Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 1 of 200
12 December 2009 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
This is Joanthemaid preparing for the Team TAC 2010. I will start posting on Jan 1st. My starting levels:
A1+ in Russian (But no listening skill whatsoever)
B2 in Spanish (with a higher reading and lower speaking skills)

My goals:
B2 in Russian
C1 in Spanish

Edited by joanthemaid on 18 December 2009 at 3:34pm

1 person has voted this message useful

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 2 of 200
27 December 2009 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
I'll start posting in here only from now on, sorry about the mess, team members, I'm still getting the hang of things in here.
Still not posting about my actual accomplishments, but I'll give you a more detailed lesson plan here:

My goal in Spanish is to speak it reasonably fluently and be able to read and understand it, as well as be understood in writing. Writing Spanish is a pain in my... so please excuse me if my accents are turned the other way (as I can use those on my French keyboard). I used to think I was almost fluent in Spanish, and I can read pretty well but both of my production skills are seriously lacking. I am not NEARLY fluent, and I want to change that.
I'm going to Spain in the summer so my main skills to develop will be Listening and Speaking for the first part of the year, and then Reading (because I like reading and have that thing against reading translations. Pet peeve.)

This is what I'm planning on doing at least once a week each:
- Watching Spanish news online on: http://www.rtve.es/
- Once I get a bit better, watching a TV show such as:
http://www.rtve.es/mediateca/videos/20081101/amar-tiempos-re vueltos1t-capitulo
/348713.shtml
- Reading an article intensively and inputting vocabulary, phrases or entire sentences in Anki and learning them (My listening skill isn't yet good enough for me to learn vocabulary orally). Right now I'm reading this:
http://blogs.rtve.es/vicenteromero/posts
- Maybe writing a little paragraph in Lang-8, as it's difficult for me to practice speaking and writing is the next best thing

As for everyday study, I'll AT THE VERY LEAST keep up with my reviews on Anki:
http://ichi2.net/anki/index.html

During my holidays, weekly goals will become daily. I hope I'll be able to do more that that, bu I can't plan any more as I have a job and that has to be my priority.

My goal in Russian is a well-balanced B2 level, although reading is really the reason I want to learn it. But reading is still a bit scary for the moment.
My current level is A1+, nearly A2 if I was a bit more spontaneous (i.e., didn't need ten minutes to make a simple sentence)

In the early months, I will:
- Complete and review "Je parle Russe, Niveau 1" (я говорю по-русски!) (a cheap little essential grammar book)
- Master "я говорю по-русски!", Level 2, which should get me close to level B1, by June would be good
- Listen to Russian audioguides on Lib.ru and be happy when I catch a word, or listen to other spoken material
- Listen and learn Russian songs (thanks Sprachjunge)
- Speak to myself in my bathroom or other empty places
- Sometimes write in Lang8
- Learn and store in Anki all new vocabulary that's not from "я говорю по-русски!"
- Review everyday with Anki

In the second part of the year, I will:
- Read articles and stories from Lib.ru
- Learn and store in Anki new vocabulary
- Learn and review in Anki every day

Yeah, I know, I'm doing a lot of rote-learning but really, it reassures me.

EDIT ( January 13):

My goals by the time I'm 30 (in 7.5 years):
Level C1 (advanced fluency) in all six UN languages, i.e. English (C2), French (C2), Spanish, Russian, Arabic (standard modern) and Mandarin. Therefore being able to communicate with the largest part of the world's population and to read those languages with ease.

