Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5906 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 170 of 430
30 April 2008 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
Out of this thread as I said, but I am a cyclist too, so I come and leave again.

CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:
I know someone's going to say, "Yes, but what if their training methods are completely wrong." That's an objective opinion. I know someone who raced and trained with Greg Lemond, the three-time Tour de France winner. He outtrained everybody. When the training ride was over, he'd continue on his own. Experts might say that would lead to over-training, but he had the passion to keep doing it that way, and look at his successes. Who's going to argue against that?

First of all, he didn't overtrain then (by definition). And he most definitely had a method, a winning one.

Quote:
Likewise, I know bike racers who have limited amounts of time to train, so they make the best with the time that they have, and they still excel, because they've found a system that works well with what they've got.

Now you are contradicting SLucido. They excel (at their level!) because they optimize the small amounts of time they have. His idea is opposite: how you train is not important, as long as you spend many hours on the saddle.

Quote:
No two top cyclists in the world (cycling's my sport right now) train in identically the same manner. I'll say the same about swimming, which was my previous sport. I trained a certain way with one coach, I achieved personal best times. I trained a completely different way with another coach, and I still did personal best times. I had my personal preference between the two coaches, others had their own preferences, and we all excelled in our own ways. Both coaches were "experts" and both had different philosophies. Well, who's to say who's right. I can't! I just know I had my own preferences.

All professional cyclists have very precise training schedules (obviously flexible as well, to account for race calendar changes, injuries, etc.). Not all train with a powermeter, but all know what are the different training intensities. You'd be surprised as how many professionals use the same "doctors" - not (only!) for doping, but for their methods. You can count them with the fingers of one hand, I'd say. Half the stars were clients of Spanish Dr. Fuentes (they could easily get their blood transfusions at home, so they didn't go to him only for doping). Armstrong perhaps was "coached" by Carmichael, but I'd say more decisive for his accomplishments was the infamous Dr.Ferrari. In pro cycling you simply don't manage without the best training methods. Which doesn't mean that all methods are equal! Some go to gym every day in the winter, others have never seen weights; some use Very Slow Climbing (try it: a regular climb with a very high gear at 35-45 rpm, slightly below your Lactate Threshold), others abhor it.

It is true that for them racing is a big part of the training. SLucido could argue that many race the Vuelta 3-week race as a training to the World Championships, and he'd be partially right. But he should take into account the 10+ years they have trained before becoming professionals.
1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6740 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 171 of 430
30 April 2008 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:
They just keep doing it, they get better and better at it.

If you do keep getting better and better, and the pace at which it is happening is satisfying to you, then there is no problem. Up to this point, there is indeed nothing to argue about.

The arguments arose over the specific method slucido annunciated that presumably satisfies the above two criteria in his own case. He observed a well-established fact that one has to practice all four language skills with unabridged materials to acquire advanced skills in the language. He then came up with a minimalist method that says that that that's all there really is to language learning, everything else being a placebo that one can take if one wants to in order to feel better and thus stay motivated, but that it is nothing but a placebo nevertheless.

Since there are only two criteria, all we have to do is check the statement against these two criteria.

First, will you keep getting better and better? Several learners of East Asian languages say you will not, so if they are right, additional elements may not be placebos in that case. Are they right?

Second, how fast will one learn? This one generated a lot of confusion. I think even slucido will admit that if one is learning against a tight deadline, one may need to go beyond the minimalist method, so even if all the non-minimalist learning techniques are placebos under the first criterion of ever getting there, they may be a necessity if speed is an issue.

What about criterion one and the Western languages, or more generally, languages not too remote from one's native? Does one always "get there" with the minimalist method? Slucido sited the case of several Moroccan refugees in support of his viewpoint. First of all, they were in an immersion situation, and second, I'd like to know if they knew some French before coming to Spain. At any rate, it is not inconceivable that someone with a background in a common West European language could eventually learn another with the minimalist method without full immersion. Even if true, if the languages are not very close, it will undoubtedly take a substantial amount of time.

Edited by frenkeld on 30 April 2008 at 12:58pm

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6654 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 172 of 430
30 April 2008 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
You guys are all saying the same thing.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6740 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 173 of 430
30 April 2008 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:
You guys are all saying the same thing.

Not true. slucido says you can learn Mandarin with just native materials in a non-immersive situation, other people say you can't.

His presentation, in my view, was confused enough that one can try to claim that it didn't go beyond truisms, but he actually did make some potentially falsifiable statements.

Edited by frenkeld on 30 April 2008 at 1:06pm

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6654 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 

Message 174 of 430
30 April 2008 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
I can't find where he said that. Help me, please.

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6654 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 

Message 175 of 430
30 April 2008 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
No, I went back. He never said that.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6740 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 176 of 430
30 April 2008 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
He implied that. It's called logic. :)

This discussion contains 430 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version