Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6943 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 113 of 430
27 April 2008 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
If methods don't really matter, just time spent learning, is there a difference if you learn the words that hold the language together and the most common words, or if instead you spend time learning obscure words in the language?

What about the arguments on the importance of grammar? It doesn't matter what your position is, you must hold that your own view is better.

What about the good and bad language courses available? If method is unimportant then it doesn't matter which course you buy.

I can't believe we are having this discussion.

Edited by fanatic on 27 April 2008 at 3:59am

1 person has voted this message useful

Goindol
United States
Joined 5871 days ago

165 posts - 203 votes 

Message 115 of 430
27 April 2008 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
Same with sex. As long as there is INPUT and OUTPUT + TIME, any approach is as good as another.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 116 of 430
27 April 2008 at 10:23am | IP Logged 

Fanatic, you can't believe it because I am attacking the core belief here, but it doesn't prove I am wrong.

fanatic wrote:
If methods don't really matter, just time spent learning, is there a difference if you learn the words that hold the language together and the most common words, or if instead you spend time learning obscure words in the language?

It doesn't matter provided that you feel good and you get enough motivation to work hard and more time. Finally, you have to deal with the real language whatever method you use.

For example:

I began learning English because I had strong desire to read professional articles in English. I began reading online with online dictionaries. I worked with technical vocabulary about health and psychological staff. Useless from practical point of view.

This weird and useless vocabulary was very important, because a spent several years reading these articles and websites.

Later I became interested in practical English, but it would be impossible without my first weird vocabulary and technical approach.

My approach is neither better or worst than starting with Assimil or Pimsleur, it's different.

fanatic wrote:

What about the arguments on the importance of grammar? It doesn't matter what your position is, you must hold that your own view is better.

What about the good and bad language courses available? If method is unimportant then it doesn't matter which course you buy.

I can't believe we are having this discussion.

It's important to do whatever you feel like to do. It is important to do whatever you feel is good for you.

You can learn grammar at the beginning, in the middle or at the end. It doesn't matter provided that you have strong motivation and time.

You can use language courses at the beginning, at the middle or at the end. For example , I began with pimsleur, Assimil I and II when I had around 95% reading understanding.
Same with Michael Thomas.

Motivation and time is the most important thing.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 117 of 430
27 April 2008 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
Goindol wrote:
Same with sex. As long as there is INPUT and OUTPUT + TIME, any approach is as good as another.

I don't know if you are kidding, but I agree with you.

Same as psychotherapy. People and a lot of professionals think their approach and techniques are the best, but there is strong scientific evidence about NOT best approach. In fact, techniques are about 10% the global equation...but this is off topic.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 118 of 430
27 April 2008 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:

I never said that I think Assimil is the best method (and you didn't say that I did, either) but rather that I learn more from "comprehensible input" than from something I don't understand at all, can't get any visual cues from et.c. I think I can agree with you that there isn't a single best method (that works for everybody), but I would never suggest taking a plunge into the ocean of language X before having a solid base. Not that you really said that either. Or maybe you did.
Back to the Russian news (although I only understand 10% of what is said...).

I am not saying that taking a plunge into the ocean language it's better than comprehensible input (in spite of it's critics), I am saying it's an option and some people, some Moroccan immigrants I know, have native level using this hard approach.

At first they don't understand anything, but months later, with interaction, they begin to understand chunks due to contextual clues, and more and more.

You can use, Michael Thomas and jump to real language afterwards.

You can use, Assimil and then jump to real language.

You can use real language and then Assimil and Pimsleur and then continue with real language.

Or you can do whatever you want.

Finally, you will need the real staff.

Edited by slucido on 27 April 2008 at 10:58am

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 119 of 430
27 April 2008 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
Leopejo, you have a very interesting question.

Leopejo wrote:

Well, is YOUR Big Truth more objective? I don't think so. Very few people here accept your Big Truth: "all methods are equal, only time matters".

And no, not contradictory. Assimil is better than Pimsleur for some, Pimsleur is better than Assimil for others, because of their "initial conditions". But saying that they are equal is just, plainly, objectively, wrong. As is wrong saying that if one likes Assimil more and the other likes Pimsleur more, then they both are at the same level as, for example, watching DVDs.

I'm saying "best method" doesn't exist. We are talking about OUTCOME, not about anything else.

Regarding my affirmations, we have two of them and we can be more strict in the formulation:

1-TIME (motivation, dedication...) is the most important factor. This is a matter of FACT. If you want, this is a Big Truth. It's a fact like the sun or the moon exist. You need the language (other fact) and time, without any of them, we have nothing.

2-THERE IS NO BEST METHOD. This isn't a matter of fact. This is a hypothesis.

If you want to be scientific, we have two hypothesis:

1-H0 (null hypothesis): There is NO meaningful differences between methods.

2-H1(alternative hypothesis): There is meaningful differences between methods.

You can design a investigation with control groups to prove H1.

If you don't get enough evidence to support H1, we have to conclude that there isn't enough evidence to rule out H0 (null hypothesis).

If we want to be more scientific and strict, my affirmation is:

There is NOT enough evidence to rule out H0

Leopejo wrote:

By the way, why do you have all those methods? Maybe you have been looking for the "best method"? ;-)

Yes, I have been looking for the best method for several languages long time. I am that skeptic due to my experience looking for the best method.

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5906 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 120 of 430
27 April 2008 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
I'm saying "best method" doesn't exist. We are talking about OUTCOME, not about anything else.

Regarding my affirmations, we have two of them and we can be more strict in the formulation:

1-TIME (motivation, dedication...) is the most important factor. This is a matter of FACT. If you want, this is a Big Truth. It's a fact like the sun or the moon exist. You need the language (other fact) and time, without any of them, we have nothing.

2-THERE IS NO BEST METHOD. This isn't a matter of fact. This is a hypothesis.

If you want to be scientific, we have two hypothesis:

1-H0 (null hypothesis): There is NO meaningful differences between methods.

2-H1(alternative hypothesis): There is meaningful differences between methods.

You can design a investigation with control groups to prove H1.

If you don't get enough evidence to support H1, we have to conclude that there isn't enough evidence to rule out H0 (null hypothesis).

If we want to be more scientific and strict, my affirmation is:

There is NOT enough evidence to rule out H0

I was off this thread, but I came back, thanks to your good post.

1- This is your HYPOTHESIS too. TIME is important and necessary: without time, you don't learn. BUT you can't say for sure that it is the most important factor. As you said, what is important is the outcome (counting there also the fun you had while learning the language). If you have more time than me, but I have a better method, hypothetically it is perfectly possible that I learn more than you. It is the COMBINATION of time and other factors.

2- The group of people in these forums has given MUCH evidence. Someone could make a statistical study and tell us how probable your hypothesis H0 is (with all the difficulty of gathering information from the messages in this forum and accounting for all the skewing factors). Without giving you a number, I am pretty confident that your hypothesis H0 can be ruled out, at least in our group of forumists.

Still, you didn't present H0 as a hypothesis to be ruled out, you presented it as TRUTH. As you put it in your newest post (H1 and H2), it's good for me. There is H1 and H2, and H1 is not 100 % certain (but good for me with enough confidence).

This discussion contains 430 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version