Edited by joanthemaid on 14 January 2010 at 12:04am

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 3 of 200
28 December 2009 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
Sprachjunge has started so I guess I'll do the same. Today I:
- Studied the last two lessons of My 'I speak Russian' book, level 1, which means once I review it all I'll officially start the TAC at level A2! (No test or diploma, but hey). Which is cool but then again it's gonna make my progress less impressive. My goal is still B2 and I think I can do it! (ask, believe, receive, as a friend of a friend's says)
- Made a new Russian friend on Lang8. Might end up as a phone buddy, that would be amazing but I'm not sure yet. He's only 18 but then again young people are here to be exploited. Besides I'm only 22. I'm surprised at how well we managed to communicate :). I only had to look up like two words.
- followed up with my Anki and entered some new words into it
- Haven't done anything about Spanish as of 6 p.m, apart from correcting my paragraph on Lang8. Let me fix that and get back to you.
28 dec 2009, evening (edit):
- Read a short article in Spanish, put added vocab in Anki and learnt it (badly) and watched a video entitled "Hijos de las estrellas" about everything that's been done this year in astrophysics. Plus read a bit of an article about the LHC too (Large Hadron Collider, that particle collider in Geneva)

Edited by joanthemaid on 29 December 2009 at 8:45am

Sprachjunge
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6963 days ago

368 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 4 of 200
28 December 2009 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your kind words, and it's good to see your log! Thanks for the tips concerning the Spanish news and the Russian audiobook sites. When I go back to college after break and no longer have Spanish television, I know I'll be on that news site.

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 5 of 200
29 December 2009 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
Dear Teammates, here are two sites for listening to music that I've discovered today (maybe you guys have been there already):

http://russmus.net/ (lyrics and English translations)
http://sradio.tv/city/Moscow (sh... ton of radio stations, and that's just what they've got for Moscow. I've been listening to Русское Радио, maybe not the best station but it has the advantage of only playing songs in Russian.
3 persons have voted this message useful

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 6 of 200
29 December 2009 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
Time for a log... Today was a mostly Russian day. I've found out that when I studied both languages equally Spanish tended to stick with me rather than Russian so to avoid getting less out of my Russian studies I'm going to do like Sprachjunge and, without quite giving up a language every other day, having a dominant language each day. So today, I'm starting and finishing with Russian but I did a bit of Spanish on LingQ (I'm annoyed though because due to my level no doubt they won't give me the natural speech files, only the slow ones) and vocab learning on Anki.

So for Spanish first:
- I reviewed the vocabulary that was due on Anki. I'm happy because my little gauge is becoming green :)
- I read and listened to an article on LinQ and entered 21 words of vocabulary into Anki.

Russian:
- I listened to the radio for about 2 hours, and was happy to understand a few words from the songs, as well as a whole lot of "с новим годам!", Happy new year. I managed to understand the topic of adds related to the holiday season and listened to the weather forecast (didn't get most of it), the news (incomprehensible) and something that I think was the stock market reports (but am not sure).
- I did two lessons on "Russian for Everyone", really basic and so very easy grammatically but there was some new vocab, which I entered into Anki and learned. These lessons are way below my level, but I'm doing them anyway as my oral skills are seriously lacking. I might switch with the Princeton course but Russian for Everyone has regular auto-correcting tests, which reassures me as to my skills.
- Reviewed half of "I speak Russian", volume 1. That was the easy part. Tomorrow I do the second part and then I'm starting Volume 2.
- Am now going to learn the first dialogue from the Princeton courses (intellectual property of David Freedel)

Edit: Did indeed do the Princeton course but instead of just the first dialogue, learned the entire first lesson (two dialogues) plus entered the four words and expressions I didn't know there into my anki (might have been more actually). Good night to you all, and sweet dreams in any and all native or foreign languages you may know!

Edited by joanthemaid on 29 December 2009 at 10:14pm

Darobat
Diglot
Joined 6986 days ago

754 posts - 770 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin

Message 7 of 200
29 December 2009 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
joanthemaid wrote:
- I listened to the radio for about 2 hours, and was happy to understand a few words from the songs, as well as a whole lot of "с новим годам!", Happy new year.
С новым годом. :)

Good luck with your Russian!

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 8 of 200
29 December 2009 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Darobat! On the day, I'll make sure I spell it right!

Edited by joanthemaid on 29 December 2009 at 10:10pm

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version