181 posts - 190 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean

Message 177 of 430
30 April 2008 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:
Maybe you just like arguing.

I'm done!

Are you sure that's me and it isnt you with a soft spot for underdogs?
1 person has voted this message useful

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6654 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 178 of 430
30 April 2008 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
Reading into what people say is logical?!

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6654 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 

Message 179 of 430
30 April 2008 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
I have a soft spot for people needlessy being chastised, yes. Particularly when they make complete sense. You guys are arguing against this "idea" of what you "think" he's saying, but that's not what he's been saying at all.

"But he said that we should all wear purple polka dotted underwear and dance around on one leg!"

"He said that?!"

"No, but it was implied."

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6740 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 180 of 430
30 April 2008 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:
Reading into what people say is logical?!

Reading into is not a good idea, but examining direct consequences of someone's statements is. This is at the basis of proof by contradiction (also known as reductio ad absurdum) - you examine the logical consequences of a statement, and if a consequence is wrong, the statement itself must be wrong.

I was not the only one who thought that slucido's statements directly implied that one can learn any language with native materials and enough love and time, so if we are all mistaken, his clarity of presentation may be called into question.

Edited by frenkeld on 30 April 2008 at 1:46pm

ChrisWebb
United Kingdom
Joined 6060 days ago

181 posts - 190 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean

Message 181 of 430
30 April 2008 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:
I have a soft spot for people needlessy being chastised, yes. Particularly when they make complete sense. You guys are arguing against this "idea" of what you "think" he's saying, but that's not what he's been saying at all.

"But he said that we should all wear purple polka dotted underwear and dance around on one leg!"

"He said that?!"

"No, but it was implied."

If he's not saying what we think he is then its quite simple to set the record straight but given the option he evades and prevaricates instead. He has been asked to clarify multiple times and refuses to do so, he states that he is being perfectly clear when explicitly informed that people think he is saying exactly what he is being questioned on. Given all that its totally unreasonable to beg we give him the benefit of the doubt and entirely fair for us to take him at his word that he means what he says with all its implications.

I'd point to his citing AllJapaneseAllTheTime and claiming the guy uses only native materials as the evidence that he means exactly what i think he does. The fact he tried to prove a point you claim now I'm imagining I think gives the game away. If I was mistaken he would simply say so, not try to prove the point.....

Edited by ChrisWebb on 30 April 2008 at 1:55pm

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6654 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 

Message 182 of 430
30 April 2008 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
What he said that's been so controversial is that learning a language requires a combination of time and love.

He noticed the variety of so many methods used in learning languages, and found one common demonitator in all of them, and that was "time."

Just becuase more than one person doesn't grasp it doesn't mean it's ungraspable.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6740 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 183 of 430
30 April 2008 at 2:08pm | IP Logged 
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:
What he said that's been so controversial is that learning a language requires a combination of time and love.

He noticed the variety of so many methods used in learning languages, and found one common demonitator in all of them, and that was "time."

Just becuase more than one person doesn't grasp it doesn't mean it's ungraspable.

We all "grasp" those two statements. Some of us also "grasp" additional statements that have been made, and it is some of those that are in dispute.

P.S. By the way, speaking of logic again, the value of a "common denominator" can sometimes be close to nil. You will agree that one has to be alive in order to study a language. It is an undeniable common denominator. It is also a useless statement. A statement that one needs time to learn a language is only slightly more useful, except when showing the ropes to a complete novice in language learning.

Edited by frenkeld on 30 April 2008 at 2:11pm

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6654 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 

Message 184 of 430
30 April 2008 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
ChrisWebb wrote:

If he's not saying what we think he is then its quite simple to set the record straight but given the option he evades and prevaricates instead. He has been asked to clarify multiple times and refuses to do so, he states that he is being perfectly clear when explicitly informed that people think he is saying exactly what he is being questioned on. Given all that its totally unreasonable to beg we give him the benefit of the doubt and entirely fair for us to take him at his word that he means what he says with all its implications.

I'd point to his citing AllJapaneseAllTheTime and claiming the guy uses only native materials as the evidence that he means exactly what i think he does. The fact he tried to prove a point you claim now I'm imagining I think gives the game away. If I was mistaken he would simply say so, not try to prove the point.....

First, I think he became exasperated, as I am now!

All he was saying that to learn a language requires time and love.

Slucido said that this guy on this referenced website learned Japanese using all native materials? I'll have to find that. Here's the Japanese learner's overview:

http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/about/overview-pag e

For what it's worth, a friend of mine from Japan learned English by memorizing sentences. I'll pick his brain again, because his story was quite fascinating.

The common demoninator, regardless of the method, is time. If you don't love it, you're not going to spend the time.

I'm just going to stand by that.

This discussion contains 430 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version