United States
Joined 6740 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 217 of 430
01 May 2008 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
2-People in their own country who want to learn the language from scratch with native materials:

-Output a lot of interaction with native speakers of his target language who don't       speak  English.

It's immersion in their own country and he will learn with some sort of Physical Total Response.

The examples with immersion you gave make sense, although those of us living in countries with a lot of immigrants have met a number of them who only seem to master the new language partially. Perhaps, they just don't care to improve any further.

The non-immersive scenario you propose involves a bit of cheating, however, since "immersion in their own country" by having access to "native speakers of his target language who don't speak English" is still a form of immersion.

Many learners don't have regular access to such native speakers, so their needs vis a vis native materials-only approach are yet to be discussed. It seems likely that technique is a bigger issues for non-immersive learners.

1 person has voted this message useful

ChrisWebb
United Kingdom
Joined 6060 days ago

181 posts - 190 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean

Message 218 of 430
01 May 2008 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
ChrisWebb wrote:
We know from history that Egyptian Hieroglphics could not be deciphered by those who were passionate about deciphering them and devoted huge amounts of time to the task. It was only when the Rosetta Stone was uncovered and people could access the translations in already known languages that hieroglyphics became readable.

One can but assume that those Egyptologists would've loved to get their hands on a bilingual dictionary ...

Perhaps it's a bit artificial to analyze situations when the learner doesn't even have a bilingual dictionary. My impression was that slucido himself tackled English reading online articles in English with the use of an online dictionary.

Still, it does bring up an issue. Is the dictionary a "linguistic" or a "psychological" device in this case? And if the former, why not throw in a grammar book for good measure? (Cheaters may opt to buy a dictionary with a grammar summary section.) A then a textbook perhaps, and maybe a workbook with some exercises and an answer key?

At what point then does a learning aide cease to be a "linguistic" device and becomes a "psychological" one?

I think you have a good understanding of why such an extreme and perhaps artificial scenario is in fact worthy of attention, it's worth lies in the questions it provokes more than in the answers it provides. Forming the question is often key to discovering the solution.

Edited by ChrisWebb on 01 May 2008 at 10:18am

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 219 of 430
01 May 2008 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
ChrisWebb, I really don't understand what are you arguing right now.

About evidence:

1-Scientifically speaking, if you tell us that some method is better than others, you had to prove it. If not, we don't have any meaningful differences.

If you have a new drug, you had to prove this new drug is better than others. If not, we don't have meaningful differences. You can ask FDA.

2-Apart from point two, we have evidences in favor of my vision. The FSI article about fifty years of theory and practice in government language teaching.

I don't know if you respect those people, but here you go:

slucido wrote:

Lessons learned from fifty years of theory and practice in government language teaching

http://digital.georgetown.edu/gurt/1999/gurt_1999_07.pdf

"Lesson 3. There is no “one right way” to teach (or learn) languages, nor is there a single “right” syllabus.

Students at FSI and in other government language
training programs have learned and still do learn languages successfully
from syllabi based on audio-lingual practice of grammatical patterns, linguistic
functions, social situations, task-based learning, community language learning,
the silent way, and combinations of these and other approaches. Spolsky (1989:
383) writes, “Any intelligent and disinterested observer knows that there are
many ways to learn languages and many ways to teach them, and that some ways
work with some students in some circumstances and fail with others.” This
matches our experience precisely.

It is also clear, as many have reported, that learners’ needs change over
time—sometimes rapidly.

Lesson 4. Time on task and the intensity of the learning experience appear
crucial.

Learning a language also cannot be done in a short time.
"

ChrisWebb wrote:

Would it be fair to assume that your real point is that you dont believe commercial language courses offer good value? If that is so I wonder on what evidential basis you hold that view? I wonder if I spend $50 on language course material ( say for example Assimil ) in one language and $50 on a few foreign language DVDs in another, give them to an average person with a job, family and interest in the languages concerned and leave them to use only these materials for 6 months are you really sure that if he/she invests say 200 hours in each ( because he/she enjoys then equally ) he will be at a similar level in each? I'd bet that he will be further advanced with the language course and it will look like a good investment in terms of both time and money. .   

I have used Assimil, Pismleur, Micheal Thomas and more. And I have used several non commercial methods you can find here.

We are talking about reaching native or near native fluency. We are talking about that goal from the beginning. This can not be achieved in a short period of time. You can read the FSI article. If you need native Korean native fluency in six moths, you have a big problem.

By the way, sooner or later you will need a lot of real materials and real interaction with native speakers. When you achieve your native fluency goal, the method you have been used will be of little importance. Listening, reading, writing and speaking (input and speaking) will be the main generic method for you.

ChrisWebb wrote:

My own personal experience is that I married a Korean girl around 2 years ago and we watch Korean TV together regularly, over 2 years I've probably watched around 1000 hours, I enjoy the experience and although I watch for pleasure I do try and pick things up from watching, indeed I have learned a few words this way. However 6 months or so ago I picked up some language courses, I've spent maybe 150 hours on language course material since then, I dont particularly enjoy language courses yet I have learned far more from them than the TV viewing. My conclusion is that they are simply more effective regardless of psychological factors.   

