Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s tac log 2015 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
292 messages over 37 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 ... 36 37 Next >>
Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4371 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 161 of 292
01 May 2015 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
I did register with Croatian in the end. I think I need to feel like I'm making progress
with Croatian again before I can justify dedicating time to another language. Logging
things on a Twitter bot always makes me happy :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4371 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 162 of 292
05 May 2015 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
I've been away in France for the weekend, which was fun :) I never try to speak French because I'm appalling at it, despite many years of allegedly learning, but it was nice to be reminded that I can understand a bit when it is written down at least. Croatian is a lot easier to pronounce than French, but it's a lot easier to guess the meaning of words in French with limited knowledge :D

I had a fair bit of time that I could spend reading in airports and so on the way home yesterday evening I managed to finish reading the John Gresham book "The Racketeer" in Serbian. A lot of the reviews I have seen for it on Goodreads say it is really bad but I actually found it quite exciting and didn't see where the plot was going at all. I need to transfer some of my newly acquired Croatian/Serbian e-books to my Kindle now for reading on my commute this week.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Meddysong
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 3395 days ago

56 posts - 84 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, French
Studies: Italian, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 163 of 292
05 May 2015 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
Radioclare wrote:
I never try to speak French because I'm appalling at it, despite many years of allegedly learning, but it was nice to be reminded that I can understand a bit when it is written down at least.

You were reading it quicker than I was, and I'm supposedly the expert! ;)

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4371 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 164 of 292
08 May 2015 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
I've been doing my best this week, but the demands of work mean I still haven't done as
well as I would have hoped.

I've managed to watch one episode of 'Budva na pjenu od mora', which I really enjoyed.
There was a cliffhanger ending, so definitely want to watch another episode this weekend.

When I logged into Memrise after a long absence last week, I was horrified to see that I
had 1958 words requiring watering. Oops. I've had a few Memrise sessions this week and
got that down to 1458. Perhaps I'll achieve Memrise-zero by the end of the 6WC :D

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4371 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 165 of 292
11 May 2015 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
This weekend was my first weekend at home for a month, so I was hoping to get lots done. Then I ended up spending eight hours yesterday planning my holiday to Italy/Switzerland at the end of the month instead, so the language-related things I achieved were actually quite limited.

I watched one more episode of 'Budva na pjenu od mora'. My comprehension of this is quite high now, but I was really confused in this episode by a scene in a pharmacy where it sounded like one of the more elderly characters had come in to buy something called "farin". After a lot of googling, I think perhaps it was warfarin!

Memrise-zero is still a long way off but I did fit in several Memrise sessions over the course of the weekend, with the result that I've got my unreviewed down to 1091. Still sounds pretty bad, but moving in the right direction :)

Don't mention the Output Challenge to me. I think I'm officially giving up on the speaking part. I still really want to do the writing part, but failing.

I'm going to spend some time refreshing my German over the next couple of weeks, in case I get chance to use it in Italy and Switzerland. I can read in German almost as easily as in English, but I so rarely use it actively these days that I feel like every German word I know is buried very deep down in my brain and takes some effort to retrieve. I got a German grammar book for Valentines Day, so am aiming to read that from cover to cover as a refresher over the next three weeks.

My sister bought me a Wallander DVD for Christmas and I watched the first episode (Swedish with English subtitles) last night. I couldn't understand a word of it, but Swedish sounds very melodic :)

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4371 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 166 of 292
13 May 2015 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
Work doesn't get any better - welcome to another week of little progress!

I've started reading Dan Brown's 'Izgubjeni Simbol' (The Lost Symbol) on my Kindle. It
was one of the books I got in the bundle of pdfs I bought and I pretty much chose it at
random. I haven't read anything by Dan Brown before (though I think I've seen the film of
the Da Vinci Code) so not sure whether it's going to be any good. It seems long anyway -
over 500 pages.

I have been battling through my Memrise reviews and I now have only(!) 330 words left to
review in Croatian. There are some I need to refresh in Macedonian as well, but I'm
ignoring those for now!
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6944 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 167 of 292
13 May 2015 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
When I was gathering some links to comic strips for Cavesa, I dug up one to Politikin Zabavnik and thought of you. The site has a few years' worth of back issues and if nothing more you may find the comic strip in BCMS/SC for Hägar the Horrible to be an amusing diversion from whatever you have on for the SC.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4371 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 168 of 292
17 May 2015 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Chung, that looks really cool :) And I can always use some Cyrillic reading
practice!

I managed to catch a cold just in time for the weekend, so spent most of yesterday
sniffling in bed. The upside of this was that I had an excuse to catch up on watching
'Budva' and I watched 3 episodes, which takes me up to 115.9 films for the SC.

The storyline is still really exciting :) There was some more Russian spoken in two of
yesterday's episode, thankfully with Montenegrin subtitles. One of the characters went
back to his home near Lake Skadar so there were some nice scenic shots, although given
how heavily the plot features mafia, drug barons, corrupt police and shady business
deals with Russians, I'm not convinced how many favours this series is doing the
Montenegrin tourist industry :D

I'm enjoying reading 'Izgubljeni Simbol' and am nearly 100 pages into it now, thanks
to a couple of trips to London ths week where I couldn't be bothered to work on the
train and read instead. I have learned quite a few new words:

nauka - science (I had previously learnt 'znanost' as science, not sure if the two
words are interchangeable or if there is some subtle difference of meaning I'm not
aware of yet)

lubanja - skull (I originally misread this word as 'lubenica' (water melon) until it
got to a stage where this made the plot far too surreal!)

drevan - ancient (not to be confused with 'drven' (wooden))

noetika - noetics (one of those instances where I looked up a word and realised I
didn't know what it meant in English either!)

I'm currently on 220.2 books for the Super Challenge. Looking at my Goodreads profile,
I've read 20 books in total in 2015 so far, of which 5 have been in Croatian, 3 in
German and the remaining 12 in English.

I was actually reading an American book yesterday and had to look up several words,
including "condominium" (it has nothing to do with condoms!!). One character kept
referring to something she called "tenny-bops" (I think they are a kind of shoe, but
even Wikipedia is failing me on defining what sort!).

I am reluctantly giving up with reading a novel in Cyrillic because the one I have
(which I bought at random) is just far too difficult to me. It's not the alphabet; the
language is just so difficult that when I try to read it I feel like I'm trying to
read a book in a Slavic language I haven't learned yet. For context, here is the first
sentence (see how long it is and how little sense it makes!!)

Quote:
Драги и веома поштовани,

Крепи нас надежда да ће, некад и негде, под прозорима цењене Редакције Алманаха
Земљомерцке оба цвета Високе колегије, поштански рог затулити, унаточ непотпуности,
боље рећи: изостављања атресе, и најавити приспеће управ ове, набрекле куверте са
нашом, за печатњу приправљеном радњом, то јест: руковетима спремљених нотата, на
основу зимњих прича и писаног градива из Старог ваљевског катастра, уз прибирак личних
домишљаја о колубарској кампањи земљомерца К. и о његовом фабулозном ишчезнућу приде,
а и о другом - што ће се, течајем ове пропратнице, редом помињати.

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version