568 messages over 71 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 43 ... 70 71 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4499 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 337 of 568
14 October 2013 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
For me it feels like a joke though. I could probably pick up a book in Spanish and
start reading it fast, but I would never claim I spoke it because I really cannot utter
a single correct thing considering even basic grammar points in Spanish because I've
never studied it. The problem is if you know German, then you have to wean yourself off
of using that language as a crutch because yes you WILL get a huge bonus, but it's not
the same and sometimes it can lead you astray. You must approach it as a separate
language. But in reading comprehension this matters less because you are only
interpreting words, not producing them, and in this light Dutch is quite transparent
for German speakers (that is if they have an idea of some of the orthographical
differences between the two languages).

The phonological realisation of either is quite another ballgame, and Germans find it
impossible not to turn sch into /sh/, which is emphatically WRONG. /sh/ only exists as
/sj/ and is rare even in that instance. Sch is either s+ch, or sometimes s in the -isch
ending (and in a few place names like Den Bosch, pronounced Den Bos but because of the
old spelling of the city it's not written that way).

And the English who mimic Dutch accents by replacing /s/ with /sh/ are misinformed -
our s is an s, it's just not formed exactly the same way as in English (to me English
/s/ sounds like a snake hissing, it's much sharper).

Also, using German -ch variation (ach/ich-Laut) is not acceptable in Dutch. You must
use either ach-laut (or make it even stronger), which is Dutch as spoken above the
rivers, or use ich-laut (as below the rivers). Except Zealand and West Flanders,
because there it's an h.

Edited by tarvos on 14 October 2013 at 2:29pm

1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4480 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 338 of 568
14 October 2013 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
For me it feels like a joke though. I could probably pick up a book in Spanish and
start reading it fast, but I would never claim I spoke it because I really cannot utter
a single correct thing considering even basic grammar points in Spanish because I've
never studied it.
But in reading comprehension this matters less because you are only
interpreting words, not producing them

I agree, after learning to read two romance languages, decoding text written in a third is often fairly trivial, or at worst has a very short learning curve. If you keep reading large amounts, you will eventually internalize a lot of the grammar and learn the vocabulary from frequent exposure, but the ability to understand what you're reading comes LONG before that point. Not too long ago when I finally started looking at the first few lessons of Assimil Dutch, my reaction was:

1) Wow this is really trivial. Followed by:
2) Hey, I never realized that's how that bit of grammar works! How did I not know that?

"Interpreting" is a good word for it. The process involves recognizing that an unknown word/phrase has a lexical similarity to a known word/phrase that is sufficiently small, and that adheres to certain known mutation patterns, so that you can guess reliably what the meaning is. To use mathematics terminology, the brain provides a transformation function that maps from a large domain of inputs to a small range of meanings, and ideally, to just one. But when you go to invert the function (i.e., take a meaning and determine what input would have produced that meaning, also known as speaking/writing), you start with one meaning but have only a range of possible answers, not a precise one. With more and more practice, the function can be optimized to reduce the input range associated with a particular interpreted meaning, but the window doesn't close entirely on its own.

OTOH, while not being the same as "speaking" a language, being able to read it is, while simpler, still something that most would-be adult language learners never achieve. Most of the people I know have studied at most one foreign language, and can read it at best at the A1 level--A2 or B1 for the very best students. Usually when I hear that someone has studied German, e.g., I say something like "also, du sprichst Deutsch?" and get blank stares. I assume this is very different from the situation in the Netherlands, especially for English?

It seems strange, but true, that even though we might not have actually studied Spanish, we probably can read it as well as the great majority of US high schoolers studying it as a foreign language.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4499 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 339 of 568
14 October 2013 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
I think production is also a matter of automatism. I speak good French for example
because 9/10 times I can parse a response and tackle it automatically with a
grammatically correct utterance. Understanding only requires you to parse, it does not
require you to produce. Producing in real-time is a different ball-game. This is why I
do a lot of speaking on the side (and also writing but that is more text messaging and
chatting than formal writing, which has its own rules). I need this to actually be able
to produce an utterance that makes sense in context and you can't do that without
practice. Input provides your arsenal but you can't shoot bullets if you don't have a
gun to load. The moment where I know I speak well is when I can automatically parse in
real-time what someone says and respond quickly, automatically, where I do not have to
think long before I utter something. This is something you do in-situ. Not reading.

