native language and accent is SAmE--Southern American English. Southern English is supposed to be a mixture of 17th and 18th century British English plus generous sprinklings of French, Scottish, and of course, West African (there are many similarities between African-American Vernacular English and Southern English--note I said, AAVE--not common slang). One of the biggest leftovers is SAmE being non-rhotic. I think some southern accents are beautiful, like speakers from Virginia, and then others I don't care for, Georgia and Alabama for example.

I like some of the accents from New England--Maine, New Hampshire.

I also like the sound of Lakota. I have some friends that are trying to reconstruct Tutelo, a Saponi language, and we borrow a lot from Lakota. It's very beautiful but it is difficult to get the pronunciation just right because it's a little tonal. I like the sound of other tonal languages, for example, many of the southeast Asian languages.

I also love the sound of Italian and French.

-rr -rr -rr? for AmE? I've heard people describe American accents as 'flat'.

Oh! I forgot! Finnish. I was trying to learn how to use a wrap (it's a piece of cloth to carry a baby in) and I found an instruction video on youtube. The woman does the video in English and in Finnish. Really cool.

Edited by Redbone on 22 July 2009 at 7:50pm

CobaltDragon
Groupie
United States
cobaltdragon.co
Joined 5730 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes
Studies: Biblical Hebrew, Vietnamese

Message 172 of 297
22 July 2009 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
I like to listen to the tonal languages like Vietnamese or Chinese.

MLSUSA94
Groupie
United States
linguisticventures19
Joined 5496 days ago

50 posts - 53 votes 
Studies: German, French

Message 173 of 297
23 July 2009 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
Japanese has a very unique sound to it, but I never plan on learning it :)

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5554 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 174 of 297
23 July 2009 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
No.

Okay, Cantonese. And any language spoken by young male native Japanese speakers who use this special lisped "s" (and I still have no idea how to call it).

Edited by Bao on 23 July 2009 at 2:15am

pohaku
Diglot
United States
Joined 5439 days ago

192 posts - 367 votes 
Speaks: English*, Persian
Studies: Arabic (classical), French, German, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 175 of 297
23 July 2009 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
There's been much said about the beautiful sounds of various languages, but I'm particularly sensitive to the looks of a printed language. So here are a few comments on the visual aspects of certain languages:

--Persian, whether handwritten in Nastaliq or typeset with skill, has to be one of the most beautiful of all languages. Arabic is written with pretty much the same script, but has a different look, also nice, due to the prevalence of alefs and lams, and--in some texts--a profusion of diacritical marks. The script is so important in these cultures that classical poets likened the postures of lovers to letters of the alphabet--tall and beautiful like an aleph, for example, or bent and suffering like a nun.

--Chinese is wonderful to look at, of course. Japanese, too. I might have to learn Japanese simply to be able to hold and admire and read one of their wonderfully printed books.

--The profusion of South Asian scripts is quite interesting. I learned the Tamil alpha/syllabary last year (before deciding that there were not enough resources to support a long-term drive to learn the language) and enjoyed the look of it, but I wonder how they manage to handwrite that with any speed at all.

--All Scandinavian text looks interesting on the page, but I particularly admire Icelandic, with the eth and thorn. I also admire the "a" with the little circle over it in Danish. (Hats off, too, to the Czech "u" with a circle over it. One of my favorite composers needs it for his name--Bohuslav Martinu (with a circle over the "u").

--Georgian and Armenian scripts are very different, but fascinating in their unique ways, the former all curves and curls, the latter linear and slanting. People speak of Korean script being invented by one person at a known date specifically for that language. If I'm not mistaken, the same is true of these two scripts.

Saif
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5400 days ago

122 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Levantine)*, French

Message 176 of 297
23 July 2009 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But personally, I find the following beautiful:

Italian
French
Portuguese
Levantine Arabic
Russian
Persian
Spanish
Icelandic
Japanese
Greek

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version