Joined 5137 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 41 of 1549
19 January 2011 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
maxval wrote:

hribecek wrote:
Emberek is jók, mert cseh életi mód hasonló módamhoz – legfontosobb életet élvez és legkevesebb stresz.

What is "módam" - I dont understand this word...

hribecek wrote:
Szeretnek tanítani, de nagyobb tervem.

I dont understand this, what you want to say?

With módam I meant 'my method of life' or 'my lifestyle'.

In the second sentence I wanted to say -

I like teaching but I have a bigger plan. (In English I would have said 'I have bigger ambitions' but I didn't know the word for ambition.

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6944 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 42 of 1549
19 January 2011 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
maxval wrote:
hribecek wrote:

I´m also hoping for more success with my choice of definite or indefinite conjugation.

In reality it is a Hungarian myth that definite and indefinite conjugation is something extremely difficult. It is true that in Europe only two languages has definite and indefinite conjugation (Hungarian and Mordvin, even other Finno-Ugric languages dont have this feature), but there are rules for this.

Personally I think that the ergative type verb conjugations (for example in Basque or Georgian language) is much more difficult and complex, than the definite-indefinite conjugation.

I think that the most difficult part in Hungarian grammar for non-native speakers is the correct use of verbal prefixes, where they are - when are they prefixed to the word, when after it, when are separated from it.
Examples:
"bemegyek a szobába"
"nem megyek be a szobába"
"be akarok menni a szobába"
In this case there are many options, and there are no clear rules.

That's interesting. I've always found Hungarian word order to be the biggest killer for a foreigner. Even after all these years my sometimes strange word order gives me away as a non-native.

I do agree on your point about Hungarian indefinite and definite conjugation. It's really not *that* hard as it's applied mechanically depending on whether it conforms to at least one of 7 rules.
2 persons have voted this message useful

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4861 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, Bulgarian, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Latin, Modern Hebrew

Message 43 of 1549
19 January 2011 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
I've just watched 'the gods must be crazy' in Hungarian and although I knew what they were talking about from having seen it before, I understood about 1 or maybe 2%!

Watching movies is always very hard.

I have the same problem with American and British movies.

When reading in English, I understand 95-99 %, depending on the text. So I am almost completely fluent in English, but ONLY IN READING.

Watching English-language movies I understand only 25-30 %!!! Sometimes full sentences are lost for me.

Usually I watch English-language movies in the original language, but with English subtitles. It is good that most DVDs include text for the hearing impaired. I am not hearing impaired, but these hearing impaired subtitles are very good for persons who have problems understanding the spoken language.

My English is very passive. I am good in reading, and I can write in English without very big mistakes. But I have problem understanding native speakers of English who speak quickly. When a Russian or an Indian or a Spanish speak in English with their Indian/Russian/Spanish accent, I understand 100 %, but when a British or an American speaks, I understand 70-80 % depending on the situation...

Also, I have problems with speaking. I know thousands of English words, but in many cases I dont know the correct pronunciation. And I have almost no practice, because I use English mainly in reading and writing, not speaking, for example I pronounce the words "MAN" and "MEN" the same way... :-)

Edited by maxval on 19 January 2011 at 5:01pm

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4861 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 

Message 44 of 1549
19 January 2011 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:

Mód with possesive suffix in 1st person singular will be MÓDOM.

Lifestyle is ÉLETMÓD.

hribecek wrote:
I like teaching but I have a bigger plan. (In English I would have said 'I have bigger ambitions' but I didn't know the word for ambition.

"Szeretek tanítani, de van egy nagyobb tervem."

Ambition in this case would be very simple: AMBÍCIÓ. It can be translated as BECSVÁGY too, but in this sense its better to say "ambíció". But in reality saying "nagyobb terveim vannak" is better than "nagyobb ambícióim vannak" - you know that in Hungarian using too much foreign words is considered kind of snobbery...

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5137 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 45 of 1549
21 January 2011 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
maxval wrote:
hribecek wrote:

Mód with possesive suffix in 1st person singular will be MÓDOM.

Lifestyle is ÉLETMÓD.

hribecek wrote:

"Szeretek tanítani, de van egy nagyobb tervem."

Ambition in this case would be very simple: AMBÍCIÓ. It can be translated as BECSVÁGY too, but in this sense its better to say "ambíció". But in reality saying "nagyobb terveim vannak" is better than "nagyobb ambícióim vannak" - you know that in Hungarian using too much foreign words is considered kind of snobbery...

Are there any rules for learning whether back vowel suffixes have an A or an O in them?

I really don't like using loaned foreign words when speaking Czech or hopefully Hungarian in the future so I'll stick to 'terv'. For example in Czech, I always say the Czech versions for loan words even when Czechs prefer to use the loan word, it's my pet hate.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5137 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 46 of 1549
21 January 2011 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
maxval wrote:
hribecek wrote:
I've just watched 'the gods must be crazy' in Hungarian and although I knew what they were talking about from having seen it before, I understood about 1 or maybe 2%!

Watching movies is always very hard.

I have the same problem with American and British movies.

When reading in English, I understand 95-99 %, depending on the text. So I am almost completely fluent in English, but ONLY IN READING.

Watching English-language movies I understand only 25-30 %!!! Sometimes full sentences are lost for me.

Usually I watch English-language movies in the original language, but with English subtitles. It is good that most DVDs include text for the hearing impaired. I am not hearing impaired, but these hearing impaired subtitles are very good for persons who have problems understanding the spoken language.

