Joined 4495 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 241 of 568
29 June 2013 at 6:39am | IP Logged 
A very quick update.

Dutch

Today I have not done much other than write my grandpa and grandma a nice letter. The
ease with which the writing flowed made me feel like I'm finally at a level in Dutch
where I can express myself fairly specifically without too much mental flailing. There
are still (and will always be) tons of mistakes, but it is coming much closer to
fluency in the most literal sense of the word.

Indonesian

Today I dipped a toe into the Assimil. However, I quickly got distracted (by Dutch) and
only did about 10 minutes of the lesson instead of the full 30. So yeah. Basically I
just need to retrench and reload. I will probably start keeping a notebook, which isn't
recommended in the course but also not unheard of on this forum.

Thoughts from the Assimil lesson today:

- There is apparently no word for "to be" in Indonesian (unlike être in French
and zijn in Dutch). Instead, in the spoken language, there is a slight
pause where the be-verb would be. So "Tetangga saya (pause) tua" is "neighbor me
(pause) old", meaning, "My neighbor is old."

- Verbs are not conjugated. Neither are adjectives or nouns declined at all.

- The person speaking in the Lesson 1 recording has a super-mellifluous voice! They
make the language sound very pleasant.

I think this Indonesian experiment is going to be a lot of fun.

Edited by Hekje on 29 June 2013 at 6:46am

1 person has voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 242 of 568
01 July 2013 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
Long post ahoy ahoy.

Dutch

Okay, I haven't really done anything with Dutch except make the miniscule progress of
moving to page 47 of Kartonnen Dozen. I totally forgot up to this point that Tom
Lanoye was Belgian, which explains why my reading comprehension has precipitously
dropped. I knew there was an explanation!

@tarvos

Ah ja, prijzen. Natuurlijk. Nogmaals bedankt.

Oké, dat is heel duidelijk. In het Amerikaanse schoolsysteem lezen studenten meestal
Amerikaanse teksten (ook al kunnen we wel ook Engelse boeken lezen), misschien is het
daarom dat ik dacht dat Belgen meestal Belgische literatuur zouden lezen en
Nederlanders Nederlandse literatuur. Maar als de geschreven taal in principe dezelfde
is, dan maakt het niet uit. Wat grappig trouwens dat de Belgen een betere schoolsysteem
hebben, aangezien dat ze ook al lang geen regering hadden.

De werkwoordstijden - blijkbaar is dit dan allemaal heel toevallig, dat ik zoveel
boeken heb gelezen die dan ook geschreven in de tegenwoordige tijd zijn. Wat vreemd.

Ik herinner me nog dat ik de imparfait en passé composé ook redelijk moeilijk vond toen
ik op de middelbare school zat. Het leek toen een willekeurig besluit, hoe je de
verschillende tijden moest gebruiken. Het Nederlands is dan weer anders. Aanvankelijk
vond ik de continuous tense ook uitdagend - ik moest goed onthouden om het niét te
gebruiken. Ik probeerde altijd zinnen zoals 'Ik was aan het lopen naar...' te
gebruiken, wat naar! Vooral grappig om deze verschillende manieren van uitdrukken te
leren want je weet dat anderstaligen niet wonen in een parallel universum waarin tijd
helemaal anders wordt gezien; ze hebben maar een ander manier van regelen. Maar je moet
zoveel mental backflips doen om dat te begrijpen.

Wat betreft Assimil - ja, ik heb al dezelfde ervaring. Daar ga ik meer over schrijven,
denk ik.

Indonesian

So today I finished Assimil Lesson 1. Yay!

My initial thoughts: Indonesian is a very pleasant-sounding language. It sounds, for
lack of more technical terminology, very smooth. Lots of long, open vowels. Very
charming.

Some aspects of the language seem like a blessed relief at the moment because of how
simple they are. For example, subjects are their own pronouns and possessives.
Saya is "I" and also "me", and "mine" if placed after a noun. So kakak
saya
is simply "my older brother (or sister)", and you can do the same treatment
with house or neighbor or whatever you want (rumah saya and tetangga
saya
, respectively). As I've already written, you don't need to agree adjectives or
nouns. It's like an extreme of an analytic language.

