United Kingdom
Joined 6060 days ago

181 posts - 190 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean

Message 313 of 430
05 May 2008 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
How you can have approaches which have 'proved themselves as less effective' if you have lack of an objectively defined best method?

Quite easily. I think your inability to grasp this point probably lies at the heart of the error in your logic. We do not have any known point which is furthest away in space either yet we can still compare distances. I presume you accept that all points in space are not in fact at the same distance from any particular start point, even if we cannot name the furthest point?

Quote:
How can you prove or define something as less or more effective if you lack a OBJECTIVE point of reference?

It's actually pretty simple to compare two things without an absolute point of reference, see above. In fact we do this most of the time. We can pretty much always find an objective point of reference and I'm a little confused why you would imagine otherwise. Perhaps yopu might consult a dictionary and see how the words objective and absolute do in fact differ in definition and usage.

Quote:
What's the best method then.

The question isnt relevent and reveals a misunderstanding of the point being made.
1 person has voted this message useful

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6654 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 314 of 430
05 May 2008 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
ChrisWebb wrote:

Quote:

The question isnt relevent and reveals a misunderstanding of the point being made.

That is the point: there is no "best method". This is why Slucido and I agree, and the rest of you are arguing. You're not getting it.

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6244 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 315 of 430
05 May 2008 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
reineke wrote:

The little logic fairy passed away this morning 05 May 2008 at 9:32am.

Chris is simply stating that that the lack of an objectively defined best method does not dictate that all methods are therefore of equal effectiveness.

....and does not dictate that there are best methods either.

reineke wrote:

THE best method is different from choosing between a handful of excellent methods, mediocre ones etc. You can therefore have "best methods" assuming they work as advertised if you compare them with other approaches which have proven themselves as less effective.

This should be crystal clear and it somehow escapes you.

How you can have approaches which have 'proved themselves as less effective' if you have lack of an objectively defined best method?

How can you prove or define something as less or more effective if you lack a OBJECTIVE point of reference?

reineke wrote:

Also, how can one choose an inefficient method if methods are all the same, simply decoration etc.?

You have chosen an inefficient method if:

-it don't have input and output and repetition.

-you don't get motivated by it.

Is it so difficult to grasp?

[/QUOTE]

If you have ineffective methods and effective ones, then how can you claim all methods are the same? If all methods are the same and difference in performance is based on belief, don't you by your argument ultimately aim to destroy this belief? Since belief is crucial to sticking with a particuar program, you're ultimately converting people to your own philosophy even though you're telling them they can do whatever they want. The problem is that you're not providing much of an answer.

What cuts best? Knife? Sword? Chain saw? Methods are tools used to carve out that white whale you call "input". If you insist on sucking the blubber through a straw, go for it. Methods are often imperfect by design, meaning highly specialized and designed to target one specific skill or target audience. This qualty makes it obvious all methods are not the same and that it's difficult to talk about the best method. And even within their narrow scope some methods may perform better than others for a varety of reasons - subjective ones included.

ChrisWebb
United Kingdom
Joined 6060 days ago

181 posts - 190 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean

Message 316 of 430
05 May 2008 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:
ChrisWebb wrote:

Quote:

That is the point: there is no "best method". This is why Slucido and I agree, and the rest of you are arguing. You're not getting it.

Slucido isn't simply arguing that there is no best method, he's arguing that all methods are equally effective. Perhaps you are not reading his posts carefully enough and that is why our disagreement is confusing to you.

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6654 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 

Message 317 of 430
05 May 2008 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:
If you have ineffective methods and effective ones, then how can you claim all methods are the same? If all methods are the same and difference in performance is based on belief, don't you by your argument ultimately aim to destroy this belief? Since belief is crucial to sticking with a particuar program, you're ultimately converting people to your own philosophy even though you're telling them they can do whatever they want. The problem is that you're not providing much of an answer.

Who said they were all the same? Well, let me clarify: the methods might differ, but it's still the same language. Am I not right?

Just what is Slucido's philosophy anyway. That all methods are the same? No, but in the end, they yield the same result: you know more of a particular language than you did before.

It's just a reality, if your aim really is to learn a language, that over time, your needs will change. What works for you today might not be so great tomorrow.

There is no one best method. You guys know this, you keep saying it time and time again, and still, all this bickering.

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6654 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 

Message 318 of 430
05 May 2008 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
ChrisWebb wrote:

Slucido isn't simply arguing that there is no best method, he's arguing that all methods are equally effective. Perhaps you are not reading his posts carefully enough and that is why our disagreement is confusing to you.

No, I get exactly what he's trying to say. I've paraphrased what I understand he's saying, I've asked him if I got it right, and he said YES.

All methods can be broken down to the same common demoninator: input + output + time.

Input + output + time is NOT a method. It is the base formula for any given method.

Perhaps that is where the confusion lies. I suspect that people confuse this as being a method in and of itself. No. It just happens to be all you need, regardless of whatever method you choose.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 319 of 430
05 May 2008 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:
ChrisWebb wrote:

No, I get exactly what he's trying to say. I've paraphrased what I understand he's saying, I've asked him if I got it right, and he said YES.

All methods can be broken down to the same common demoninator: input + output + time.

Input + output + time is NOT a method. It is the base formula for any given method.

Perhaps that is where the confusion lies. I suspect that people confuse this as being a method in and of itself. No. It just happens to be all you need, regardless of whatever method you choose.

Yes, it's that simple.

All the methods are NOT the same, because one person can get motivated by method one , but not method two. If your method, whatever, has the formula (input+output) the most important factor is MOTIVATION and TIME.

If you feel motivated and good, it's a good method.

If you feel unmotivated an bad, it's a bad method.

Example:

Maybe Assimil is good for you today, because you feel good, but next semester you feel bad about it and it's a bad method for you.

Maybe you feel good about FSI studying French, it's a good method for you. Maybe you feel bad about FSI studying German, therefore is bad for you.

The same with Arguelles methods, Listening Reading methods, Rambo method, TPR and whatever.

In fact, not only methods are different, but one method can be different between itself in different moments and with the same person.

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6654 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 

Message 320 of 430
05 May 2008 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
I'm exhausted and it's too early in the day for a beer. :)

This discussion contains 430 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version