Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s tac log 2015 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
292 messages over 37 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 36 37 Next >>
Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4371 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 65 of 292
14 February 2015 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
The full sentence is the following:

He said that that "that" that that man said was correct. :D

Wow, okay. I would never have guessed that in a million years!

Quote:
Does the ^ imply a specific kind of tone? I also see other tone marks sometimes but I don't know how to read
them and kinda don't bother tbh. I have much more pressing comprehension problems to solve first :D

I guess what I'm trying to say is that to me the difference is mostly about intonation, rather than pronunciation.
The tones aren't the Chinese ones anyway :D

As far as I'm aware it's just used to distinguish between two words which look the same but have different meanings
when they are written next to each other. There are four accents in BCMS (kratkouzlazni, dugouzlazni, kratkosilazni,
dugosilazni) and so basically every stressed vowel has either a long or a short vowel sound and a rising or a falling
tone. These don't get marked in normal writing and not even in all textbooks. I think I have read that they are most
noticeable in Bosnian, which is therefore supposed to sound more melodic than other variants of the language, and
that not all speakers of Croatian or Serbian make all of the distinctions.

I am taking the same approach as you though and mostly ignoring the finer details of all this for now :) I definitely
have bigger problems to sort out and if I ever get to the stage that I can speak fluently enough to worry about
whether my vowels are rising or falling, I will be chuffed! In the mean time I am just trying to apply basics like
not accidentally stressing clitics and making vowels long in the genitive plural, and hoping that if I listen to
enough audio I will subconsciously absorb some of the correct sounds anyway :)

1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4371 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 66 of 292
14 February 2015 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
I've had a really relaxing day today, which has involved quite a bit of Serbian.

I read 63 pages of 'Чаробњак из Оза' (The Wizard of Oz) this afternoon and my reading
speed in Cyrillic is definitely improving.

I also practised my handwriting by copying out some of the Serbian Cyrillic texts from
my BCS textbook. There are still some letters in definite need of attention, but I'm
happy because I can see a big improvement from when I started. Getting this right
suddenly feels achievable :)

Of course, today was Valentine's Day and as one of my presents I got this book...

I'm very excited because I have wanted this book for over 10 years. I used to go to
the university bookshop and stroke it, knowing that there was no way I could afford it
and wishing that I was doing a languages degree. It's great to finally have a copy.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4371 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 67 of 292
17 February 2015 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
I have been a bit lazy over the past week or so with not reading in Croatian, but this morning I read another 20 pages of 'Krv Bogova' on the train.
I'm not finding it quite as exciting as the other books in the series so far.

I've been collating a list of useful Macedonian links in Evernote:

Macedonian Language E-Learning Center
Learn Macedonian
Macedonian alphabet tutorial to download (this is really cool)
Macedonian grammar
Online multilingual Macedonian dictionary
Exercises for the second edition of Christina Kramer's textbook
Deutsche Welle in Macedonian

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 68 of 292
19 February 2015 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
Good studies with that great present, Radioclare! I've been through it, but of course my German being at most intermediate I could learn (i.e.retain) much less from it than you probably will.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4371 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 69 of 292
22 February 2015 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Expug :) It looks like a really good book and I really like the way it is laid out with practical examples of grammar usage. If only I
could find something like that in Croatian!

I've been a bit remiss about updating my log again this week. To be honest I feel like I have failed with everything in my life except work so far
this year. I'm setting 1 March as the date from which I try to start working on my resolutions again.

All I have done in Croatian this week is listen to a lot of Brkovi (this is my favourite
new song this week) and read a bit more of 'Krv Bogova', which I'm continuing to find a bit slow.

I've been reading in German for at least half an hour every evening, and finally got to end of
Schutzpatron, which I thoroughly recommend.

I spent this weekend visiting my sister, who lives about 2 hours away by train. I spent my journey studying the second chapter of my Macedonian
textbook. Writing out the exercises was a bit difficult in the cramped conditions of the train, but my Cyrillic handwriting is a lot more fluid
now and feels more natural, even if it isn't necessarily pretty :) The chapter covered the gender of nouns (rules are pretty similar to Croatian,
but with a few more exceptions for masculine nouns) and asking questions.

