United States
Joined 6740 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 97 of 430
26 April 2008 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
My affirmation is only about :   INPUT (whatever the level) +OUTPUT+ tons of TIME, and not about best methods. This doesn't exist. Sorry.

Is it so difficult to grasp my idea? Maybe its simplicity makes it difficult.

I wouldn't confuse not understanding an idea and not thinking it is correct.

The problem with your recipe is "tons of TIME". Your method is not just "INPUT + OUTPUT + TIME", it is "INPUT + OUTPUT + ETERNITY". People want to replace "eternity" by "one hour a day", and that's why they try to eliminate methods that take too long. Some approaches definitely take longer than others - the statement that "in the long run it's all native materials" doesn't change that fact one bit.

Now, one may be willing to trade off some of the efficiency in favor of engaging in activities one finds more pleasant, but it is a trade-off.

1 person has voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 98 of 430
26 April 2008 at 10:35am | IP Logged 

Leopejo wrote:

METHODS ARE NOT EQUAL. Some methods are OBJECTIVELY better than others, at least for some/most people. Most methods are better than your DVDs.

The word "objectively" is very hard, it's like a Big Truth and it usually requires strong evidence and not forum or expert opinions. Worst if experts and forum opinions are so contradictory.

Leopejo wrote:

You could say that it goes into INPUT above. Then I say that I prefer a method which lets me have much more INPUT in that time than your inefficient methods. Ok?

Thank you. I appreciate your friendly commentaries about my efficient methods. I like you as well, but I don't exactly know what methods are you referring to?

My methods are:

-Commercial methods: Pimsleur, Assimil, FSI, Michael Thomas, Rosetta Stone, Tell me more, Rocket languages, Lear in your car, FIA, Declan,....Be careful because some of them are used by diplomats and spies.

-Personal methods: Michealou, Arguelles, Simutereku, Fanatic, Iversen. Linguamor and so on. I use less personal methods as well like SRS, radio methods, book with dictionary methods, book without dictionary methods, Harry Potter method, documentary method, DVD movie methods, audio books methods, Simpsons method, Sitcom method, grammar methods, Pod cast methods, Subliminal methods, 1000000 sentences method, Keyword method, diglot weave method,...

- System methods: Situational Language Teaching, The Audio-lingual method, Communicative language teaching, Total Physical Response, The LAMP method, The Natural Approach, Approaches to language learning based on learning style, Eclectic approach to language learning.

Edited by slucido on 26 April 2008 at 10:39am

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6740 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 99 of 430
26 April 2008 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
No, I don't believe in this best method approach. They need an extremely good TIME management method.

I have a great, if somewhat hypothetical, time management method. I have one hour a day: at 7pm I can sit down at my desk, or in an armchair if I want to, and study until 8 pm. That, however, is it - I can't use any hidden moments the rest of the day, because I need to spend the rest of my time concentrating on other things and languages can be distracting.

So, my time is already managed to maximum efficiency - all I can do at this point is try to choose a more efficient method. Simply being more motivated won't make me put in any more time - all I have is that one hour and not a minute more no matter how motivated I am.

meus azuis
Bilingual Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5944 days ago

21 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, Gujarati*
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 100 of 430
26 April 2008 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Let me plug this
excellent article again, for those who haven't read it yet.

Thanks for posting this article. Found it very interesting.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 101 of 430
26 April 2008 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:

The problem with your recipe is "tons of TIME". Your method is not just "INPUT + OUTPUT + TIME", it is "INPUT + OUTPUT + ETERNITY". People want to replace "eternity" by "one hour a day", and that's why they try to eliminate methods that take too long. Some approaches definitely take longer than others - the statement that "in the long run it's all native materials" doesn't change that fact one bit.
Now, one may be willing to trade off some of the efficiency in favor of engaging in activities one finds more pleasant, but it is a trade-off.

You are confirming my idea is so simple that is difficult to grasp.

Use whatever method you like. As long as you feel good and this method has input and output, in whatever fashion, you will succeed. The most important factor is the intensity, dedication, work and TIME you put in the task.

1-Human beings are limited.

2-Languages are human.

ergo

3-languages are LIMITED

NO eternity whatsoever.

If people want 30 min a day or 1 hour a day, it will take much longer to achieve results whatever method they use. Please, be realistic.

I know what people want and marketers know more than me. Look on the net and you will find a lot of promises like "study 30 min every day and you will be fluent in 3 months"... You will find a lot of "best methods" used by spies, diplomats, super polyglots and so on.

Edited by slucido on 26 April 2008 at 2:31pm

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 102 of 430
26 April 2008 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:

I have a great, if somewhat hypothetical, time management method. I have one hour a day: at 7pm I can sit down at my desk, or in an armchair if I want to, and study until 8 pm. That, however, is it - I can't use any hidden moments the rest of the day, because I need to spend the rest of my time concentrating on other things and languages can be distracting.
So, my time is already managed to maximum efficiency - all I can do at this point is try to choose a more efficient method. Simply being more motivated won't make me put in any more time - all I have is that one hour and not a minute more no matter how motivated I am.

If you have 1 hour and only 1 hour, you can use WHATEVER method as long as you feel good and it has input and output .

You can not go faster. This is a human myth ant it is fed by marketers.

By the way, we always have more time. A few minutes when you go to bed,a few minutes when you wake up, every time you go to the bathroom, every time you have a break at your work, a few minutes when you go to the shopping center, a few minutes when you do your homework...

Edited by slucido on 26 April 2008 at 2:37pm

Goindol
United States
Joined 5871 days ago

165 posts - 203 votes 

Message 103 of 430
26 April 2008 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
Language is a skill.

Learning to golf is a skill. There are several effective ways of learning to swing, but there are certainly wrong ways, or at least ineffective methods.

Why should language be any different?

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 104 of 430
26 April 2008 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Goindol wrote:
Language is a skill.

Learning to golf is a skill. There are several effective ways of learning to swing, but there are certainly wrong ways, or at least ineffective methods.
Why should language be any different?

If you read my previous posts, you will read the wrong ways:

feeling bad, no input, no output or nothing at all.

As long as we have input, output and we feel good, we have a good method. The main factor is time.

Keep it simple.

Edited by slucido on 26 April 2008 at 3:23pm

This discussion contains 430 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version