Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
430 messages over 54 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 47 ... 53 54 Next >>
Goindol
United States
Joined 5871 days ago

165 posts - 203 votes 

Message 369 of 430
06 May 2008 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
I'm just amused by this iron-clad insistence on OBJECTIVE PROOF, as if all published studies are scientifically valid, and the weight of accumulated experience is reducible to the H0 pile.
1 person has voted this message useful

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6654 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 370 of 430
06 May 2008 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
ChrisWebb wrote:
The problem with your point is that it does in fact fail to recognise that although a coach will construct an individual training course he will in fact do so out of a range of programs that have proven effective in general. The fact that a coach varies training programs per athlete is hardly evidence that he considers all possible training programs to be equally effective. If anything sports coaching is in fact the perfect example of the point you deny, there may be no universal best method but very plainly that does not mean that all methods are equally efficient.

I never said that they were equally efficient.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 371 of 430
06 May 2008 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
slucido wrote:
Do you know any other OBJECTIVE good technique?

- Graded input
- Repetition of graded input
- Grammar exercises (also a form of repetition)

Thank you Frenkle.

Regarding 'graded input' the distinction between raw input and graded input is fuzzy. Same between 'comprehensible input' and 'incomprehensible input'. Critics argue the term 'comprehensible' is ambiguous and the term 'graded' as well. We need to distinguish comprehension provided by linguistic context and comprehension provided by extra-linguistic context. They can have different effects on learning. Even with raw real materials you can choose easy ones unconsciously.

It's a bit problematic this graded and comprehensible input hypothesis from scientific point of view, but we can accept that we have enough OBJETIVE evidence, but less than distributed practice and mnemonics have.

Regarding "grammar", we have a lot of problems. We have contradictory evidence.

For example:

In this article we can find studies:

http://flteaching.wikispaces.com/Grammar?f=print

We have three points of view:

1-Explicit grammar instruction:

Spada’s survey (1997)
Mitchell, R. (2000)
Herron, C. & Tomasello, M. (1988)
Wong, W. & VanPatten, B. (2003)
Herron, C. & Tomasello, M. (1988). Learning Grammatical Structures in a Foreign Language: Modelling versus Feedback. French Review 61(6), 910-22.
Mitchell, R. (2000). Applied linguistics and evidence-based classroom practice: The case of foreign language grammar pedagogy. Applied Linguistics, 21(3), 281-303.
Wong, W., & VanPatten, B. (2003). The evidence is in: Drills are out. Foreign Language Annals, 36(3), 403-423.

2-NO grammar instruction needed:

Krashen, S. D. (1992). Formal Grammar Instruction, an Educator Comments. TESOL Quarterly 26, 406-11.
Lee, J. F. & VanPatten, B. (2003) Making Communicative Language Teaching Happpen, 2nd Edition. 116-36.
Aski, J. M. (2003). Foreign language textbook activities: Keeping pace with second language acquisition research. Foreign Language Annals, 36(1), 57-65.

3-Some grammar instruction, some communication:

Schultz, R.A. (1996) :According to her studies, students overall have a strong conviction that grammar is useful in foreign language learning; in her particular case, 26% wanted even more grammar study than they were receiving.
Schultz, R.A. (1996). Focus on form in the foreign language classroom: Students' and Teachers' Views on Error Correction and the Role of Grammar. Foreign Language Annals 29 (3), 343-64.
Mitchell, R. (2000). Applied linguistics and evidence-based classroom practice: the case of foreign language grammar pedagogy. Applied Linguistics, 21(3),281-303.
Lee, J. F. & VanPatten, B. (2003) Making Communicative Language Teaching Happpen, 2nd Edition. 116-36.

It seems that 'some grammar instruction 'option is more widely accepted. Strong 'graded input' points of view won't accept that, but we can assume this option as OBJECTIVE evidence.

On the other side, drilling is a form of overlearning and it's much less efficient than spaced repetition. So we can rule out 'drilling' as objective evidence. Maybe we can accept soft forms of drilling.

NOW, we have four OBJECTIVE good language learning techniques:

1-Distributed practice (Spaced repetition)

2-Mnemonics (like keyword technique)

3-Graded input.