If that is what you feel work the best for you, do it !!!

However, are you sure you worked with PASSION and INTENSITY with the first method? Did you use output interaction with the first method? I am not so sure.

By the way, if your goal is native fluency, most of your time will be spent with real native materials and real native interaction. Do you need any evidence?

I think the problem is that some of you NEED that your method is OBJECTIVELY the best method and others methods are OBJECTIVELY worst.

Maybe the Rambo method doesn't work for you, but it can work with other people. Maybe gifted or freaky ones, but maybe it even work for you in some moment of your life. Who knows?

Edited by slucido on 01 May 2008 at 1:15pm

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 220 of 430
01 May 2008 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:

One can but assume that those Egyptologists would've loved to get their hands on a bilingual dictionary ...

Sure

frenkeld wrote:

Perhaps it's a bit artificial to analyze situations when the learner doesn't even have a bilingual dictionary. My impression was that slucido himself tackled English reading online articles in English with the use of an online dictionary.

Yes. And without the intention of learning English.

In fact, I like to use native materials from the beginning and translations as long as possible. Two opposite methods. Some people think the first is very bad and some people think the second is very bad. Funnily enough I like the combination.

frenkeld wrote:

Still, it does bring up an issue. Is the dictionary a "linguistic" or a "psychological" device in this case? And if the former, why not throw in a grammar book for good measure? (Cheaters may opt to buy a dictionary with a grammar summary section.) A then a textbook perhaps, and maybe a workbook with some exercises and an answer key?

At what point then does a learning aide cease to be a "linguistic" device and becomes a "psychological" one?

Dictionaries are a linguistic device, but if you are studying a modern language, the preference it's more psychological than anything else.

I remember a lot of discussions about dictionaries in this forum. When to use, if they are useless, useful and so on.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 221 of 430
01 May 2008 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
slucido wrote:
2-People in their own country who want to learn the language from scratch with native materials:

-Output a lot of interaction with native speakers of his target language who don't       speak  English.

It's immersion in their own country and he will learn with some sort of Physical Total Response.

The examples with immersion you gave make sense, although those of us living in countries with a lot of immigrants have met a number of them who only seem to master the new language partially. Perhaps, they just don't care to improve any further.

Thank you. I can not believe you wrote I am writing something that make sense.

I agree with you, but we are talking about people who likes to use the RAMBO method and they have strong motivation to learn the language whatever the reason. The point is that it can be weird, but possible.

If you like one method, provided it has input and output, you will succeed if you have passsion.

If you don't like the method, if you don't have passion, if you don't want to learn the language, nothing will do.

frenkeld wrote:

The non-immersive scenario you propose involves a bit of cheating, however, since "immersion in their own country" by having access to "native speakers of his target language who don't speak English" is still a form of immersion.

Many learners don't have regular access to such native speakers, so their needs vis a vis native materials-only approach are yet to be discussed. It seems likely that technique is a bigger issues for non-immersive learners.

I think the same equation applies here: input+output+time.

If you don't have native speakers, you don't have audio, you don't have nothing...you options are very small. You don't have the minimum to learn the language.

This is not a problem of method, it's a lack or resources problem. If we like a lot one method, but we don't have the resources, we will have to fit our"input-output-time" equation to our resources.

For example, people who likes L-R methods sometimes have problems to find resources to apply the method: parallel texts, unabridged audio,... They need to fit the method.

Edited by slucido on 01 May 2008 at 1:49pm

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6740 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 222 of 430
01 May 2008 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
frenkeld wrote:
Is the dictionary a "linguistic" or a "psychological" device ...?

At what point ... does a learning aide cease to be a "linguistic" device and becomes a "psychological" one?

Dictionaries are a linguistic device, but if you are studying a modern language, the preference it's more psychological than anything else. I remember a lot of discussions about dictionaries in this forum. When to use, if they are useless, useful and so on.

I would be careful here. Just because there is an alternative to a tool doesn't automatically make it into a merely "psychological" device, as long as it fulfills a real ("non-psychological") need.

The main alternatives to dictionaries that have been discussed are (a) using a translation of the text, (b) picking up word meanings from context.

The context method with native materials assumes that one already knows some number of words - the discussions in this forum came up with the estimates of about 2000 for common European languages, and about twice as many for more distant languages. The question then is how to acquire this initial vocabulary, for which most people would use either a dictionary or a translation. To avoid both may require immersion where one can interact with people.

Edited by frenkeld on 01 May 2008 at 3:09pm

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6740 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 223 of 430
01 May 2008 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
frenkeld wrote:
The examples with immersion you gave make sense, although ...

Thank you. I can not believe you wrote I am writing something that make sense.

I actually strongly prefer using native materials myself, and I also think that a method just needs to be sensible, beyond which point one can easily waste a lot more time trying out new methods than the amount of time they may save. I just have questions about some of the other things you said.

