4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 145 of 430
28 April 2008 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
slucido wrote:
Finally, you will need the real staff.

Careful my friend - some typos are dangerous.

slucido wrote:
There is NOT enough evidence to rule out H0

Not being able to rule it out is not the same as being able to prove it, right?

I agree with you. Science work like that. I don't know if tomorrow some investigators will contribute with strong evidences about best methods (H1) to learn languages.

On the other, the average Joe, who want practical explanations, can deduce that we don't have any best method right now after 50 years of experience.

leosmith wrote:

slucido wrote:

I began with pimsleur, Assimil I and II when I had around 95% reading understanding.

Sorry for not understanding, but are you saying you did these programs after you reached 95%?

Yes, I did.

leosmith wrote:

Mcjon01 wrote:
Most of what he's saying is supported by the FSI article,

Respectfully disagree.
slucido wrote:
I think that methods are not that important.

slucido wrote:
I don't believe in different learning styles.

FSI wrote:
we might say that some learners, in a sense, demonstrate higher "aptitudes" in one style of
language program than in another.

FSI wrote:
Spolsky (1989: 383) writes, "Any intelligent and disinterested observer knows that there are
many ways to learn languages and many ways to teach them,and that some ways
work with some students in some circumstances and fail with others."

slucido says there isn't a single best method, which FSI supports, but then he goes on to say that the method
isn't important, which FSI contradicts.

Learning styles are not my main argument. They talk about "learning styles" and I talk about "preferences" in a given moment. Something much more general. This preferences can change and, in the end, you will have to listen, read, speak and write the target language whatever your preferences or, if you want, your learning styles are.

leosmith wrote:

slucido wrote:
You can learn grammar at the beginning, in the middle or at the end. It doesn't matter provided that you have strong motivation and time.

FSI wrote:
If there is insufficient early focus on form,we have learned that learners may, indeed, risk
automatizing ingrained errors (see Higgs and Clifford 1982).

slucido says it doesn't matter when you learn grammar. FSI says you should do it at the beginning.

I disagree. I didn't learn English grammar at the beginning and I am improving.

And they are very ambiguous: "some kind of grammar instruction". This is the part you have not quoted.

leosmith wrote:

slucido wrote:
The most important factor is TIME and LOVE devoted to the target language.

FSI wrote:
Time on task and the intensity of the learning experience appear crucial.

slucido says time and love are the most important factors, FSI says time and intensity are crucial.

:O )))

Please....What I am saying from the beginning?

leosmith wrote:

slucido wrote:
I think the DVD movie methods are the best.

slucido wrote:
All this "best method approach" is a huge illusory and misleading delusion.

Huh? Where'd that come from?

:0)

Have you read my previous answers?

For example: I'm telling right now?

"I think DVD movie methods, passive listening, writing in forums, Skype and 10,000 methods (SRS with fullrecall) are the BEST"

Slucido, do you think your previous affirmation is a huge illusory and misleading delusion?

YES, my affirmation is a huge illusory and misleading delusion, BUT I am very happy with my huge delusion BECAUSE I am studying more and more time...and with more and more intensity. :-)

Edited by slucido on 28 April 2008 at 4:10pm

1 person has voted this message useful

shapd
United Kingdom
Joined 5946 days ago

126 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, Modern Hebrew, French, Russian

Message 146 of 430
29 April 2008 at 5:12am | IP Logged 
Slucido, I recommend you and the others interested in techniques read Earl Stevick's book Success with Foreign languages. It gives seven case studies of people who successfully learnt languages with completely different approaches. Different personality types had quite different requirements. Some needed formal grammar, some preferred second language immersion, while others could not stand formal classroom instruction of any kind. It strongly supports your view that details of methods are irrelevant, but there may be differences in efficiency. Some mastered certain aspects such as grammar or pronunciation better than others, which might be related to their preferred learning methods. So your methods may be the BEST for you, but not for me!
I found the whole book on the web, but I can't remember where. If you can't find it, give me a PM.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 147 of 430
29 April 2008 at 8:05am | IP Logged 
shapd wrote:
Slucido, I recommend you and the others interested in techniques read Earl Stevick's book Success with Foreign languages. It gives seven case studies of people who successfully learnt languages with completely different approaches. Different personality types had quite different requirements. Some needed formal grammar, some preferred second language immersion, while others could not stand formal classroom instruction of any kind. It strongly supports your view that details of methods are irrelevant, but there may be differences in efficiency. Some mastered certain aspects such as grammar or pronunciation better than others, which might be related to their preferred learning methods. So your methods may be the BEST for you, but not for me!
I found the whole book on the web, but I can't remember where. If you can't find it, give me a PM.

