Joined 4495 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 169 of 568
10 October 2012 at 7:42am | IP Logged 
Saim wrote:
Hey, Hekje, hoe gaat je Nederlands? Het lijkt dat je heel veel heeft
geoefend! Ik ben opnieuw aan het Nederlands leren... nou, ik was al op B1 niveau maar
ik denk dat ik nog veel moet leren.

Hoe gaat het bij jou? Ik vermoed dat je al ten minste B2 zou spreken kunnen, toch? Waar
zit je nu, in VS? Ik zit nu in Barcelona waar ik ben aan het Catalaans en Punjabi
leren, en aan de universiteit studeren. Wat doet jij?

Hee, wat hartstikke fijn dat je geschreven hebt! Bij mij gaat het goed. Ik zit nu in
het vierde en laatste jaar van de opleiding Illustratie aan een kunstacademie in Rhode
Island (of 'Rode Eiland', zo je wil). Er is weinig tijd overgebleven voor het
Nederlands, maar ik zit nog op het B2-niveau, denk ik. :-)

Volgens mij leest je Nederlands vlot en makkelijk. Maar ik weet niet hoe je genoeg tijd
hébt, aangezien dat je nu in Spanje zit! Waarom besloot je om naar Barcelona te
verhuizen? Heb je nog de kans gekregen om Nederlands te gebruiken?

joshkaasik wrote:
Hi Hekje! Great to see all this progress with Dutch! Well done! Are
you starting a new language sometime soon too?

Hey, thanks so much! I've decided to stick with just Dutch for now.

How are you doing? I see from your log there's been good progress made over the past
few days, so congratulations on that - and more importantly, congratulations on your
wedding! :-D
1 person has voted this message useful

joshkaasik
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4304 days ago

61 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: English*, Estonian*
Studies: Spanish, German

Message 170 of 568
10 October 2012 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
Hekje wrote:

Hey, thanks so much! I've decided to stick with just Dutch for now.

How are you doing? I see from your log there's been good progress made over the past
few days, so congratulations on that - and more importantly, congratulations on your
wedding! :-D

Thanks! Yeah, I was away for a while and then there never seems to be a good time to start again, but I finally did..
now there aren't any huge obstacles on the horizon, so hopefully I can just keep at it for months on end!

You're a student as well? What do you study?
Best of luck and keep up the Dutch!

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 171 of 568
01 November 2012 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Okaaaaaay.

What I have done in the past two months:

- Kept up with Boer zoekt Vrouw (of course)
- Read a handful of pages from archibald strohalm while sitting on the rocks by the bay, feeling moody and
philosophical
- Used Facebook, my phone, and my mp3 player, which are all in Dutch

Bottom line is that, as of today, I am getting back on the wagon. archibald strohalm will kick things off and
I'll play it by ear from there.

I will say that there have been some benefits (scant though they may be) to taking a break from the
language. For one, I definitely feel less overwhelmed than I did at the end of August. When I do read or listen to
Dutch, it's crystal clear to me what I know and what I don't. Previously, everything was getting muddled to the
point where I felt like I was supposed to know everything already and felt terribly dumb when I made mistakes.
All that's gone now.

So that's good. The benefits of taking a break, though, clearly don't stack up against the benefits of actually, you
know, sitting down and learning. So it's back to work for now.

@joshkaasik - Feels great to take the plunge, right? I have a good feeling about this upcoming year language-
wise, I think a lot of progress will be made.

Yup, I'm actually an art student. I work primarily with charcoal and After Effects (an animation program). What's
your area of study?
Thanks so much for the well-wishes, and good luck with your Spanish this week.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 172 of 568
01 November 2012 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
Okaaaaaay.

What I have done in the past two months:

- Kept up with Boer zoekt Vrouw (of course)
- Read a handful of pages from archibald strohalm while sitting on the rocks by the bay, feeling moody and
philosophical
- Used Facebook, my phone, and my mp3 player, which are all in Dutch

Bottom line is that, as of today, I am getting back on the wagon. archibald strohalm will kick things off and
I'll play it by ear from there.

I will say that there have been some benefits (scant though they may be) to taking a break from the
language. For one, I definitely feel less overwhelmed than I did at the end of August. When I do read or listen to
Dutch, it's crystal clear to me what I know and what I don't. Previously, everything was getting muddled to the
point where I felt like I was supposed to know everything already and felt terribly dumb when I made mistakes.
All that's gone now.

So that's good. The benefits of taking a break, though, clearly don't stack up against the benefits of actually, you
know, sitting down and learning. So it's back to work.

@joshkaasik - Feels great to take the plunge, right? I have a good feeling about this upcoming year language-

Yup, I'm actually an art student. I work primarily with charcoal and After Effects (an animation program). What's
your area of study?

joshkaasik
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4304 days ago

61 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: English*, Estonian*
Studies: Spanish, German

Message 173 of 568
01 November 2012 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
Hekje wrote:
Okaaaaaay.

