United States
Joined 4495 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 441 of 568
04 January 2014 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
Dutch

So here's that video of me speaking Dutch for the January TAC challenge. As my brother
would say: be honest, but not too honest, posting something like this makes me hella
nervous. :-)

Video

Here's a transcript:

Hekje wrote:
Okee, hoi, ik ben Hekje, ik ben tweeëntwintig jaar, en ik uh, ik kom uit
Maryland maar ik woon nu in New York. Ik ben net afgestudeerd, en ik, ik ben grafisch
ontwerper. Ik heb eigenlijk een hekel aan videoclips maken. Ik vind het altijd
vreselijk. Een vreselijke ervaring. Mijn stem klinkt raar, en ik weet niet wat ik moet
zeggen, maar hier ben ik. En, ja. Ik begon twee jaar geleden met het Nederlands, als
uitwisselingstudent in Utrecht. Ik zat op de HKU (Hogeschool voor de Kunsten Utrecht).
Ik volgde de vak Illustratie, en toen dacht ik van, ja, het is alleen maar beleefd om
de taal te leren, maar, uh, later dacht ik van, Ja, ik ga maar door. En, dat is mijn
huisgenoot, ik zit eigenlijk niet in mijn eigen kamer, maar in de kamer van mijn
huisgenoot. Hi! [onverstaanbaar] ...hou van heel veel Nederlandse schrijvers, Tom
Lanoye, Arnon Grunberg, Herman Brusselmans, Harry Mulisch, vooral. En ook verschillende
Nederlandse popmuzikanten, uh, vreselijke popmuzikanten zoals Mike en Colin, Nick en
Simon, ook Spinvis, Blof, De Jeugd van Tegenwoordig, The Opposites. Dus, ja, als je van
die muzikanten houdt, kunnen we een leuk gesprek hebben. En vooral ben ik echt blij dat
we dit jaar samen op een team - in een team kunnen zitten, en ik hoop dat we samen heel
veel vooruitgang zullen maken, en ja, ik wens iedereen een gelukkig Nieuwjaar! Doei!

Aaand an English translation:

Hekje wrote:
Okay, hi, I'm Hekje, I'm 22 and I uh, I'm from Maryland but now I live in
New York. I just graduated and I, I'm a graphic designer. I actually hate making
videos. It's always terrible. My voice sounds weird, and I don't know what I should
say, but here I am. And, yeah. I started Dutch two years ago, as an exchange student in
Utrecht. I was attending HKU (Utrecht School of the Arts). I was in the Illustration
program, and then, I thought, yeah, it's just polite to learn the language, but uh,
then I thought, yeah, I'll just continue. And that's my housemate, I'm actually not in
my own room, but in my housemate's room. Hi! (unintelligble) ...love a lot of Dutch
writers, Tom Lanoye, Arnon Grunberg, Herman Brusselmans, Harry Mulisch, especially. And
also different Dutch pop musicians, uh, terrible pop musicians like Mike and Colin,
Nick and Simon, also Spinvis, Blof, De Jeugd van Tegenwoordig, The Opposites. So, yeah,
if you love those musicians, we can have a nice conversation. I'm especially glad that
this year we can be together in a team - on a team, and I hope that we will make lots
of progress together. And yeah, I wish everyone a happy New Year! Bye!

Edited by Hekje on 04 January 2014 at 4:26am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 4021 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 442 of 568
04 January 2014 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
Hi Hekje, Just went through your log and love it! And your Dutch is really great, from what I see! If my level was like yours, I would already be happy and satisfied :-))

Wish you that you can achieve your targets for 2014! Let's have a great time at Team Oranje this year!

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4499 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 443 of 568
04 January 2014 at 11:29am | IP Logged 
One or two minor mistakes (more things that are about idiom than grammar), and I can
tell you're anglophone from the video, but that's all. From the viewpoint of the
lexicon and such I have no complaints, really. In fact it's clear that you are speaking
Dutch and you are 99% getting the point across. You can walk and run.

At this point you should probably not focus so much on grammar, you know it well. The
biggest stumbling block I can see for you is that people zoom in on your "coda r" (r at
the end of a syllable) because it's very American. In Dutch, you do have an "English r"
at the end of a syllable, but we don't colour the sentence with it like in American
English, it works more like in Swedish or British English where you hear the r but it
sort of disappears. Other than that, you aspirate your "t" quite strongly. T is never
aspirated in Dutch. You have to pronounce all stops without puffs of air. In Dutch,
everything is supposed to sound egalitarian :D

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 445 of 568
06 January 2014 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
Suzie - I'm very glad you enjoy the log! Thanks for your kind words. I'm sure that with your mastery of German and
English, your level of Dutch will quickly become even better than it is now. Yay Team Oranje! :-D

Tarvos - Thanks very much for your analysis. I definitely see what you mean about the "coda r" and the aspirated "t".
I'm going to make a conscious effort to not drag those out from now on.

As a side note, it's interesting to me to see how the feedback you leave here has changed over time. In a way, it's
encouraging that your current feedback is about polishing pronunciation, since I remember struggling in this log
with much more fundamental things before. /musings

DamedesLangues - Thanks for your recommendation! I just made an account and took a placement test. Seems fun.
:-)

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 447 of 568
06 January 2014 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
Yes, that's me.

NMW
Netherlands
Joined 4279 days ago

36 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 448 of 568
07 January 2014 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
Ik vind je Nederlands accent mooi! Ik denk dat ik nooit zo dapper zou zijn om een video te maken :P

This discussion contains 568 messages over 71 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version