Quote:
OTOH, while not being the same as "speaking" a language, being able to read it
is, while simpler, still something that most would-be adult language learners never
achieve. Most of the people I know have studied at most one foreign language, and can
read it at best at the A1 level--A2 or B1 for the very best students. Usually when I
hear that someone has studied German, e.g., I say something like "also, du sprichst
Deutsch?" and get blank stares. I assume this is very different from the situation in
the Netherlands, especially for English?

The latter is a question that you wouldn't ask. It is pretty much an assumption that
you would only negate for old people, the mentally handicapped, young children, and
other people with some learning disability or other. I know very few Dutch people who
could not parse a "Do you speak English". This is not to say that their production is
good - but do you speak English is something any Dutch person should be able to parse.
I think even in the lowest levels of education the level you get is between A2-B1 in
production - not very good, but definitely some kind of functionality. People that have
the ability to go to university sit central exams that are minimum B2 (and many go over
that level because of other reasons. University students speaking C1 English is not a
rarity, and for MSc students it is a requirement because in 99% of cases your thesis is
going to be in English. Yes. You read that right. Dutch university students MUST BE
ABLE TO PRODUCE WRITTEN English THESES and DEFEND THESE IN English). University
students without academically functional English just do not exist anymore in this day
and age. They may prefer Dutch but the ones who are really bad would still be a B1-B2.
Speaking English is de rigueur among journalists as well, especially those deployed
abroad. They may write in Dutch, but they may need to interview foreigners which do not
master Dutch - and English is almost always the language of choice, although I do know
occasions of famous Dutch journalists who mastered another foreign language (there is a
known one who speaks fluent Russian and learned Hindi for a documentary in India, and
another famous columnist who spent time in Moscow and still has some Russian).

(In fact, I read an article about high school students - not preparing for university -
in an article about a recent discovery of a pedophile and the related discussion of
nude pictures and webcams. The irony was that there was a described situation where two
girls invited a Turkish boy to a group chat, and they laughed so hard because his
English was so bad and ungrammatical).

With regards to other languages, the question is more pertinent. Most science students
hate the strong emphasis on foreign languages (both German and French being compulsory
for some years in high school). Most people do come out with some tourist-level German
and French, and those who go into languages or cultural spheres often need German as an
academic language. So they will be able to read it, though their level of production is
anyone's guess. German itself is also location-dependent; people close to the border
will have a good understanding of German). However someone who studied an exotic
language will probably have put in the effort and then the question you could ask in
that language will probably result in an accented "yes".

2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4480 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 340 of 568
14 October 2013 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
University students speaking C1 English is not a
rarity, and for MSc students it is a requirement because in 99% of cases your thesis is
going to be in English. Yes. You read that right. Dutch university students MUST BE
ABLE TO PRODUCE WRITTEN English THESES and DEFEND THESE IN English). University
students without academically functional English just do not exist anymore in this day
and age.

Thanks for the enlightening description of the language situation there. BTW, while it seems a bit odd to have to do your university work in a different language than the local vernacular, it wasn't THAT long ago they all would have been doing their university studies in Latin!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4499 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 341 of 568
14 October 2013 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
Bachelor theses can be done in either language. It depends on the programme and
preference (I wrote mine in English). I have also written some internship reports in
Dutch (it matters what the project is). The MSc Thesis is practically always in English
unless you study Dutch I think. Even then I'm not sure.