@joshkaasik - Feels great to take the plunge, right? I have a good feeling about this
upcoming year language-

Yup, I'm actually an art student. I work primarily with charcoal and After Effects (an
animation program). What's
your area of study?

It does! Going to be going to Ecuador this winter, so I'm looking forward to getting
some good practice. Quite motivating.

Oh wow, that's great! I'm an International Economics student.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 174 of 568
04 November 2012 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
Alright, Dutch time. Het spijt me als mijn Nederlands niet meer goed is, maar ik moet
ergens beginnen.

Het enige ding dat ik specifiek wou vermelden, is dat ik wat interessante dingen heb
opgemerkt op Facebook. Ik had Facebook al lang niet gebruikt omdat het te verslavend
was geworden. Het werd sinds januari 2011 niet geactiveerd. Ik kon toen geen Nederlands
(uiteraard) en nu dat ik dat kán (een beetje) heb ik veel interesse in de verschillen
tussen de Nederlandstalige en Engelstalige versies van de dienst. Of... ik weet niet of
er werkelijk verschillen in zit, maar zo leek het.

Opmerking 1: In de Engelstalige versie van Facebook wordt je gevraagd om je
'Hometown' in te stellen. Dat lijkt me wel duidelijk: 'Hometown' is het dorpje (of
stad) waar je je op je gemak voelt. Voor mij is dat een bepaald dorpje dat naast
Washington, D.C. ligt. Klaar!

Maar. In de Nederlandstalige versie van Facebook wordt je gevraagt om je
geboorteplaats in te stellen, en voor mij is dat een stad waar ik maar een paar
maanden in woonde. Die informatie is niet verwant aan mijn huidige leven! Ik vroeg me
af of er simpelweg geen Nederlandse vertaling voor 'hometown' bestaat (twijfelachtig)
of of de meeste Nederlanders zijn opgegroeid in de stad waarin ze werden geboren.
Antwoorden of speculatie? Ik ben er open voor.

Opmerking 2: Aangezien dat het Nederlands al geen enkel werkwoord voor 'like'
bevat, is het geen verassing dat de 'Like button' nu ook anders is. In plaats daarvan
hebben we het 'vind-ik-leuk'-knopje. Aanvankelijk vroeg ik me af waarom het 'Vind ik
leuk' was - het zou ook bijvoorbeeld 'Ik vind dit leuk' kunnen zijn - maar ik besefte
later dat de 'dit' aan het begin waarschijnlijk een veronderstelling is.

Opmerking 3: In plaats van 'Newsfeed' hebben we het 'Nieuwsoverzicht'. Ik weet
heel goed dat de betekenis van het woord dezelfde is, maar ik lees dit altijd (in
gebrekkig Nederlands) als 'News oversight', wat maakt dat ik me erg machtig voel, net
zoals een god die alles kan zien.

Okeee. Eerste lange Nederlandstalige post sinds twee maanden. Dat was niet de pijnlijke
ervaring die ik verwacht had!

@joshkaasik: Oh what?! That sounds terrific. Ecuador for family, language learning,
just for fun...?
International Economics must be a master's program, your Spanish must come in handy for
that.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4499 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 175 of 568
04 November 2012 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
Hekje, het Nederlands kent de uitdrukking "geboren en getogen" (born and raised) in een
bepaalde plaats. De "hometown" refereert hier dan aan de stad waar je getogen bent,
maar daar bestaat gewoon geen woord voor. Dus de enige manier om het relatief uit te
drukken is te zeggen "geboorteplaats".

Maar Nederlanders groeien niet noodzakelijkerwijs in dezelfde plaats op als waar ze
geboren zijn; ik ben geboren in een dorp in Zuid-Holland, maar heb 3,5 jaar in Canada
gewoond in de tussentijd (ben daarna toevallig weer teruggekeerd, dus het is alsnog
mijn hometown, maar dat is meer geluk dan wijsheid). Mijn broertje is dan ook in Canada
geboren, dus voor hem geldt hetzelfde als voor jou - zijn geboorteplaats is niet waar
hij het grootste gedeelte van zijn leven doorbracht.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 176 of 568
04 November 2012 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Ik zei dat ik wát tv bekeken had - herinneer je je dat nog? Dit zijn de cijfers:

Films en afleveringen: 51 van 100
'Boeken' (eenheden van 100 pagina's): 7 van 100
Boeken: 2 van 100

Dus... vooruitgang, zeker, al weet ik niet of ik de uitdaging zal kunnen voltooien.

Vanmorgen las ik één pagina uit archibald strohelm. Nu ben ik op pagina 106.

@tarvos: Hmm, mooi. Bedankt voor de uitleg. Grappig dat het Nederlands geen precies
equivalent voor het woord 'hometown' heeft. Jullie hebben uiteraard hetzelfde concept,
maar er is geen 'getogenplaats'.

This discussion contains 568 messages over 71 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version