United States
Joined 4480 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 329 of 568
11 October 2013 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
Hekje wrote:
I've definitely flirted with the idea of learning German at some point, but I'm not sure how my Dutch will interfere
with it. They're so closely related that I'm afraid it'll just come out as a mush. Your thoughts?

Having gone the other way, my impressions will be slightly different, but here's how my experience has gone. Knowing German well made it extremely easy to get up an running with semi-comprehensible written input in Dutch (given that I put a lot of time into the project because it was mostly quite fun).

First, I went through the book "Dutch in 3 months" in about a week or two. I previously had used "Teach Yourself Dutch" years ago but hadn't really learned or remembered anything.

Then I ordered Harry Potter book 3 (it was the cheapest one I could find used at amazon--now you can get them online from the pottermore shop for cheap, both NL and DE). While waiting for it to arrive, I started reading the wikipedia Dutch entries about the book, copying and pasting whole sections into google translate to make a rudimentary parallel text. This helped me to quickly learn the most common peculiar vocabulary I would need, like "wizard," "magic wand," "muggle" and the like. Then I just started reading the book, looking up certain words at times, but mostly just reading, whether I understood or not. After a couple hundred pages, I was reading comfortably, with maybe 95%+ vocab coverage.

I then moved on to more Harry Potter and listening to audiobooks of Jules Verne, sometimes while reading along with the kindle version (I understood very little for a long time, but I think this helped). In a couple months, tops, I felt comfortable making the leap to books I hadn't read before, and kept reading. I started listening to streaming Radio 1 NL and BNR Nieuwsradio over the internet.

It was only after a very long period of time (1.5+ years?) that I even tried speaking, however, and that's still tough, but gets easier quickly. I think if I committed to actually using my Assimil Dutch course as directed, I'd be speaking very comfortably in a few months.

One caveat: Dutch grammar is greatly simplified compared to German grammar (partly due to very recent changes in the official Dutch language standard, from what I hear). I can't tell how much harder it would be going the other way.

Another caveat: Dutch lies between English and German on a hypothetical dialect continuum. I can't say if it's harder trying to move further away from BOTH of the languages you know than to learn something in between them. I suspect it might be.

All in all, I expect that solid grasp of Dutch should at worst give you a deep discount on the amount of time it will take to learn German, and your previous experience of learning a language to a high level will make your subsequent attempts easier, more efficient and less intimidating.
2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4480 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 330 of 568
11 October 2013 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
At your level? Mix them up? I doubt it.

Ah, I forgot to even address this concern. But yeah, agreed. The worst likely problem is if you're trying to speak and you aren't solid enough on the German you may have a Dutch word spring to mind and you'll not be sure if it's valid or not. But that's better than having no word available to try, isn't it?

I wouldn't expect any negative effect on your Dutch at all.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4499 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 331 of 568
11 October 2013 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
One caveat: Dutch grammar is greatly simplified compared to German grammar
(partly due to very recent changes in the official Dutch language standard, from what I
hear). I can't tell how much harder it would be going the other way.

Yeah, and the orthography of German is actually somewhat easier. But the big problem is
that noun and adjective declensions (and more like article declensions) are still in
full swing in German. Most Dutch people do not have trouble with German grammar, they
will retain an accent in pronunciation (but the Germans like this accent because it is
usually more a sentence melody thing than any gross errors when it comes to sounds).
What you will have to get used to is learning the gender of each word and using the
declension correctly - when it comes to everything else, it's more or less the same
grammar, with some details when you get further into it (the future tense works a bit
differently and eventually you have to use a subjunctive, which Dutch has more or less
abolished).

Quote:
Another caveat: Dutch lies between English and German on a hypothetical dialect
continuum. I can't say if it's harder trying to move further away from BOTH of the
languages you know than to learn something in between them. I suspect it might be.

It isn't that much harder. The grammar is a bigger obstacle. Many, many Dutch people
learn English before they learn German, moving away from those two tongues, and they do
just fine. Dutch people tend to understand German well but have problems with the
grammar, because cases are something we are taught but do not use ourselves
instinctively. The rest tends to be fine, for those of us that know German. And even
people who have poor production when it comes to German are bound to understand
utterings in it and recognise it as German.