To give you an example of how a Dutchman can rack up a few languages without having
particular education - I have a cousin who grew up near the German border. He speaks
German. He also speaks English (because it's the Netherlands and he wasn't born under a
rock). He is/was a diving instructor in Mallorca, Spain and has lived there and thus he
speaks Spanish. I have no idea whether he is perfect at any of them (prolly not), but
he has a good command of all of those languages and would be able to use them in the
majority of situations with efficacy. He's not university-trained or an academic.

It goes that fast and this sort of situation is not unheard of.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 342 of 568
15 October 2013 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
I like the discussion going on above me. :-)

Dutch

I am on page 128 of De aanslag - halfway through.

Indonesian

The past few days have been productive.

Furthest back - I Google Translated some Yuna lyrics from Indonesian into English, then went back and
translated myself word-by-word with a dictionary to see how the two versions compared.

This is the original text of the first stanza:

Jika engkau minta intan permata
Tak mungkin ku mampu
Tapi sayankan ku capai bintang
Dari langit untukmu

...And Google Translate came up with this:

If you ask diamonds
I may not be able
But my pity star laurels
From the sky for you

So not bad, except for the third line, which is clearly wrong. I then translated word-for-word:

(if)(you)(to ask)(diamond)(jewels)
(not)(could, may)(my)(afford, to be capable of)
(but)(love)(my)(to achieve)(star)
(where)(sky)(for you)

...leading us to a final approximate translation of:

If you ask for diamonds
I may not be able to afford that
But my love might be able to get a star
From the sky for you

???

So that was fun as a nice change of pace. I guess what strikes me is that there are a lot of little words (for, to,
etc.) that Indonesian implies, but English requires. That is something I will have to get used to.

Then yesterday I did some wordlists and learned about Indonesian possessive pronouns.

What I already knew was that Indonesian can express the possessive simply by putting the subject/object
pronoun (they're the same) after the noun, e.g., buku saya = "book I/me" = my book.

What I learned yesterday was another way to express possession in Indonesian by using informal possessive
stems. Saya (I) is -ku, kamu (you) is -mu, dia (he/she/it) is -nya, and the rest remain the same across all forms
(e.g., kami (we) is kami, and so on).

Thus, we could say Buku ini punyaku, which is, translated literally, (Book)(this)(to have mine),
or, not literally, "This is my book." Or Buku ini punyamu - (Book)(this)(to have yours (singular) )
- "This is your book."

To say simply "This is mine", we just say Ini punyaku. Pretty cool!

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 343 of 568
16 October 2013 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
Dutch

On page 168 of De aanslag.

Indonesian

Yesterday I did some wordlists and left it at that.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 344 of 568
17 October 2013 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
Dutch

I am on page 172 of De aanslag.

Also, while writing that sentence, it just suddenly hit me that "de aanslag" is an anagram for "aan de slag", which
is uh, something. Funny!

Indonesian

So yesterday I went over basic greetings in the Wikibooks Indonesian resource. I then did some wordlists review,
went over "this" and "that" (ini and itu), and reviewed negation (bukan and tidak).

Also learned how to say "What is this?": Apa ini?

So yeah, I've just been reviewing some super-basic things, but I haven't been regularly studying for like two
months so I definitely need it.

Oh man, Indonesian is so cool. I really like how comparatively simple it is. The language just seems so
uncluttered! Now, I know I've only really dipped a toe in, but this is my perception at the moment.

The downside (although it's not really a huge downside) is that, again, cognates are few and far between. When
learning Dutch, I feel like I'm constantly stumbling across connections between Dutch and English - everyday
Dutch words, for example, that are variations of in-use but somewhat archaic English words (and vice-versa). Or
straight-up cognates. Like, Look people, green is groen! It's the same exact thing!

This is not a thing in Indonesian, meaning that I need to employ a lot more mnemonics. I also don't know
Indonesian's basic building block words well enough right now to understand how more complex terminology
gets built up, so at the moment larger words seem very mysterious.

But that is part of the magic of language learning. I look forward to the day when I can read and speak
Indonesian as easily as I can Dutch.

This discussion contains 568 messages over 71 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version