4-Some grammar instruction with soft drilling

The first two ones with stronger evidence.

Do you have any OBJECTIVE scientific based best technique?

(Please, not anecdotes, testimonies or opinions and other snake-oil marketing techniques)

Edited by slucido on 06 May 2008 at 4:22pm

Goindol
United States
Joined 5871 days ago

165 posts - 203 votes 

Message 372 of 430
06 May 2008 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
I just have a quick question on these OBJECTIVE scientific based techniques and studies. Can I ask what the p-values, confidence intervals, and the powers of these OBJECTIVE scientific studies are?

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6740 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 373 of 430
06 May 2008 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
frenkeld wrote:
slucido wrote:
Do you know any other OBJECTIVE good technique?

- Graded input
- Repetition of graded input
- Grammar exercises (also a form of repetition)

Strong 'graded input' points of view won't accept that, but ...

Graded input can be independent of the amount of grammar instruction. Assimil, for example, uses graded input, but isn't heavy on grammar.

My list was in fact a bit tongue-in-cheek, in that old-fashioned grammar-translation textbooks consist of graded input (sample sentences, dialogs, reading passages) and grammatical explanations. Actually, the exercises in these textbooks are not just about grammar, so I was a bit careless in my third item.

Edited by frenkeld on 06 May 2008 at 11:29pm

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 374 of 430
07 May 2008 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
Goindol wrote:
I'm just amused by this iron-clad insistence on OBJECTIVE PROOF, as if all published studies are scientifically valid, and the weight of accumulated experience is reducible to the H0 pile.

Is it necessary to defend Science in 21th century?

What is the weight of accumulated experience?

Are your talking about common agreements between all experts?

This is low evidence, but I can accept it. I am waiting

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 375 of 430
07 May 2008 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
Goindol wrote:
I just have a quick question on these OBJECTIVE scientific based techniques and studies. Can I ask what the p-values, confidence intervals, and the powers of these OBJECTIVE scientific studies are?

Yes, you can ask, but I won't answer you. I am not a 'best method supporter'.
This is your homework.

Edited by slucido on 07 May 2008 at 10:47am

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 376 of 430
07 May 2008 at 9:48am | IP Logged 

It seems that this second language acquisition is very underdeveloped from a scientific point of view.

When I ask for objective and scientific based proofs I am talking about that?

Levels of Evidence

http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/levels.php

Different levels of evidence - critical reading

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40002064/

Quote:

Levels of Evidence

DynaMed provides easy-to-interpret Level of Evidence labels so users can quickly find the best available evidence and determine the quality of the best available evidence. Evidence may be labeled in one of three levels:

Level 1 (likely reliable) Evidence - representing the most valid reports addressing patient-oriented outcomes. Examples include rigorous randomized trials, inception cohort studies for prognostic information, and systematic reviews of level 1 evidence reports. Achieving a level 1 evidence label means that specific quality criteria were met based on the study type, and these are detailed further down on this page.

Level 2 (mid-level) Evidence - representing reports addressing patient-oriented outcomes, and using some method of scientific investigation, yet not meeting the quality criteria to achieve level 1 evidence labeling. Examples include randomized trials with less than 80% follow-up, non-randomized comparison studies, and diagnostic studies without adequate reference standards. Level 2 evidence does not imply reliable evidence. For example, hormone replacement therapy was associated with reduced cardiovascular events in large cohort studies (level 2 evidence), but then shown not to be preventive (and possibly increase the cardiovascular risk) in randomized trials (level 1 evidence).

Level 3 (lacking direct) Evidence - representing reports that are not based on scientific analysis of patient-oriented outcomes. Examples include case series, case reports, expert opinion, and conclusions extrapolated indirectly from scientific studies.

Recommendations are labeled as one of the following:

* Grade A recommendation (consistent high-quality evidence)
    * Grade B recommendation (inconsistent or limited evidence)
    * Grade C recommendation (lacking direct evidence)

Experts opinions and consensus is low level of evidence, but I can accept it as low level of OBJECTIVE evidence.

Do you have something like this low level of OBJECTIVE evidence about language learning best methods?

(NO snake-oil marketing testimonies)

This discussion contains 430 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version