Edited by tarvos on 11 October 2013 at 6:53pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4480 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 332 of 568
11 October 2013 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
and eventually you have to use a subjunctive, which Dutch has more or less
abolished).
And even

Technically, two "subjunctives," but this distinction is actually not a big deal. And I don't think that the grammar issues provide much/any difficulty in *understanding* German. They just make it harder to produce grammatically correct German actively. And FWIW, I don't think I've ever had someone not understand me because of a gender/ending mistake, even if it sounded really grating to the trained ear.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4499 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 333 of 568
11 October 2013 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
tarvos wrote:
and eventually you have to use a subjunctive, which
Dutch has more or less
abolished).
And even

Technically, two "subjunctives," but this distinction is actually not a big deal. And I
don't think that the grammar issues provide much/any difficulty in *understanding*
German. They just make it harder to produce grammatically correct German actively. And
FWIW, I don't think I've ever had someone not understand me because of a gender/ending
mistake, even if it sounded really grating to the trained ear.

There are two, but I never use one of them and the other one is pretty rare in speech
(and I don't do much writin').

I agree with the rest, and I make gender mistakes all the time :P

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 334 of 568
13 October 2013 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
Tarvos - Haha, thanks. It can be challenging to truly feel confident about one's level.

Geoffw - Whoa, thanks so much for the extremely helpful and informative post.
Interesting that one of your first moves was to expose yourself to as much input as
possible whether you understood it or not. I know there's a thread about comprehensible
vs. noncomprehensible input going on right now.

How would you rate your speaking abilities in Dutch right now? I see your location says
you're in the United States, so there's probably no immediate need, but I'm still
curious as to how far your abilities there go.

I have also wondered if it'll be harder moving "away" from Dutch and English toward
German. My suspicion is that the grammar will be a substantial challenge, but there
will still be a huge vocabulary discount.

In any case, German would be a long ways off for me.

Dutch

Today I watched two episodes of De Wandeling: one with Wouter Duinisveld, this
athlete, and one titled 'Als je geen moeder mag zijn'.

This calls for a Super Challenge update:

Films: 82
Books: 8
"Books": 21

As before - okay it's obvious the books aren't gonna make it, but the films part should
be quite manageable to do by December 31. I might keep keeping track of the books for
myself next year. It'd still be cool to read 10,000 pages in Dutch.

I also got De ontdekking van de hemel in the mail a couple days ago. I was so
happy, I thought I might cry.

On page 68 of De aanslag.

Indonesian

Today I went Indonesian music searching! I figured that I'd start with Yuna, since I
already like her music style.

Best findings from today:

Yuna - Terukir Di Bintang

Yuna - Penakut

Technically these are in Malay, but, again, the languages are supposed to be like super
close. From what I can tell reading the lyrics and listening along, they're at least
pronounced very similarly.

I think it's always helpful to find music in a new language - it really gives the
language a "use" outside of Assimil dialogues and such. I totally love how the language
sounds here, so light and airy and with such beautiful round vowels.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4480 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 335 of 568
13 October 2013 at 6:05am | IP Logged 
Hekje wrote:

Geoffw - Whoa, thanks so much for the extremely helpful and informative post.
Interesting that one of your first moves was to expose yourself to as much input as
possible whether you understood it or not. I know there's a thread about comprehensible
vs. noncomprehensible input going on right now.

How would you rate your speaking abilities in Dutch right now? I see your location says
you're in the United States, so there's probably no immediate need, but I'm still
curious as to how far your abilities there go.

I must have missed that thread; sounds like something I'd be interested in.

At any rate, my written input was always at least somewhat comprehensible from the start. The fact that the audio
input was basically incomprehensible thus meant that I was unable to map the sounds I heard to the phonemes as
they would be written. Extensive listening is at least good for familiarizing yourself with the accents and sounds
generally, though I make no claims as to how effective it is timewise. The issue for me was that it was just really
easy to do, and anything you do is better than nothing.

For speaking, I've really only had maybe 2 or 3 attempts at speaking Dutch in a conversation ever. I think I'm at
least around the A1 level, and I could easily imagine saying A2ish, but I don't really know at all. It's extremely
uneven, since I'd put my reading at a confident B2, and my listening at either B1 or B2, so obviously I have very
strong familiarity with the language. I just don't have the neural pathways mapped out to take that knowledge and
deliver it to my mouth.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 336 of 568
13 October 2013 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
This is the thread I was thinking of:

Processable and non-processable materials

But yeah, okay, I see. And I agree, extensive listening can be extremely useful. I feel
like it helps the quality of my output too, sort of just getting to know what sounds right
and what doesn't.

And yeah, I'm sure that if you ever had the need or want to speak more, your active
abilities would catch up very quickly. B2 reading is already very impressive.

This discussion contains 568 messages over 71 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version