Joined 6060 days ago

181 posts - 190 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean

Message 161 of 430
30 April 2008 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
ChrisWebb wrote:

I read your posts and the thread title, if method matters not at all then frankly what is your gripe? Afterall if any old method works and you know this for sure it should be easy to demonstrate that native material alone is enough, right? Yet I'm still waiting for you to show me my error by telling me which hard language you have learned with only native material. At minimum you can surely provide someone who has used such a method efficiently and successfully to learn a distant foreign language. We know the guy at AllJapaneseAllTheTime didnt so presumably you have another example.

When you finish your tantrum, read my posts and you will know. :0)

And with that I will feed the troll no more.
1 person has voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 162 of 430
30 April 2008 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
ChrisWebb wrote:

And with that I will feed the troll no more.

I can understand your frustration with Korean, but spending time writing in English, won't help your goal.

TIME is the most important factor in learning Korean, don't waste your time writing here and go to study and live Korean right know. Treat yourself and do Korean.

As it happens, writing here I am practicing one of my target languages.

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6654 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 163 of 430
30 April 2008 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
I haven't read all of this thread, it's true, but I've skimmed quite a bit with it, and I can't find a single thing that Slucido's said, aside from when he might have been losing his cool (forums are great places for keeping score of this, unfortunately), that is remotely controversial or hard to grasp.

It's like, people argue with him, but then say the same thing, in their own way.

I really agree that if you love doing something, you stick with it, and you improve. I have many more interests than learning languages, and 100% of the time it is true that when someone loves what they do, they excel at it. I've never met anyone who hasn't. Maybe they're not the "best" compared to other people, but that is irrelevent. They just keep doing it, they get better and better at it.

I know someone's going to say, "Yes, but what if their training methods are completely wrong." That's an objective opinion. I know someone who raced and trained with Greg Lemond, the three-time Tour de France winner. He outtrained everybody. When the training ride was over, he'd continue on his own. Experts might say that would lead to over-training, but he had the passion to keep doing it that way, and look at his successes. Who's going to argue against that?

Likewise, I know bike racers who have limited amounts of time to train, so they make the best with the time that they have, and they still excel, because they've found a system that works well with what they've got.

No two top cyclists in the world (cycling's my sport right now) train in identically the same manner. I'll say the same about swimming, which was my previous sport. I trained a certain way with one coach, I achieved personal best times. I trained a completely different way with another coach, and I still did personal best times. I had my personal preference between the two coaches, others had their own preferences, and we all excelled in our own ways. Both coaches were "experts" and both had different philosophies. Well, who's to say who's right. I can't! I just know I had my own preferences.

Slucido, is this at all in agreement with what you're talking about?

I know people who love learning languages in classes. It's not the "right way" according to this site, and yet, they still thrive at it, because they love it. I love learning languages from text books, from listening, from chatting on-line, with private tutors, in classes, in taquerias, on the street. I mean, there are all these different ways to get some kind of valuable input. If it's enjoyable, it works! If I'm struggling to pay attention, it doesn't work so well. If you LIKE doing drills, if you LIKE learning grammar, then it works. If you like a full-immersion method, without the explanations, and it keeps you coming back, then that works.

Slucido, is that not what you've been saying? Am I missing something? Bravo to you, by the way, in getting English practice while debating. I hope this has been helpful to you! :)

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 164 of 430
30 April 2008 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:

Slucido, is this at all in agreement with what you're talking about?

I know people who love learning languages in classes. It's not the "right way" according to this site, and yet, they still thrive at it, because they love it. I love learning languages from text books, from listening, from chatting on-line, with private tutors, in classes, in taquerias, on the street. I mean, there are all these different ways to get some kind of valuable input. If it's enjoyable, it works! If I'm struggling to pay attention, it doesn't work so well. If you LIKE doing drills, if you LIKE learning grammar, then it works. If you like a full-immersion method, without the explanations, and it keeps you coming back, then that works.

Slucido, is that not what you've been saying? Am I missing something? Bravo to you, by the way, in getting English practice while debating. I hope this has been helpful to you! :)

Thank you. I absolutely agree with you. Are these ideas so weird?

I am thinking about Iversen. He works with word lists and dictionaries. Two politically incorrect techniques, but it seems that he succeeds. Who are we to tell him his techniques are wrong?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 165 of 430
30 April 2008 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:

No two top cyclists in the world (cycling's my sport right now) train in identically the same manner.
But Slucido says that a good method equals input+output+TIME, so for cycling it probably means that any method is good provided that you spend tons of time actually cycling, even if you don't do any other exercises, and as far as I understand he also denies that a sensible method can be better or worse than another sensible method for most people.

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6654 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 166 of 430
30 April 2008 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
You guys are really nitpicking.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 167 of 430
30 April 2008 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:

No two top cyclists in the world (cycling's my sport right now) train in identically the same manner.
But Slucido says that a good method equals input+output+TIME, so for cycling it probably means that any method is good provided that you spend tons of time actually cycling, even if you don't do any other exercises, and as far as I understand he also denies that a sensible method can be better or worse than another sensible method for most people.

What I am saying is that all roads lead to Rome.

ChrisWebb
United Kingdom
Joined 6060 days ago

181 posts - 190 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean

Message 168 of 430
30 April 2008 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:
You guys are really nitpicking.

That might be a fair criticism if he were not so iconoclastic ( not to mention condescending and dismissive of others ). As it is I dont think its nitpicking to pick him up on what he is in fact saying.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 430 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version