Thank you.

I read this ebook last year, but I have forgotten. Sometimes people work with opposite methods to learn languages, even the same person.

We can find it here. It's free:

http://www.sil.org/lingualinks/LANGUAGELEARNING/BooksBackInP rint/SuccessWithForeignLanguages/SuccessWithForeignLanguages .htm

Table of contents:

1. An Intuitive Learner: Ann learning Norwegian

1.1 As language comes in
    1.2 The power of context
    1.3 Notes

2. A Formal Learner: Bert learning Chinese

2.1 Audio-lingual-style activities
    2.2 Bert's other activities
    2.3 Notes

3. An Informal Learner: Carla learning Portuguese and German

3.1 Sources of encouragement
    3.2 Sources of conflict and discouragement
    3.3 Notes

4. An Imaginative Learner: Derek learning German, Russian and Finnish

4.1 Imagination in mastering fundamentals
    4.2 Imagination in using the language
    4.3 Notes

5. An Active Learner: Ed learning Korean, Romanian and Swahili

5.1 Pronunciation
    5.2 Vocabulary and grammar
    5.3 Observing one's own mental activity
    5.4 Notes

6. A deliberate learner: Frieda learning Arabic and Hebrew

6.1 Texts and grammar
    6.2 Vocabulary
    6.3 Pronunciation
    6.4 Cultural considerations
    6.5 Notes

7. A Self-aware learner: Gwen learning Japanese

7.1 Working on the mechanics of the language
    7.2 Other matters

8. Summary

Edited by slucido on 29 April 2008 at 8:32am

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6654 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 148 of 430
29 April 2008 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
I'm learning four languages at once, and each one I learn slightly differently. I learned Spanish primarily from reading, listening, and some conversing. I started that way right from the beginning. Out of all my foreign languages, I speak that one the best, which is ironic given that I started it last (maybe three years ago).

I'm much more systematic with Russian, Czech, and German. These three are more like a side hobby, like, How many new words and phrases can I learn today? I'm not reading; I'm memorizing text books that I've found to be enjoyable. I'm not even thinking about trying to converse in any of these, 'til I've memorized these books (I flashcard software). I learn this way because it's like an addiction. How far can I get through this book? It's strangely satisfying, like washing my dishes, or cleaning my bathroom.

I also studied Russian with teachers for about eight years, though. I really liked it.

What I've learned from learning languages all sorts of different ways is that it doesn't matter what you do. What matters is if you find it enjoyable. If you like it, you'll just keep doing it.

My plan for learning the other romance languages is to go about it as I learned Spanish, because I can somehow read French, Italian and Portuguese and understand it. Maybe I would use the L-R method (do a forum search on that phrase if you don't know what I mean; it's been discussed in great detail elsewhere) for these languages.

For some reason, with Slavic languages, I want things spelled out for me. I would probably memorize text books, provided I found them to be entertaining. Or maybe not. I've noticed that Czech and Russian are so similar -- the same language with a different accent, practically -- that maybe I could try a more immersion-based method with others. We'll see.

Steve Kauffman, that guy that argued endlessly with every single person on this forum, does have an interesting way to learn languages using his LingQ system (I have used it, and it is too slow for my computer). I noticed he was nicer to those who used his system, which is relevent to a degree because it made me very skeptical. In his defense, using that method, he really is learning Russian. You can find his video blogs on YouTube. His pronunciation is "okay," but nonetheless, for having learned it from only listening and reading, I think he does a decent job. Now, his is a case where I think he'd benefit from working with a teacher one-on-one, just to work out his pronunciation and grammar tweaks, but on the other hand, who's to say he wouldn't learn this naturally over time, which is a part of his "manifesto" anyway. If you love the language, you just keep at it, you keep trying to learn more, and it all falls into place.

Which is why I think that it really doesn't matter what you do, as long as you keep doing it. It's all different means to the same end, right?

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6740 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 149 of 430
29 April 2008 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
At the same site there are a few excerpts from a book "Ways to Approach Language Learning" by Carol J. Orwig. A brief survey of language learning methods section lists 8 possibilities, among them Approaches to language learning based on learning style, which is based, among others, on the following principles:

* Learning in your preferred learning style increases motivation and effectiveness.
    * Some learners have a higher tolerance for ambiguity than others.
    * Some learners take on a different persona when speaking another language.
    * Motivation affects the time spent learning a language.
    * Learner attitudes affect motivation.

