Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Super challenge!

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
713 messages over 90 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 33 ... 89 90 Next >>
Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 257 of 713
26 April 2012 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Einarr wrote:
It may seem as a ridiculous question (never mind my stupidity), but how can I check out if I did it right?

There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers :-)

Normally you get a message from them that you have been registered. It may take a few minutes though - possibly up to 20 .
2 persons have voted this message useful

Einarr
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
einarrslanguagelog.w
Joined 4401 days ago

118 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: English, Bulgarian*, French, Russian
Studies: Swedish

Message 258 of 713
26 April 2012 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the quick response! :) The thing is that round here virtually nobody uses twitter, and I was kinda lost when I got there. I now checked, and don't have a message, hmm, probably I messed up something. :D I guess if it doesn't work out with me and twitter, I'll use my blog only for the updates. :D
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 259 of 713
26 April 2012 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
Einarr wrote:
Thanks for the quick response! :) The thing is that round here virtually nobody uses twitter, and I was kinda lost when I got there. I now checked, and don't have a message, hmm, probably I messed up something. :D I guess if it doesn't work out with me and twitter, I'll use my blog only for the updates. :D

I can't find your name on the list, but is is possible that it is still too soon. Try to register again - if you are already registred it will tell you so, and if not I am sure it will work this time. If it does not, then send a copy of the exact message you sent the bot to register to surrealix, and I am sure he will help you :-)

Einarr
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
einarrslanguagelog.w
Joined 4401 days ago

118 posts - 269 votes 

Message 260 of 713
26 April 2012 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
Alright I registered again (though I'm absolutely sure I did something wrong again :D) I'm starting off watching that Finnish movie now(woo-hoo), and check out the progress on my twitter drama afterwards. A good enough hour and a half should have passed until I'm done.
Apart from that provocative thoughts of a half Russian challenge have recently emerged in my mind, but I'm somehow trying to abstain. :D

Edited by Einarr on 26 April 2012 at 11:22am

Marikki
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 5283 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: German

Message 261 of 713
26 April 2012 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
Here it is, the perfect challenge for me!

I hope I’m still qualified for the challenge although I already have read 26 books in Spanish. I was at A1/ A2 (my own evaluation, I’m self-studying) when I begun reading the first book. Now I’m A2/ B1/B2 depending on the area (i.e. listening B1, reading B2, writing A2, conversing A2).

I took a couple of private lessons in March when I was in Ecuador but otherwise reading novels and watching some TV is all I’ve done. My experience with the Ecuadorian teacher proved me that having just 26 books under my belt has already brought me to a place where my learning prospects are very bright.   

I already feel comfortable reading Spanish so reading 100 books more would just be a dream come true!

Watching 100 films would be another thing. If I really wanted to benefit from watching Spanish films I should do it without any subtitles (even Spanish). Although my listening comprehension clearly correlates with my ever increasing reading speed and has thus developed a lot too, I’m very disappointed I understand so little of what they say in the Spanish TV series “Cuéntame cómo pasó”. I have been watching “Cuéntame cómo pasó” weekly for a long time, but always with subtitles. The 1st of May 2012 I’m going to turn the subtitles off !

Should my reading skills disqualify me from the challenge, I want anyways thank Solfrid Cristin for the excellent idea and initiative.

Edited by Marikki on 26 April 2012 at 5:28pm

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4392 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 262 of 713
26 April 2012 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
Hi All,

I'd hoped to have a new update out today, but as usual with this kind of thing it's taking longer than I'd hoped. However
here's an overview of the upcoming features, and a few answers to your questions:

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Is there some way I can change my registration to the Super Duper challenge that I registred with by
the way? I don't think it took, since I wrote it in two words.

The next update (or maybe the next-next update, depending on how things go) I'm planning to add a '#unregister' command that
will let you go back and try again. This will probably be needed by a few people as the challenge categories are getting
optional variations (eg, the half challenge with only books).

hjordis wrote:
Since you have an option to put titles and time/pages, would it be possible to make names clickable and bring
up a detailed list with this sort of information?

When you add the conversation and writing, are you going to do the quotes thing? It could be used for a title or topic of your
writing and the topic of your conversation or your conversation partner.

Edit: The bot divides total time by 90 minutes and rounds down to get film numbers. I entered one 4 hour film and one 30
minute film, which by the rules would technically be 2.5 films, but it counts it as 3. I imagine books work the same way. This
is fine(and will probably even out except for the people who are reading 100 page childrens books and whatnot), but it would
be good to include it somewhere in the instructions so people know how it works.

Also I tested out the title in quotations and I can't figure out what it does. Is the bot supposed to respond back with the
title in place of "a book"?

You're absolutely right here. The idea behind the titles is to show more detailed statistics/logs for participants. If you
click on your name, it could come up with a list of all the books you read, when you read them, and maybe other people who
have read the same. (And if you update the page count every day, it could show you how long each book took to read). It's not
implemented yet - there are a few more important things to get fixed first.

The page/minute counting for films and books works as you said. I'll make the description a bit clearer. The thought behind it
is that people who just want to count books they've read (regardless of how long/short they are) kan use the #book keyword,
and don't have to worry about pages at all. Those who are concerned about long books and short books can enter their pagecount
each time. While the rules say that a short book is 100 page, the twitterbot currently uses 125 - that way it's evenly scaled.

While I would have liked to count individual books (ie, according to the rules if someone read three 400 page books it should
still count as 3 books - the twitterbot will count it as 4). But this would rely on people using the title tags every single
entry so that I could differentiate books - something which obviously doesn't happen, and unfortunately I suspect would cause
more confusion than anything else.

Einarr wrote:
Alright I registered again (though I'm absolutely sure I did something wrong again :D)

The reason you never got a reply is that your twitter was never read by the TwitterBot. This could have several reasons. First
check that you prefixed it with "@langchallenge" and that it's spelt correctly. If it was, then I suspect it has to do with
the privacy rules, because I notice your account is set to private. I've tweaked the twitterbot rules a bit, so you should now
have a request from the bot to follow you. If you accept, it should read your tweets and add you to the list. Let me know how
this goes :).

Also, thanks for all the support, and for bearing with things as they continually break and get fixed. If you've got features
you'd like to see, feel free to shout them out, and if you're interested in what's currently being worked on (and what I'm
planning to put in) then check the "TODO" list which I'm keeping up to date on the main page.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Einarr
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
einarrslanguagelog.w
Joined 4401 days ago

118 posts - 269 votes 

Message 263 of 713
26 April 2012 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
@ surrealix: Thanks mate, it all finally worked out, and I managed to get registered for the challenge, just got the confirmation message (though I got my privacy setting fixed now):)

Edited by Einarr on 26 April 2012 at 6:57pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4697 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 264 of 713
26 April 2012 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
Surrealix, I would like to request that you add Hindi to the super challenge bot, please. Also, is it possible to register for two languages? Or do we just have one main language, like the 6wc?

This discussion contains 713 messages over 90 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version