Diglot
United States
Joined 6740 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 195 of 430
30 April 2008 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
Since you know Russian, you can download her book from a link on that site - it's a great read! She took a class in Mandarin from a native speaker. I don't remember what she did with Japanese - she may actually not say much about it.

1 person has voted this message useful

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6654 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 196 of 430
30 April 2008 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
I just did, finally. You're right, it is a good read. I wish I had done this sooner!

ChrisWebb
United Kingdom
Joined 6060 days ago

181 posts - 190 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean

Message 197 of 430
30 April 2008 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:
Kató Lomb was wrong, too, apparently.

Kató Lomb´s language learning and methods

Interesting, it would appear the whole approach is based on study of an L1 L2 dictionary though, not purely native material.

http://www.english-learning.co.uk/lomb.alkire.html

Edited by ChrisWebb on 30 April 2008 at 4:04pm

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6654 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 

Message 198 of 430
30 April 2008 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
I just interpreted "native materials" to mean the newspaper or a novel or film and so on.

Again, love him or hate him, Steve Kauffman learns languages by reading and listening alone, using a dictionary and flash card software. These three are combined in what happens to be his own product that he touts ad nauseum, but it works for him. Apparently, his knowledge of a few Asian languages is excellent, though I am no expert. His Russian is decent. I can't believe I'm actually defending the guy, because he's can be so argumentative, but I do agree with his general philosophy that if you enjoy what you're learning, you will stick with it.

He contends that native materials are the best. Again, I did not understand this to mean it was at the exclusion of using a dictionary or a good grammar. But there are some who feel that learning this way, versus a text book, is the way to go.

I happen to like them all. That's me. And I can't convince any of my language learning friends to do what I do, so I can only assume that what they're doing is what they need, and I don't argue. Am I wrong to feel that way?

Edited by CaitO'Ceallaigh on 30 April 2008 at 4:13pm

ChrisWebb
United Kingdom
Joined 6060 days ago

181 posts - 190 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean

Message 199 of 430
30 April 2008 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
I think the Wiki was misleading to be honest, Lomb for instance did in fact use textbooks as well as the dictionary according to the extract from her book, she also sought out native speakers for lessons.

I think that there are probably a range of workable methods, I just dont think pure use of native materials is likely amongst them unless the target language allows you to leverage a language you already know. I'd need to see some kind of real evidence to alter my mind as the view i currently hold is rooted in personal experience and appears to be confirmed by the experience of others.

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6654 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 

Message 200 of 430
30 April 2008 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
ChrisWebb wrote:
I think the Wiki was misleading to be honest, Lomb for instance did in fact use textbooks as well as the dictionary according to the extract from her book, she also sought out native speakers for lessons.

I think that there are probably a range of workable methods, I just dont think pure use of native materials is likely amongst them unless the target language allows you to leverage a language you already know. I'd need to see some kind of real evidence to alter my mind as the view i currently hold is rooted in personal experience and appears to be confirmed by the experience of others.

I agree with you!

This discussion contains 430 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version