Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s tac log 2015 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
292 messages over 37 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23 ... 36 37 Next >>
nikolic993
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3568 days ago

106 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English
Studies: Italian, Mandarin, Romanian, Persian

Message 177 of 292
23 May 2015 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I've noticed oću too, but it seemed only an occasional thing to me. I think often there's a weak h, or maybe I was just imagining it because it's supposed to be there.
any examples for š btw?

You were imagining it. The "h" sound gets dropped quite often in informal speech, both in Serbia and Montenegro. :)

hleb->'leb;   hoćeš?->'oćeš->'ć eš?->'oš?; hvala->'fala;

An example for "š" in the Montenegrin accent: sutra,sjutra->šjutra

Edited by nikolic993 on 24 May 2015 at 4:05am

1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4371 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 178 of 292
23 May 2015 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
Yes! They say "šjutra" all the time on 'Budva'!

The other one which crops up a lot is "šjedi".

I think I read somewhere that the Montenegrin government has tried to add a new letter to the alphabet to represent
this "šj" sound, but I can't find the link now. I think it was controversial because it isn't necessarily pronounced
like that in all parts of Montenegro.

They also pronounce "kćer" in a funny way. I linked to
this article before;
it's basically a Croatian website reviewing 'Budva' and commenting on how amusing the pronunciation sounds for
Croatian viewers. They draw particular attention to the pronunciation of "kćer".

Quote:
Već sam sada na internetu naišla na gomile forumskih komentara u kojima ljudi umiru od smijeha na u prve dvije
epizode nekoliko puta ponovljenu rečenicu 'Ona je šćer Sava Bašića!' premda sumnjam da su scenaristi time htjeli
postići bilo kakav urnebesno smiješan učinak.

:)

Edited by Radioclare on 23 May 2015 at 11:30pm

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4371 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 179 of 292
26 May 2015 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Got back from Sweden in the early hours of the morning and have been exhausted at work
all day, but it was totally worth it :) Sweden is absolutely beautiful, and not as
expensive as I expected (Okay, so I was expecting it to be hideously expensive and it
turned out to be moderately expensive, but seemingly cheaper than Norway and
Finland!). I would definitely go again :)

Swedish seems like an interesting language and sometimes I could guess words when they
were written down, but I couldn't understand anything at all when it was spoken. I
don't think it is a language I could ever learn to speak; it sounds far too melodic
and musical for me. I was fascinated though when looking at a pizza menu to see that
one of the most common ingredients on the pizzas was "lök". I immediately assumed that
that must be onion, because it looks so similar to Croatian "luk", but then I told
myself that couldn't possible be right, because why would there be any similarity
between the Swedish and Croatian words for "onion"?! But when we looked it up in the
dictionary it turns out it does mean onion, so now I am intrigued :)

I watched the Eurovision in Swedish and was happy to see the Montenegrin entry singing
in Montenegrin. I missed having the UK commentary though; I got the impression that
the Swedish commentators were taking everything very seriously. Though it was cool to
be in Sweden when Sweden actually won :)

I read two books in English while I was away, so didn't read in Croatian at all, but
on the way home yesterday I starting reading a German novel called 'Die Zeit, die
Zeit' by Martin Suter. I was going to say that Martin Suter is one of my favourite
authors in German, but I think he is actually one of my favourite authors, full stop
:)

3 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5024 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 180 of 292
27 May 2015 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Trust me... Graham Norton wasn't taking it all that seriously. Personally I was rooting for the Italians.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 181 of 292
27 May 2015 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
Wow, I'm surprised about lök as well. It's also similar in Belarusian/Ukrainian and Portuguese but that's because it's a loan from Latin :D

also "s Lukom" is always so funny to me ;D
although aaaaaaaaargh now i typed it in google and this was one of the first things i saw http://www.24sata.hr/nogomet/kovac-pricao-sam-s-lukom-moramo -bez-njega-na-italiju-420846 :(

edit: this one made me giggle though http://www.vecernji.hr/moje-zdravlje/biste-li-spavali-s-luko m-u-carapi-nakon-ovoga-cete-pozeljeti-1000000 fascinating too

Edited by Serpent on 27 May 2015 at 6:11am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 182 of 292
27 May 2015 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
In Portuguese? How so? 'Cebola' doesn't sound like lök at all to me.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 183 of 292
27 May 2015 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
it's similar to цыбуля/цибуля :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4371 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 184 of 292
28 May 2015 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
In Esperanto it's "cepo", so not too dissimilar to the Portuguese/Belarusian/Ukrainian :)

Serpent, I am now giving serious consideration to sleeping with an onion in my socks to
see if it will cure all my allergies :D

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version