Diglot
Australia
Joined 5358 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 289 of 568
14 September 2013 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
Dan als dat een Amerikaanse uitdrukking is heb ik het nooit gehoord. Wij zeggen hier in Australiƫ alleen maar to
recommend something to someone in a heartbeat, omdat die iets ongelooflijk goed is.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 290 of 568
15 September 2013 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Just to clarify - what I originally wrote was "iedereen met een pols", trying to say I'd recommend it to anyone
with a pulse, i.e., everyone. Then I edited the post after Tarvos corrected me. That might be the source of
some confusion. :-)

Dutch

Today I'm really just writing to say I had my first full-length Dutch-language dream conversation! I've already
had at least one dream where I was trying to speak Dutch, but this was way more involved.

In my dream, I was in Times Square minding my own business when I noticed a couple of tourists having
difficulty checking into their hotel. The security guard was being really rude. I heard the tourists speaking
Dutch to each other, so when they came over and asked me the time, I responded in Dutch. I then helped
them check into the hotel in Dutch (though privately fearing the entire time that my accent sounded too
farmer-y) and we all had a good time trash-talking the mean security guard dude. (Not the most generous
dream but this log will be honest.)

What this probably was, was a reflection of the fact that I've been speaking a lot of Dutch lately. We still do
not have internet at the apartment and so, when I've needed to Skype, I've been going to cafes and such to
do it. I hate people overhearing my conversations so I've been speaking in Dutch. Happily, this confirms that
my spoken level is still more than serviceable, even if I do not have a lot of other opportunities to speak in
everyday life.

Indonesian

Depending on how things go this week, I may or may not return soon to this beautiful language. Hopefully
will.

Edited by Hekje on 17 September 2013 at 7:05pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4499 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 291 of 568
15 September 2013 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
I actually think there's no good way to translate your saying, and the hartslag
("heartbeat") is confusing, but polsslag also sounds weird. Let's just say it's a stilted
phrase. Maybe a paraphrase is better.

But I get the idea :)

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 292 of 568
16 September 2013 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
I actually think there's no good way to translate your saying, and the hartslag
("heartbeat") is confusing, but polsslag also sounds weird. Let's just say it's a stilted
phrase. Maybe a paraphrase is better.

But I get the idea :)
Yeah I accept that it's just not a Dutch saying. Oh well. :)

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 293 of 568
19 September 2013 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
Dutch

I have managed to get into more of a routine about reading on the subway and am now on page 105 of
archibald strohalm. I'm finally starting to pass where I stopped last time - and am also remembering why I
stopped, because the narrative is becoming more and more internalized and strange.

Not that this is bad - it's pretty much how I like my books.

Indonesian

Okay, so the thing I mentioned earlier this week went alright. I still really won't feel good about restarting until at
least October 1.

The 6-Week Challenge also bears mentioning at some point. Which might as well be now! Yeah, basically what
the 6WC highlighted was that I spend way more time on Dutch than I do Indonesian (I mean obviously now,
yes, but even at the beginning of the challenge).

This has, again, little to do with my level of interest in the language, and much to do with that fact that I am in a
state of limbo regarding a project I would like to complete in Indonesia. With Dutch, too, I submitted my
application in April for a fall exchange study and did not start studying the language until June, when I knew I
had been accepted. I guess I just don't really feel motivated to study a language unless I can look forward to
some opportunity to really use it. And I don't mean LiveMocha.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4499 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 294 of 568
20 September 2013 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
Oh, you'll be doing real immersion in Dutch?

Veel succes!

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 295 of 568
20 September 2013 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Oh no, my post was referring to when I started studying Dutch in 2011. I'm not going to the Netherlands this year.

If this specific project goes through though it will involve full immersion in Indonesian in 2014-2015.

Thanks for the well-wishes man.

Edited by Hekje on 20 September 2013 at 5:08pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4499 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 296 of 568
20 September 2013 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
Aaaaaaah I was a little bit confused as to the timeline there.

This discussion contains 568 messages over 71 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version