297 messages over 38 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 37 38 Next >>
Kyle
Groupie
United States
Joined 6863 days ago

49 posts - 49 votes

Message 65 of 297
12 July 2005 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
Japanese is most beautiful to me because it has both the charm of an East Asian language (such as a beautiful, intricate writing system) as well as the flow of a romance language. Chinese dialects look awesome when written, but they sound somewhat choppy to me.

Being a native speaker of English, it's hard for me to understand what English "sounds like" and if it is "beautiful." What does Enlgish sound like to other people who are not native speakers?
1 person has voted this message useful

hokusai77
Triglot
Italy
Joined 6940 days ago

212 posts - 217 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Italian*, FrenchB1, EnglishC1
Studies: GermanB1, Japanese

Message 66 of 297
13 July 2005 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
Kyle wrote:
Japanese is most beautiful to me because it has both the charm of an East Asian language (such as a beautiful, intricate writing system) as well as the flow of a romance language. Chinese dialects look awesome when written, but they sound somewhat choppy to me.

Being a native speaker of English, it's hard for me to understand what English "sounds like" and if it is "beautiful." What does Enlgish sound like to other people who are not native speakers?

You're right, Japanese is a beautiful language, and you gave a perfect explanation of why it is so melodious. I had never thought it had the flow of a Romance language, but in fact it has. Vowels are crystal-clear like in Spanish or Italian (and, for Italian mother-tongues like me, it's quite simple to learn right pronunciation).

I really love British English, its tones and stresses which make it sound polished and refined. American English is a bit more "furred", especially Californian and Texan accents. I also like Irish and Scottish variations.

EDIT: I corrected a couple of typos

Edited by hokusai77 on 13 July 2005 at 2:03am

ferdi
Tetraglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 6863 days ago

41 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Turkish, Dutch*, English, German

Message 67 of 297
13 July 2005 at 6:22am | IP Logged 
For me, the most beautiful language is Spanish , Italian and France are also beautiful, I also like English with the London accent.

Edited by administrator on 13 July 2005 at 7:58am

jradetzky
Triglot
United Kingdom
geocities.com/jradet
Joined 6995 days ago

521 posts - 485 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, GermanB1

Message 68 of 297
13 July 2005 at 9:32am | IP Logged 
Kyle wrote:

I agree. Japanese sounds more pleasant than Mandarin. I was listening to the same anime song (Japanese cartoon music) in various languages (Japanese, Mandarin, Korean, Spanish, Italian, French), and only the original Japanese version kept the charm and sweetness of the show (Candy Candy for those who know it).

vincenthychow
Tetraglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6892 days ago

136 posts - 145 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese, English, GermanB1, Japanese
Studies: French

Message 69 of 297
13 July 2005 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
Japanese song is always the most charming. Perhaps the pronounciating of Japanese best fit the music.

Giordano
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
Joined 6962 days ago

213 posts - 218 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Cantonese, Greek

Message 70 of 297
15 July 2005 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
Japanese shares a basic characteristic of pronunciation with Romance Languages- that is, the consonant-vowel-consonant structure

For example,

hi-ra-ga-na
i-ke-ba-na (excuse my limited knowledge of Japanese)
je-ne-sais-pas
ri-de-re
vi-ci-ssi-tu-di-ni
en-chi-la-da
or-de-na-dor

I think this is also why Serbocroatian is considered 'beautiful'. Take for example (forgive the spelling- it is just my own phonetic transcription):

go-vo-ri-te
da-li ste-vi a-me-ri-ka-nac?
ja-ni-sam hr-va-te-tsa (the 'r' is vocalic)
2 persons have voted this message useful

jradetzky
Triglot
United Kingdom
geocities.com/jradet
Joined 6995 days ago

521 posts - 485 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, GermanB1

Message 71 of 297
15 July 2005 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
This is the Japanese anime song I was talking about in an earlier post. It sounds so sweet, and it is so easy to follow the Japanese lyrics in Hiragana as well.

Darobat
Diglot
Joined 6976 days ago

754 posts - 770 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin

Message 72 of 297
15 July 2005 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
I love the sound of gutteral languages like Russian and German, but Italian sounds nice too. I also love the way Swedish sounds. I'm not sure why, but I love it.

The only languages that come to mind whos sound I cannot stand, are French and Portuguese. I don't like the nasal vowels at all. I'm not to fond of tonal languages like Chinese or Vietnamese either, but they are okay.

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version