We shouldn't forget that while some do, as your examples attest, many immigrants do not learn the language well after many years of living in the country, and it is only a speculation on our part that all of them simply "don't care".

slucido wrote:
frenkeld wrote:

I think the same equation applies here: input+output+time.

If you don't have native speakers, you don't have audio, you don't have nothing...you options are very small. You don't have the minimum to learn the language. This is not a problem of method, it's a lack or resources problem.

Let's assume that one has a decent internet connection and enough money to buy books, movies, and the needed language-learning tools. One just doesn't have face-to-face access to native speakers on a regular basis.

I think one would still have a rather hard time with just input+output+time in this situation (the available output here is talking to oneself and writing).

Edited by frenkeld on 01 May 2008 at 3:18pm

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6244 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 

Message 224 of 430
01 May 2008 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:

“Best Method or More Time ?

I think that methods are not that important. The most important factor is TIME and LOVE devoted to the target language.

Thinking about that, I think the best methods are those that manages to scratch more of your time without you been aware.

For example, I think the DVD movie methods are the best.Why? Because people devote more time to the language without been aware. Time flies when you're having fun.

As I said before, people have their preferences, but provided that the method (or combination) has input and output, it will work.

The important factor about the method it's not their linguistic properties, but their
decorative characteristics. Your motivation and passion and feeling good about the method it's due to this decorative characteristics and not the linguistic ones.

What's better Audio lingual approach, Total Physical Response, Silent way, Suggestopedia and so on?

Provided you use input and output in some stage, I think the differences are decorative, but this decorative differences can be very important to you and they can change during your learning process.

If the most important factor is time, passion and motivation, hence it's very important your methods stir up your passion.

Do you have any problems with the above statements?

As far as I understand, some of you have problems with ONE specific method:

Using real materials from the beginning and ONLY real materials with DISTANT languages, For example: an English learning Korean or a Korean learning Spanish.

I am saying: if one person (maybe one person of 1000,000 people) LIKES a lot this approach, he will succeed if he feel passion and work time enough.

Why ?

Because if he don't use this approach, he will GIVE UP their work. Maybe this person is weird, freaky or stupid from our point of view, but we are dealing with SUBJECTIVE creatures and if he feels bad with other "efficient" methods, he will FAIL.

If I understand, here some people think this person is completely wrong and this method is IMPOSSIBLE with DISTANT languages.

If he use "more efficient" methods, he will fail, because he will give up.
We are dealing with subjective creatures.

Because you need to believe that the method you feel works better for you, it's OBJECTIVELY working better for you. If you need this belief, use it. This belief is part of your method.

I don't remember were I used the word "placebo".

We are talking about reaching native or near native fluency. We are talking about that goal from the beginning. This can not be achieved in a short period of time. You can read the FSI article. If you need native Korean native fluency in six moths, you have a big problem”.

I think the problem is that you and others said too many things some of which contradict each other. The thread is also confusing methods, language materials and language tools.

The theme was best method or more time (regardless of the method) presumably to reach a desired level. We are also presuming there is a method or lack thereof. No mention about native proficiency. Why would a learner necessarily set this goal? No method will take you to native proficiency, and the FSI people state that “the best methods” will take you to level 3 after which the learner needs to go on his own. They do mention time on the job as the most crucial factor, but they do mention several methods. In no way do they advocate raw input without any organized approach.

You advocate raw input which is basically total lack of a method and you downgrade all other methods, tools and adapted language materials to this faculty. Any benefits received on account of using a particular method or language tool are due to learner’s belief rather than intrinsic qualities (which is a definition of a placebo). The method itself is therefore a nonexistent quality and the language material provides simple input.

You insist on love, belief and fun. You ignore other human qualities. Your argument can be turned on its head by saying that many people are achieving their goals despite doing everything the wrong (or long) way just because they are complicated creatures and need to believe that methods don't work. Or, not believing in methods, teachers etc. is ok, as long as you finish a respectable program and continue using the language and basic language tools. Love is optional.

Not everyone is disagreeing that raw input alone may do it, even with exotic languages. I am arguing that even though input alone may do it, if it’s totally disorganized the time factor kicks in. It will take you a lot longer to reach a certain advanced level after which things level off and it is a matter of using the language. However even here language tools like dictionary, grammar etc. help making it a sort of a semi-disorganized “input”, shortening or rather optimizing the learning time. This is especialy acute with the "distant" languages. Relying on disorganized raw input becomes an impossible task for anyone targeting several languages.

And here’s another problem, time and methodology are here unnecessarily opposed.

Assuming a method works, it is supposed to produce results. The more time you put in, the better the results. A method should accelerate things up to a certain level. Using a method does not preclude spending more time for even better results. Methods are about efficient use of time.

Assuming all methods and approaches are equal and it’s all about input, the more time you put in, the better the results.

In short, you cannot oppose methodology and time, your beef is with methods and organized learning and the question should have simply been whether methods work or it’s all in people’s heads.

Edited by reineke on 01 May 2008 at 6:03pm

This discussion contains 430 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version