Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s tac log 2015 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
292 messages over 37 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29 ... 36 37 Next >>
basica
Australia
Joined 3324 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 225 of 292
23 June 2015 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
I'll give you a quick rundown :)

Firstly, yeah there are some errors and (to my slight annoyance) everything is in the feminine perspective to
the point where I sometimes say things the feminine way out of habit (imala sam instead of imao sam for
example) :P The first 1000 sentences seem to have about 5-6 errors that I've picked up on which isn't too bad
I suppose, but obviously none would be better :D

You have 2 groups of files - GMS and GSR. In each folder you have 3 "fluency modules" for a total of 3000
sentences. As you may have noticed though, a good chunk double up. Anyways, in the GSR format you
basically get introduced 10 new sentences a day, while getting rid of the 10 oldest ones in a somewhat
spaced repetition type system. By the time you finished all the fluency modules you'd have had many
thousands of repetitions. Each time the sentence is read out in English and then in Serbian. The GSR files are
sorta intended to be listened to at the rate of 1 a day. This approach means you'd take about a year to go
through them.

The GMS files contain the same 3000 sentences in 3 different formats - ABC. Regardless of the format each
file contains 50 sentences and thus each fluency module contains 20 files. Unlike in GSR the sentences are
not read out multiple times, they are read out just once before moving onto the next sentence - so you'll
notice they're much shorter.

The difference between the ABC files are this: The C files contain only Serbian, the B files contain English first,
then Serbian with a long pause for you to be able to repeat the sentence in the space and then the A files have
English first, followed by Serbian repeated twice. To be honest, they could really do with improving their
explanation for how all this works :)

Assuming you go with the GMS method, the idea behind it is rather intense - how much of it you want to
follow is up to you but the general idea is you listen to the sentence, right down what you hear, compare it and
correct it. Listen again - repeat what they say and record yourself doing it - listen to your recording and
compare to the audio given and basically work your way through till the end. This was a bit too intensive for
my tastes, hence I took the GSR approach :)

Glad to hear your Memrise course is being put to good use; must be a good feeling knowing others are using
it :) Also, I don't blame you giving up on the hobbit, I also got a hold of it a while ago and I gave up pretty
quickly. For some reason I thought it would be an easy read. How foolish of me :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4371 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 226 of 292
24 June 2015 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
basica wrote:
I'll give you a quick rundown :)...

Thank you Basica, that was sooooo useful :) But I notice that the one important fact you left out was how
annoying the man is who says "Brought to you by Glossika!" at the end of each recording. Oh my goodness, I
already want to murder him

I was surprised to see that all the audio was from a female perspective as well. I was kind of expecting it to
switch to a male voice partway through for a bit of variety, but seemingly it doesn't. Not a problem for me
obviously, but does seem a bit unusual.

I haven't quite decided which approach I'm going to take yet but I can't see myself recording myself and
comparing it to the tape; life is definitely too short. I just want to get in the habit of doing something on it
every day really, because I haven't managed to get into a habit of studying regularly this year at all.

This evening I carried on trying to listen to the sentences all the way through and got to about 500. I feel like
I've already benefited actually as I learned that I would have been stressing the wrong syllable of 'muzika' and
'Kanada' if I'd said them aloud, which I don't think I ever have. I can see that if I do succeed in going through
the sentences systematically I ought to have a much better understanding of the stress patterns; I'm extremely
bad at hearing whether a vowel is rising or falling, never mind trying to imitate that myself, but with this
volume of repetition I think even I can make some headway :D

Quote:
Also, I don't blame you giving up on the hobbit, I also got a hold of it a while ago and I gave up pretty
quickly. For some reason I thought it would be an easy read. How foolish of me :)

Yes, I thought the same, but it's not easy at all!! I always thought of it as a book for children but the
vocabulary seems pretty difficult to me.
1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4371 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 227 of 292
24 June 2015 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
I listened to 45 minutes of the 'Dolina Straha' audiobook on the train to work this morning and felt very virtuous. I suffered from the same problem I
always do when I listen to an audiobook on public transport though - which is part of the reason why I hardly every do it - in that the train and
station are so noisy that I have to play it on the highest possible volume in order to stand a chance of hearing it, and even then I miss huge chunks
if there's an announcement or something.