It's actually funny too because the Indonesian example sentences will often lack gender
clues that the French translations require. The Indonesian third-person plural, for
example, is mereka, which implies no gender, while French has male or mixed-
group ils and all-female elles. So every time mereka comes up, the
French translation must specify that it could be ils ou elles and has to
painstakingly agree all the words in the sentence to match both possibilities. Times
like these are when I switch to taking notes in English, since we have also lost our
genders.

One final thought - one thing I'm actively trying right now is to just accept
Indonesian the way it is. When I started learning Dutch, I found a lot of things just
inherently humorous because they sounded like something else in English, or I would
struggle with grammar because it felt wrong and I didn't get "why" it was the way it
was. There was no intention to actively resist the language or whatever; I just didn't
realize that those kinds of attitudes were unproductive. Now I know that in language
learning, there isn't really a why. It just is. Having this open mind from the
beginning feels really good.

Edited by Hekje on 04 July 2013 at 9:22am

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 243 of 568
04 July 2013 at 9:16am | IP Logged 
Dutch

Today I had a couple nice conversations with the boyf. He's super-nice; if I just
switch to Dutch, he'll usually go along with it, no problem. I hope he knows how much I
appreciate it.

Indonesian

Okay, I have listened or read from Assimil every day since my last entry, but I didn't
actually sat down and do the entire lesson in sequence in one day until today. So now
I've finished Lesson 2. Clearly the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

More Assimil thoughts/discoveries:

- We learned about the suffix -nya today: baby's first Indonesian suffix.
Attached to the end of a noun, -nya means "of him/her". For example, anak
saya
is "my child". Anaknya is "his child" or "her child". Rad!

- Another thing revealed today: the origin of the word "orangutan". You see,
orang means "man" or mens, gens, so on. When you put the name of a
place after that, it describes nationality (e.g., orang Indonesia is "an
Indonesian", orang Jepang is "a Japanese person"). And then there's orang
hutan
- "man of the forest". Yessssss, wonderful.

Edited by Hekje on 07 July 2013 at 12:29am

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 244 of 568
07 July 2013 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
Dutch

I have watched some absurdist Dutch rap videos and read some news on AD.nl.

Indonesian

I have completed Assimil lessons 3 and 4. The course is pretty funny, I've been
enjoying it so far.

One thing that's been frustrating over these past two lessons is the trilled "r". It
actually exposes a certain weakness in my Dutch pronunciation as well. Up till now in
Dutch, I thought I was rolling my r fairly adequately. The thing is, though, that
there's always been a slight difference between how I roll the r after a consonant and
how I roll it after a vowel. When I roll the r after a vowel, it's really more of a
tap. When I roll it after a consonant, it's a true trill that I can choose to shorten
or lengthen.

Now, when I'm trying to move the rolled r to more of a trill in Indonesian, the
difference is very apparent. I can't properly trill the r at the end of 'Apa
kabar?' like you're supposed to. It seems like I have to pause, shove my tongue back up
to the roof of my mouth, and then try to force out something that is completely
disconnected to the vowel preceding.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about, I'd appreciate your feedback. I recorded myself
reading a passage in Dutch and English so you can hear the difference between my
various r's.

Dutch recording

Dutch: 'Na een paar weken had hij het gevoel dat hij al zijn hele leven op Schiphol
had doorgebracht. Zijn decennia bij de uitgeverij waren naar de achtergrond gedrukt,
hadden iets onwerkelijks gekregen. Het bijhouden van vertragingen op Schiphol, het
bekijken van de reizigers en hun bagage, het verschilde niet veel van het werken in de
tuin of van het uitgeven van boeken.'
- Tirza pagina 139

English recording

English: "After a few weeks he had the feeling that he had always lived at Schiphol.
His decades at the publisher’s were pressed to the background, had acquired something
unreal. The keeping account of the delays at Schiphol, the watching of the travelers
and their baggage, it didn’t differ that much from working in the garden or publishing
books."

Of course I've already viewed various YouTube videos and will continue to work on this,
just wondering if I could catch anyone on this log too.

