1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 329 of 430
05 May 2008 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:
frenkeld wrote:
Based on my experience with Spanish versus German, how one goes about accumulating vocabulary from the native sources one reads may have a significant effect on how long it takes to accumulate 15,000 words. Perhaps some people won't call the use of flashcards a "method", but it really is a method, a method for retaining vocabulary. Ask Katie to get rid of SuperMemo and Mnemosyne on her computer and see if she still likes you.

I don't think Slucido would do that because it's working for me right now. Where did you get that he said that I shouldn't?

Edit: Where did you get that HE WOULD say that I shouldn't?

I am a SRS flashcard fanatic right now. :-))
I don't know next year.

1 person has voted this message useful

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6654 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 330 of 430
05 May 2008 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
It's interesting.

Maybe the "best method" is the "simplest method"...

You just learn a few more things, one day at a time.

It's so, so simple. Today in Spanish, I learned "Quien rompe paga," for example. That has nothing to do with this thread. Anyway, that's an expression I didn't know yesterday, but I know it now, so yippee for me! That's one more than I knew before. I'm only learning one new word or expression right now, though. But that's still seven a week.

I'm more aggressive with Russian. I try to learn up to 7. The same with Czech and German. That's 49 new words or expressions a week, 49 more than I knew the week before.

My materials are completely different for each language. It really is all the same to me. A word is a word is a word.

Are there faster, better ways? Probably.

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6654 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 

Message 331 of 430
05 May 2008 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
I just remembered something. This was years ago. I was visiting a friend down in San Diego, whose mom worked in the language lab at UC San Diego. I remember her telling me about some study that said that the average human brain can only learn x number of words a day. It might have been 7, I can't remember. I'm sure that this is debatable. But the crux of her argument was, it really didn't matter what you did, your brain has a saturation point of x number of words in a given period of time, like a day. I can't remember.

So there's nothing revolutionary here. It's just reality. Of course there will be variance.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6740 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 332 of 430
05 May 2008 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:
it really didn't matter what you did, your brain has a saturation point of x number of words in a given period of time, like a day.

Great, so a method that saturates that number every day is better than the one that doesn't.

Goindol
United States
Joined 5871 days ago

165 posts - 203 votes 

Message 333 of 430
05 May 2008 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
I've heard of a study that concluded that 42% of all studies are wrong.

I'm sure there's an upper limit somewhere, but 7 sounds way too low. For various reasons I've stopped studying vocabulary in isolation but I remember using visual mnemonics to great effect to learn words.

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6654 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 

Message 334 of 430
05 May 2008 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:
it really didn't matter what you did, your brain has a saturation point of x number of words in a given period of time, like a day.

Great, so a method that saturates that number every day is better than the one that doesn't.

I would take a guess and say "yes".

Goindol
United States
Joined 5871 days ago

165 posts - 203 votes 

Message 335 of 430
05 May 2008 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:

I am a SRS flashcard fanatic right now. :-))
I don't know next year.

By Slucido's Postulate, aren't non-spaced flashcards just as good as SRS if there's INPUT + OUTPUT + TIME?

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6654 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 

Message 336 of 430
05 May 2008 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
Goindol wrote:
I've heard of a study that concluded that 42% of all studies are wrong.

I'm sure there's an upper limit somewhere, but 7 sounds way too low. For various reasons I've stopped studying vocabulary in isolation but I remember using visual mnemonics to great effect to learn words.

It seems low to me, too.

Oh, wait! Maybe she said you have to have seen that word used in x number of different contexts before you really "know" it.

This discussion contains 430 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version