It is, however, but one of 8 different approaches listed. In
Four approaches to language learning based on learning style section, the author provides the following "Tip":

"It is possible to use your learning style as an excuse to do only what feels comfortable to you, leaving out activities that could greatly enhance your learning. Sometimes it is necessary to do things that do not come naturally in order to progress. For instance, ..."

Edited by frenkeld on 29 April 2008 at 12:06pm

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 150 of 430
29 April 2008 at 12:35pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:

"It is possible to use your learning style as an excuse to do only what feels comfortable to you, leaving out activities that could greatly enhance your learning. Sometimes it is necessary to do things that do not come naturally in order to progress. For instance, ..."

The quote continues:

"...For instance, you may find it hard to get out and talk to people if you are an introvert. You can find ways to reduce this stress, but you must listen to people and talk with them to gain real communicative competence in a second language."

That's why I am skeptic about learning styles. In the end, if you want native fluency, you will need listening, reading, writing and speaking practice. However, without taking preferences into account or having fun, the average person will give up the learning process.

Otherwise some people need a gun in their head to get motivated.

ChrisWebb
United Kingdom
Joined 6060 days ago

181 posts - 190 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean

Message 151 of 430
29 April 2008 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
ChrisWebb wrote:

I think the point you are missing is twofold, firstly working with only native material might result in spending massively longer in the beginner stage than necessary and secondly it might even introduce some possiblility that you will never progress beyond the beginner stage.

Then...use WHATEVER you want as long as you feel much more motivated and work more time with the target language

It's not about methods, is about working a lot with the language and working tons of time. It's about psychological motivation and tons of dedication working with the target language and not about any specific method.

All this "best method approach" is a huge illusory and misleading delusion.

Sorry, I know its hard to accept, but the "best method" doesn't exist. It only exists you, the language and tons of TIME working with it. You need more subjective motivation, maybe an insane obsession and tons of...TIME.

I think to be honest you are simply mistaking your limited experience for a broader principle. In truth you have never learned a harder language and simply arent qualified to push your view as though it were axiomatic. Right now i have never taken a Spanish lesson yet can make a pretty good stab at reading easy Spanish texts, that is simply because the jump from Spanish to English is relatively easy. However try that same approach where the gap between languages is larger and it plainly and simply DOES NOT WORK. There may be no best method or it may be that there is in fact a best method and it simply hasnt been determined at this point. Either way it's highly likely that some methods will be more effective than others and some methods might be entirely ineffective.

And I'm sorry that you will find that hard to accept.....

Come back after learning Japanese/Korean/Mandarin using no language course material and i might be impressed. I wont hold my breath though.

Edited by ChrisWebb on 29 April 2008 at 2:45pm

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 152 of 430
29 April 2008 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
ChrisWebb wrote:

I think to be honest you are simply mistaking your limited experience for a broader principle. In truth you have never learned a harder language and simply arent qualified to push your view as though it were axiomatic.

Why do you presuppose you have any special skill to assess anybody here?

How do you know my experience?

Do you have any paranormal skill to asses people through nick names?

ChrisWebb wrote:

Right now i have never taken a Spanish lesson yet can make a pretty good stab at reading easy Spanish texts, that is simply because the jump from Spanish to English is relatively easy. Howerver trying that same approach where the gap between languages is larger and it plainly and simply DOES NOT WORK.

And I'm sorry that you will find that hard to accept.....

Come back after learning Japanese/Korean/Mandarin using no language course material and i might be impressed. I wont hold my breath though.

I don't believe you. High emotional attitudes like yours don't change through reason, but emotions.

However, you can take a look at alljapanaseallthetime.com. This guy is English speaker and he has learned Japanese and he don't use language courses. I am sure you will find hundreds of 'reasons' to dismiss that testimony:

http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/isnt-real-japanese -too-hard-for-beginners

Quote:

Perhaps there’s nothing intrinsically wrong with your typical language-learning tape, but:
1) I never used them
2) The people I have met who have used them, have trouble with real Japanese as it is spoken by actual Japanese people…
…because, as you said, they ARE contrived. So contrived as to be almost useless. Have you heard the kinds of tapes people in Japan and other countries use to learn English?

I am not telling that you don't use language courses to learn Japanese, Mandarin and so on. I am telling do whatever you want as long as you spend a lot of time and you have fun.

I have used language course materials, but in the "wrong order" and in the "wrong time".

This discussion contains 430 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version