Edited by Hekje on 07 July 2013 at 9:38pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4499 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 245 of 568
07 July 2013 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
I like your accent, Hekje, you pronounce Dutch like it's Afrikaans on a few occasions.
Your pronunciation is good and very understandable! Your phonemes are generally correct
(and your stress is in the correct position), there is something about the sentence
intonation that makes me put it as foreign, and one other thing is that you aspirate
stops too much (your k is very breathy like in English, the Dutch k is never breathy.
We don't aspirate stops). The r's are correct, I didn't even notice anything about them
the first time round and I had to listen a second time to figure out that they were
trilled, actually.

Given that I myself have had to learn how to trill the "r" (if you have noticed in my
recording, my R is French), I think the tap and trill in Dutch are allophonous (you can
use either). I personally wouldn't know how it works out since I only get made fun of
by my mother when I roll my r's in Dutch (says it sounds unnatural; she's probably used
to my uvular pronunciation). I think a trill indeed is a lengthened tap
"rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr". However I'm not familiar with Indonesian phonology.

Oh, and I love your English accent. Or well. American accent.

Edited by tarvos on 07 July 2013 at 10:19am

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 246 of 568
10 July 2013 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
Dutch

Tarvos - Gee, thanks! I definitely see what you're saying about the sentence cadence
and the aspirated stops. Much appreciate your pointing that out. On the whole, it's
really gratifying to hear that my accent is likable! I've also never heard anyone say
that they actually like my native accent, so thank you for that too.

I fear that posting a recording in Dutch was not the most direct way of addressing my
problems in Indonesian, buut it seems you understand me well enough. It's just
frustrating at the moment because this trill in Indonesian is the same one I use all
the time in Dutch, just usually attached to different phonemes, and suddenly I'm tying
my tongue in knots over it. Ah well. It'll work out.

In further news, progress has been made on Kartonnen Dozen. The book has
(finally!) gotten a little spicier. Basically half of it has gone by without Lanoye
doing more than coyly hinting that the reader might one day get to the actual key plot
points. To say the least, I am ready.

I also thought it might be nice to do a brief self-assessment at this time, given that
the end of June marked two full years with Dutch for me. That is wild. To think that I
was 19 when I started all this is totally nuts. Since then Dutch has enriched my life
so much (*sniff, sniff*) if only because now I can watch quality farmer dating shows
(aw yeah).

But anyway, without further ado, I'll score myself by the CEFR scale and make some
comments.

Speaking - B2. I can definitely interact with spontaneity and fluidity, but not
"without much obvious searching for expressions". There is still a lot of that.

Listening - B2+? It's not totally clear to me how one scores listening. My level
of comprehension varies depending on diction, topic, and clarity. If I'm having a one-
on-one conversation, I very rarely have a problem understanding anything. If it's
muffled voices on a reality show using a lot of slang to talk about cow feeding, I'll
only get the general idea.

Writing - B2+. I can definitely write clear, detailed texts now, but not about
the kind of complex subjects that C1 would demand.

Reading - C1. Longer and/or more demanding texts are quite accessible to me now,
which is very gratifying.

So overall I would score myself a high B2. Reading back through my log, I realize it
has taken me over a year (from May 2012 to July 2013) to go from just below B1 to a
B2+. Man oh man. Back when I first started learning Dutch, I would have thought that
timeframe was preposterous. Now it seems quite reasonable.

Anyway, I am excited to continue with Dutch. The language and culture prove more and
more rewarding over time.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4499 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 247 of 568
10 July 2013 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
I think that if you took on a new language, you'd go even quicker next time. You've also
learned "how to deal with a foreign language". So I'm sure you'll do fine with
Indonesian, especially because the grammar is less important.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 248 of 568
11 July 2013 at 8:03am | IP Logged 
Tarvos - That's the hope. :-)

Dutch

Today I watched Turks Fruit with the boyf. It's a 1973 movie by Paul Verhoeven
that won Best Dutch Film of the Century in 1999. Not the greatest I've seen recently,
but pretty good, and sort of interesting in itself as a charmingly dated cultural
document. Bonus: Rutger Hauer looks like He-Man.

Oh, and I should probably update on the Super Challenge. It stands now at:

Films/TV episodes: 70/100
Books: 3
"Books": 11

Indonesian

For the past week I have been doing either Dutch or Indonesian every day, but not both.
Still need to figure out a balance.

This discussion contains 568 messages over 71 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version