Edited by Radioclare on 22 February 2015 at 9:58pm

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4371 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 70 of 292
24 February 2015 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
I'm quite excited about the fact that I've found Deutsche Welle in Macedonian. I've
found for Croatian and Serbian that the speech on Deutsche Welle is quite slow and
easy to understand, so I'm hoping for great things from it :) They don't seem to make
a full 30-minute programme each week like for the bigger languages, but there are a
few videos of news items available to watch which are about 5 minutes long each. I
started watching them on Sunday evening, mainly just to start getting a feel for what
Macedonian sounds like, and was devastated to find I couldn't understand a single word
in the first few sentences. Then I realised that the presenter had been speaking in
Albanian (with Macedonian subtitles) :D When the next person spoke, they did so in
Macedonian with Albanian subtitles and I was relieved to find that I could indeed
understand a bit :) The video was about the Swiss Franc exchange rate, so probably not
the best topic for a beginner, but I enjoyed it anyway.

I've also been listening to the audio for the first few chapters of my Macedonian
textbook. It's mostly straightforward, but some of the vowels sound a bit different to
how I expected.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4371 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 71 of 292
04 March 2015 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
Massive thanks to mrwarper for recovering my posts for me :) I'm just about to repost
them all so that my log remains coherent

28 February:

I've read 95 pages of 'Krv Bogova' so far this week, but still not got to the end.
Another 100 pages or so to go, I think. I'm certainly finding it a lot easier to read
than the earlier books in the series, but not as exciting.

What has been exciting this week has been 'Budva na pjenu od mora'. I've watched a
total of five(!) episodes this week and thus got to the end of the second series. I
watched two episodes back-to-back last night because I couldn't wait to find out how
the series was going to end. Don't want to spoil any of the storylines, but it
involved Italian mafia and a lot of guns. A couple of points I found interesting were
that they sometimes referred to Italy as "preko" (normally just means 'across'), and
at one point when two of the (originally Montenegrin) mafia sidekicks started talking
in Italian, the mafia boss interrupted them saying "Nismo sada u Italiji - govorimo po
naški!" I thought that was a nice expression and neatly got around the issue of
whether they were speaking Serbian or Montenegrin.

The Output Challenge starts tomorrow - beginning to feel a bit nervous about what I'm
letting myself in for!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4371 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 72 of 292
04 March 2015 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
I've made a start on the Output Challenge this afternoon. I had been trying to write 350 words in Croatian every week already this year and been slowly
working my way through a description of my holiday in Macedonia. But I've decided that it wouldn't be a true challenge to continue with that, because
I'm quite confident with holiday- related vocab now and it's easy to get stuck in a rut of saying "First I went here. Then I got a bus to there.
Afterwards I did this". I liked the list of topics which rdearman posted in the the Output Challenge Discussion thread, mainly because I had no
idea what I would write for some of them in English, never mind in Croatian, so I've decided to work my way through them chronologically until/unless I
come up with a better idea. I think this is going to be a good tactic because it removes any element of choice as to what I'm going to write about and
means I won't waste time that I could spend writing in trying to think of a theme.

So, today I have started with the title:

What was your favourite food when you were a child? Is it different now? Why did it change/not change?

The first challenge was trying to translate the questions into Croatian :D But this is what I have come up with.

Quote:
Što je bila tvoja omiljena hrana kada si bio dijete? Je li to sada drugačije? Zašto (ni)je promijenilo?

Kada sam bila dijete, moja je omiljena hrana bila grožđa. To barem misli moj dečko, zato što smo nedavno pronašli neku staru školsku knjigu u kojoj sam
to napisala. Ja se uopće ne sjećam da sam ikada toliko voljela grožđa. Sjećam se da sam ih nekada pojela za ručak kada sam bila u školi, ali ne
vjerujem da sam ih zaista više voljela nego primjerice čokoladu. Sada sam odrasla osoba i grožđa mi se još uvijek sviđaju, ali samo kada se nalaze u
nekom dobrom vinu!

Moja omiljena hrana danas je vjerojatno čokolada, jer ne mogu zamisliti da živim bez nje. Kada sam tužna, kada sam ljuta i kada imam pune ruke posla,
jedem čokoladu da preživim. Znam da to sigurno nije dobra strategija za suocavanje sa stresom, ali to ipak učinim. Engleska čokolada mi se najviše
sviđa i radim u gradu koji ima veliku tvornicu za proizvodnju čokolade. Ali mi se sviđa i njemačka čokolada, naročito Ritter
Sport. Mislim da je dobro što nije jednostavno pronaći tu čokoladu u Engleskoj, jer uvijek previše jedem.