I've also been watching some of the DW Hrvatski videos of the day, which are quite cool because they only last about five minutes (although sadly they
don't count toward the Super Challenge!). This week I've watched one about migrants, one about
religious discrimination in Georgia and one
about nervousness at the Finnish-Russian border. I like watching Deutsche
Welle in any language, because the topics are always so varied and much more interesting than the BBC.

This evening I listened to the remaining Glossika sentences, so I've now listened to all of the first 1000 once and can start figuring out how I'm
going to approach the course. I was pleased to see that as I progressed through the sentences they got a lot more interesting/complicated and I
definitely feel like there is a lot I can learn :)

Edited by Radioclare on 24 June 2015 at 10:50pm

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4371 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 228 of 292
25 June 2015 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Today was Dan Državnosti Republike Hrvatske (Croatian Statehood Day) which celebrates Croatia's declaration of independence from Yugoslavia in 1991. I read an interesting
article on one of the Croatian news websites, which was an interview with a politician complaining that Croatia has too many national days and they ought to amalgamate some of them. Unfortunately I can't remember which website I read it on now to link to it, but apparently they have several other very similar national days so it did sound a bit excessive.

The Croatian government helpfully tweeted a link this morning to explain what today is about. I do recommend following @VladaRH on Twitter as they tweet some really interesting stuff. They've recently won some sort of award for being the most active government on Twitter :)

Not that I want you to think I spend my entire working day trying to kill boredom by refreshing Twitter, but another interesting article I read today was from the Balkan Insight website, which tweets Balkan news in English as well as the regional languages. It's supposed to be an impartial source of regional news and it generally focuses on legacy justice issues from the wars. Today's article was
about how the government in RS has allegedly told primary schools they need to refer to the language taught as 'Bosniak' rather than 'Bosnian' and how upset the Bosniak parents are as a result. It's one of those things that as an outsider it's difficult to grasp quite how emotive the issue is for the people involved.

Balkan politics aside, today has mostly been about Glossika. I'm still trying to figure out a way of using the files which works best for me so that I can get into a routine with it. Today I listened to all the A B and C files for the first batch of 50 sentences twice; once on the way to work and once on the way back. I practised saying them in my head, but not out loud as I was on the train. I'm thinking I ought to do some sort of exercise with writing the sentences out... it even occurred to me that I could do it in both alphabets... but I ended up going out for dinner this evening so haven't had chance to start. I listened to the first two GSR files on the way home as well and I really liked them, but it felt like the pace was quite slow for me at this stage. So I am thinking I might use those later on in the course when the sentences become more complex.... We'll have to see!

Edited by Radioclare on 25 June 2015 at 11:50pm

solocricket
Tetraglot
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3464 days ago

68 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Icelandic, Korean, Polish

Message 229 of 292
28 June 2015 at 5:04am | IP Logged 
I just have to say your log is quite inspiring with regards to any language, but I have
now been tempted to try Serbian thanks to you and basica! I'm not one to fight
wanderlust, so I came back from the bookstore today with Teach Yourself Serbo-Croatian :D
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 230 of 292
28 June 2015 at 7:34am | IP Logged 
Yay welcome aboard!!!

basica
Australia
Joined 3324 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 231 of 292
28 June 2015 at 8:32am | IP Logged 
Good book to get your feet wet with, I got started myself with a TY and it really paved the way for me. I
likewise say welcome aboard, and feel free to start a log here for us all to keep an eye on your progress!

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4371 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 232 of 292
28 June 2015 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
Yay, always exciting when someone else starts learning Serbian or Croatian :)

I started with TY as well and it's definitely a good course.

Will look forward to seeing how you get on :)

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version