Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 457 of 758
10 October 2012 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
Now for today's doubts:

ბედნიერი მამა ყოფილხართ, ნატონო.= You must be a happy father, sir.

The dialogues have proved themselves quite helpful. They're not translated at all, and I have to figure out the verbal root and translate it somehow myself. I'm getting used to some participles and the perfect myself, I think most of them could just be treated as nouns and Aronson shouldn't expect us to memorize how those are formed, we just learn them as new nouns for which we can spot the link to an existing verb. I hope to learn a lot from the dialogues, even though I'll struggle here and there and ask for Murdoc's help, because then I'll have translation for both the prose and the poetry readings!! It only gets better.
1 person has voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5046 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 458 of 758
11 October 2012 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
ყოფილხართ

That reminds me, I've always wondered, what do words like this mean? For example, another
one like that is ყოფილიყო.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 459 of 758
11 October 2012 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
One more example from the continuing course (you oughta start it when you've finished Aronson!!):

დიდი ხანია არ მინახავხართ.
I'm not sure if this is perfect or pluperfect, but it seems to mean "long time no see". The subject is placed as if it were an indirect object market "მი..." and the object is suffixed from the verb არის: ხართ.

I don't totally get this sentence:

ჩემი ბიჭი იწერება, აქ გაჩერება აღარ შემიძლია, თბილისში უნდა დავბრუნდეო. My son wrote me that he couldn't stay there, he had to return to Tbilisi.

ჩემმა ბიჭმა აიჩემა, ლენინგრადში მინდა წასვლაო გავუშვით, რას ვიზამდით. What does "აიჩემა" and "გავუშვით" mean?

კარგი ქენით, რომ გაუშვით, უნდა მიეჩვიოს დამოუკიდებელ ცხოვრებას. Good thing (?) that he moved away (?), you must accept the idea of an independent life.

Today's dialogue had those little pitfalls but the context was entirely understandable. I could get a lot of words from the context and really only had to look up a few. i'm coming across usages I hadn't seen yet in any of the other textbooks I've used. Kiziria does a really great job in writing dialogues.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 460 of 758
11 October 2012 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:

33ა - დროს როცა უნდა თოვს
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0w875tXzzc

დრო დროზე ჩქარა მიქროდა, time, time went by faster to me
დრო არაფერზე ფიქრობდა the time when we thought about nothing
ფიქრი რათ უნდა დროს? About what would the time think?
დროს როცა უნდა თოვლს. The time when it must snow
სიყვარული თუ გაქრება What if love disappears
მზე იტირებს და ჩაქვრება The sun is crying and leaves
ჩვენ ვერ გავიგებთ რა ხდება We don't know what's happening
ჩერდება დრო. Time stops.
დრო დროზე ჩქარა მიქრის time, time went by faster to me
დრო აღარ გვაქვს ჩვენ ფიქრის we have no time to think
ერთად თუ არ ვართ დღეს whether we are together or not today
ხვალ შენც გაქრები და მეც. tomorrow you and I will both disappear

Almost one year later, I tried to translate this song into English. It makes more sense now, though the poetry makes use of the word დრო in several ways and functions and sometimes I couldn't understand it fully.

Edited by Expugnator on 11 October 2012 at 10:20pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 461 of 758
15 October 2012 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
I'm getting a little bit more used to longer texts at the Newspaper Reader. Today's text was about the American actress Audrey Hepburn.

As for the Continuing Course, I tried to read today's dialogue previously on Friday without a dictionary and I understood almost all of it, except for some verbal forms.

Now for the doubts:

გალამაზებულხარ, დაქალებულხარ. You got prettier, (???).
ძალიან გიხდება. It fits you well (?)
მე, გენაცვალე, ეხლა აქ ვცხოვრობ, რაიონში. What does გენაცვალე mean in this context?
ძალიან კარგი გიქნია. It sounds very good to you (?)
შევთანხმდეთ, როდის იქნება კარგი დრომ, რომ გამოგიარო. What does გამოგიარო mean?

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 462 of 758
16 October 2012 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
The audio for the Newspaper Reader is over =( I only got it up to selection 24. Now I'm going to spend a long time without listening to Georgian, unless I find an audiobook or whatever. I may resort to the beginner's courses in Russian I found, just for the sake of listening. I'm still not ready to just listen to radio broadcasts without a translation. Well, maybe I can handle this temporarily with music, as long as I manage to make it fit into my schedule. On average, everyday I'm reading like 2 pages from the newspaper reader and 5 other pages of dialogues from the Continuing Course, and that's quite something. I usually pick up Norwegian after I'm done with those, and I resort to more dialogue reading if I manage to finish Norwegian quickly and there's still a lot of time left. I'll see what will happen. I only hope I don't get unaccostumed to hearing Georgian in the meantime.

onkel_xiaoma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4272 days ago

38 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: German*, Mandarin
Studies: Tatar, Turkish

Message 463 of 758
16 October 2012 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
Hello Expugnator, maybe this basic vocabulary book could be of some use for You, it contains some whopping 3800 items..

http://www.amazon.de/Grundwortschatz-Georgisch-Lia-Abuladze/ dp/3875485505/ref=pd_sim_b_5

Previews:
http://www.buske.de/download/020550.pdf
http://www.buske.de/download/020550_WV.pdf
2 persons have voted this message useful

onkel_xiaoma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4272 days ago

38 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: German*, Mandarin
Studies: Tatar, Turkish

Message 464 of 758
16 October 2012 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
There is also a book with verb tables:

http://www.amazon.de/Georgische-Verbtabellen-Steffi-Chotiwar i-J%C3%BCnger/dp/3875485106/ref=pd_sim_b_6

Preview:
http://www.buske.de/download/020510.pdf

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version