Ovih dana jedem mnogo tjestenina, ali se sjećam da nisam čak ni čula o takvoj hrani dok nisam imala deset godina. Moji su roditelji skuhali samo
tipičnu britansku hranu, pa nismo pojeli tjesteninu, rižu ni picu dok nisam išla u srednju školu. Majka mi je iz Irske, pa joj se najviše sviđaju jela
od krumpira i kupusa. Oduvijek sam mrzila te sastojake. Kada sam bila mlada, bojala sam se da bi me majka možda natjerala da jedem kupus zbog toga da
bi ga sakrila negdje u nekim drugom jelu. Dakle, uvijek sam bila malo sumnjiva kad god sam nešto novo pojela. Često je došla do svađe kod nas dok smo
večerali zbog toga što sam odbijala da nešto pojedem.

Radujem što sam odrasla osoba i nikada ne moram da pojedem nešto što mi se ne sviđa. Mislim da je hrana danas zanimljivija nego kada sam bila dijete,
zato što je sada lakše probati jela iz čitava svijeta. Kod nas se često jede indijsku hranu, primjerice, što bi bilo nečuveno prije dvadeset godina.

Naravno, kada učim novi jezik, želim učiti i o hrani one zemlje. Kada sam naučila njemački, naučila sam voljeti ne samo duge rečenice bez glagola, a
također Kaiserschmarrn, Käsespätzle i Rösti. Nije bilo ništa slično kada sam naučila Esperanto, jer taj posebni jezik ne dolazi iz nikakve zemlje, pa
nema nikakvu tradicijsku hranu. Prije što sam naučila Esperanto, međutim, bila sam trezvenjak, a sada pijem vino skoro svaki dan, pa mislim da mi je
Esperanto ipak mnogo naučila što se tiče alkohola.

Trenutačno učim hrvatski i kada idem na Balkan, probam nacionalne specialitete. Volim zagrebački odrezak, fritule, čevapčiće i - naravno - burek. Ali
znam da moram još vježbati da popijem rakiju kao Hrvatica.

Quick translation for anyone who isn't learning Croatian (so about 99% of the forum!):

"When I was a child, my favourite food was grapes. That's what my boyfriend thinks at least because not long ago we found an old schoolbook in which
I had written that. I don't remember at all that I ever loved grapes that much. I remember that I sometimes used to eat them for lunch when I was at
school, but I don't believe that I really liked them more than chocolate, for example. Now I'm an adult and I still like grapes, but only when they're
in a good wine!

My favourite food today is probably chocolate, because I can't imagine living without it. When I'm sad, when I'm angry and when I have loads to do, I
eat chocolate in order to survive. I know that that definitely isn't a good strategy for coping with stress, but I do it anyway. I like English
chocolate best and I work in a town which has a big chocolate factory. But I like German chocolate too, particularly Ritter Sport. I think
it's good that it's not easy to find that chocolate in England, because I always eat too much of it.

These days I eat a lot of pasta, but I remember that I hadn't even heard of that kind of food until I was ten. My parents only cooked typical British
food, so we didn't eat pasta, rice or pizza until I went to secondary school. My mother is from Ireland and so she loves meals of potato and cabbage. I
have always hated those ingredients. When I was young, I was scared that my mother might perhaps force me to eat cabbage by hiding it somewhere in
another dish. So I was always a bit suspicious whenever I ate something new. There were often arguments at home while we were eating dinner because
I'd refuse to eat something.

I'm glad that I'm an adult and never again have to eat something that I don't like. I think that food today is more interesting than when I was a
child, because it's easier to try dishes from the whole world. We often eat Indian food, for example, which would have been unheard of twenty years
ago.

Of course, when I'm learning a new language, I want to learn about the food of that country too. When I learned German, I learned to love not only long
sentences without verbs, but also Kaiserschmarrn,
Käsespätzle and Rösti. There wasn't anything
similar when I learned Esperanto, because that special language doesn't come from any country and so doesn't have any kind of traditional food. Before
I learned Esperanto, however, I was teetotal and now I drink wine almost every day, so I think that Esperanto has nevertheless taught me a lot about
alcohol.

At the moment I'm learning Croatian and when I go to the Balkans I try the local cuisine. I love
Zagreb Schnitzel,fritule,
čevapčiće and - of course - burek. But I know
that I still need to practise drinking rakija like a Croat :)"

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version