Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Super challenge!

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
713 messages over 90 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 80 ... 89 90 Next >>
g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5775 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 633 of 713
14 July 2012 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
I have decided to downgrade my Japanese Super Challenge to a half one. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to record that here or in the Registration and Updates thread. After four years of being focussed on just one language I'm suddenly finding myself reconsidering my goals. Linguistically (and possibly physically too) I am looking more towards the European mainland again. I'm not sure if this is just temporary wanderlust or not. I still want some space in my life for Japanese, which is why I will still give the half challenge a good attempt, but right now I want some time to try something else as well.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5127 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 634 of 713
14 July 2012 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
Are you going to start one of these off every year (I know that means you'd have two
running at the same time)? I'm about to put my Spanish on ice for a while, but I'd love
to try this next year!

No, I will not be running two at the same time, because that would be too messy. In order to let people join inn later, I was however thinking of having a system where you need to read less for each month that passes, so that if you started on May 1st, a full challenge would be 100 books/film, in June 95, in July 90 etc.

I do not know whether that can be fitted in with the bot, but it will in any event record the material covered, and then those who start later will just have to keep tabs on when they will have reached their goal.

I will look at the experience from the first Super Challenge before defining a new one, so I can't say much about when it will start, but it will not be until the first one is over. Everyone are however welcome to start new part-challenges as the time passes.

dr sam gyup sal wrote:
I'm a bit late but I am in for the Super Challenge. I will be reading childrens books and watching all types of movies

Which challenge and witch language? :-)

g-bod wrote:
I have decided to downgrade my Japanese Super Challenge to a half one. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to record that here or in the Registration and Updates thread.

I appreciate it if you update in the Registration and Update thread, and on the Twitter bot. Good luck with any new and exciting languages you start on .-)

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4652 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 635 of 713
15 July 2012 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
I'd like to ask, just out of curiosity - what's your attitude towards writing down the words from the movies in your target languages? I mean, do you note a lot of words and phrases, rarely or not at all?

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4326 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 636 of 713
15 July 2012 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
I'd like to ask, just out of curiosity - what's your attitude towards writing down the words from the movies in your target languages? I mean, do you note a lot of words and phrases, rarely or not at all?

I regularly do it for movies. I am not fanatical about; I just note down phrases that grab my attention for some reason or words that people seem to be using a lot. I usually get about 20 words/phrases per movie, which I then add to Anki so I don't forget them later.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 637 of 713
17 July 2012 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
I don't write them down. Not surprising given most of my "movies" are football matches;)
I might tweet when the commentator says something funny, though :D

What about dialects? My dad went to Switzerland recently and he bought me two books in Swiss German <3 (one in the Bern dialect, the other in the Zürich one) Can I just count them for German?

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5127 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 638 of 713
17 July 2012 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

What about dialects? My dad went to Switzerland recently and he bought me two books in Swiss German <3 (one in the Bern dialect, the other in the Zürich one) Can I just count them for German?

Sure you can!

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4640 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 639 of 713
19 July 2012 at 7:16am | IP Logged 
Solfrid (and others), let me get this straight.

So all I need to do is, for example with the Half Challenge, watch some films and/or read some books. I don't have to understand all of it, just do what I would normally do (with books, look up unknown words and learn them, and with films/dramas, just jot down any new words that grab my attention), and I get credit for that?

Sounds too good to be true.

What's the catch?

Edited by kujichagulia on 19 July 2012 at 7:16am

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4320 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 640 of 713
19 July 2012 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
Solfrid (and others), let me get this straight.

So all I need to do is, for example with the Half Challenge, watch some films and/or read some books. I don't have to understand all of it, just do what I would normally do (with books, look up unknown words and learn them, and with films/dramas, just jot down any new words that grab my attention), and I get credit for that?

Sounds too good to be true.

What's the catch?

There is no catch! The end goal is to read 50 books and watch 50 movies (for the half challenge), but the real point I'd say, is the progress that you make in just trying to complete the challenge. I think that's the real value of this challenge, and is what Solfrid Cristin had in mind when she came up with this (awesome) idea :D

Edited by ZombieKing on 19 July 2012 at 7:24am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 713 messages over 90 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version