My English is very passive. I am good in reading, and I can write in English without very big mistakes. But I have problem understanding native speakers of English who speak quickly. When a Russian or an Indian or a Spanish speak in English with their Indian/Russian/Spanish accent, I understand 100 %, but when a British or an American speaks, I understand 70-80 % depending on the situation...

Also, I have problems with speaking. I know thousands of English words, but in many cases I dont know the correct pronunciation. And I have almost no practice, because I use English mainly in reading and writing, not speaking, for example I pronounce the words "MAN" and "MEN" the same way... :-)

All I can say is that your written English is excellent. I also use the hearing impaired option for Spanish films and used to do it for a long time with Czech too. Even in Czech there are some films where I really struggle to understand big chunks, especially artistic/poetic films.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5137 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 47 of 1549
22 January 2011 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
Another strange story. Hopefully it will be as effective as the first one in helping me to remember new vocabulary. I´m going to try to use as many of my recently learned words as possible. I will be using the present tense mainly as I want to practise it a bit more.

JANUARY CHALLENGE – WRITTEN PIECE 3

Ron a hóban ruha nélkül (nélkül ruha?) áll. Igaz hogy éleg hűvös idő van, de Ron nagyon erős angol! Fúj a szél és lehet mínusz húsz fok van. Nem tudja, miért itt van, de emléksziki hogy tegnap bulin volt és buliken mindig sok iszik. A feje nem fáj és jól van, csak egy kiscit fázik! Kezd futni, mert akarok melegje lenni és akarok házat találni. Most mezőben van és más mezőben mellett tehéneket lát. Fut más mezőhöz és ugrik a más mezőbe. Félik tehének tőle és elfutnak, de Ron nem akarok tehénet enni, tehéneket néha eszik, de ma nem, mert csak akarok benn lenni, tűz mellett. Egy házat lát.

A ház éleg régi és kint két öreg férfi áll. Az öreg férfik őt látja és tőle félik, mert Ron ruha nélkül van!

„Jó reggelt kívánok” nekik mondja Ron, „bocsánat, eltevedtem, nem tudom hol vagyok és hóban ruha nélkül nagyon fázom vagyok.”
„Nem bizony! Miért ruha nélkül van? Miért nem tudja hol van?”
„Itt félebresztem és nem emlékszem mi történt, tudna segíteni?”
„Skótországban van.”
„Skótországban! Ugyan már! Tegnap egyesült Államokban voltam, nem lehet!”
„Mit csináltál egyesült Államokban? Hazudik, buta nem vagyunk, elmenjen innan!”
„Nem hazudom, igaz van, maguknak ígérom, Nekem hisznik?”
„Nem, hol van fegyverem, most már haragszok.”

A öreg férfi megy és elveszi a fegyveretje. Ron fél és elfut. Még hóban van és nagyon fázik, fájnak a lábja és sok akarok aludni. Tizenöt perc folytat futni, de itt csak mezők vannak. Egyszerre mezőben egy tömeget lát és mindenki barátjai. Közelebb megy és mindenki nevetje mondják, akkor azt kiabálják és Ron furcsa érzi magát. Már nem jól lát és alszik, de még hallja hogy nevetje kiabálják.....egyszerre fejeket barátjai jól látja és más vannak.

„Felébresztj Ron! Ron, felébresztj” neki mondják.

Szeme nyitvak és már tudja hol van és mi történt. Kint hóban van, leesette (leesik/he fell over?) amikor kint ment dohányzikni. Csak rossz álom volt. Már nagyon örül, hogy skótországban ruha nélkül nem van.

So maybe it's a bit too complex for my level. My hope is that you'll understand most of it at least. Once again, Maxval, Chung or whoever, I'll be really grateful for corrections, I've already copied out the last ones and they're very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4861 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 

Message 48 of 1549
23 January 2011 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
Igaz hogy éleg hűvös idő van, de Ron nagyon erős angol!

ELÉG

hribecek wrote:
Fúj a szél és lehet mínusz húsz fok van.

lehet, HOGY mínusz húsz fok van

hribecek wrote:
Nem tudja, miért itt van, de emléksziki hogy tegnap bulin volt és buliken mindig sok iszik.

word order - Nem tudja, miért VAN ITT

EMLÉKSZIK

bulikOn

A bulikon - article needes

hribecek wrote:
A feje nem fáj és jól van, csak egy kiscit fázik!

KICSIT

hribecek wrote:
Kezd futni, mert akarok melegje lenni és akarok házat találni.

1st person ot 3rd person?

"Kezd futni, mert azt akarja, hogy melege legyen és egy házat akar találni."
OR
"Kezdek futni, mert azt akarom, hogy melegem legyen és egy házat akarok találni."

hribecek wrote:
Most mezőben van és más mezőben mellett tehéneket lát.

MEZŐN

"mezőben mellett" - mellett is used with Nominativus, so: "mező mellett"

TEHENEK

"Most egy mezőn van és egy másik mező mellett teheneket lát."

hribecek wrote:
Fut más mezőhöz és ugrik a más mezőbe.

Runs or jumps? Both cannot be used.

"Fut a másik mezőre."

hribecek wrote:
Félik tehének tőle és elfutnak, de Ron nem akarok tehénet enni, tehéneket néha eszik, de ma nem, mert csak akarok benn lenni, tűz mellett.

plural should be used: tehenek félnek

Ron nem akar - 3rd person

"A tehenek félnek tőle és elfutnak, de Ron nem akar tehenet enni, néha eszik tehenet, de ma nem, mert csak benn akar lenni, a tűz mellett."

Edited by maxval on 23 January 2011 at 7:41pm

This discussion contains 1549 messages over 194 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version