Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Super challenge!

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
713 messages over 90 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 72 ... 89 90 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 569 of 713
08 June 2012 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
I'm going to count poetry normally (unless it's just 4-8 lines lol). I know what you mean, I'll be very disappointed if I fail even one part of *my* challenge!

Quote:
It's not a competition with others, it is a competition with yourself. (Well, maybe for Serpent, but not for the rest of us! LOL)
maybe it's what for me? :D
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5183 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 570 of 713
08 June 2012 at 2:00am | IP Logged 

RMM wrote:
Kerrie, I admire your attitude, but I don't commit to anything that I don't think I'll actually be able to accomplish.

Ouch.

FYI, I fully intend to finish a Full Super Challenge for both Spanish and French. I will be pushing myself to do the same in Italian and German, although - to be fair, those will probably extend beyond the deadline of this particular challenge.

I have no idea how far I will get with Croatian (as far as the Challenge goes), but if I can complete two full super challenges in Spanish and French, halfway there for Italian and German (by the end of next year), and can make significant progress in Croatian, I will consider myself a real winner.

Make light of that if you want to. I certainly won't.

Edited by Kerrie on 08 June 2012 at 2:02am

3 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5320 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 571 of 713
08 June 2012 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I have just come back from an extremely tough international
meeting, I have slept less than 3 hours this night, I have just stumbled through the
door, and it is past midnight. I certainly was not prepared to coming home to outrage.

The point of the challenge is motivation, so just apply the rule that motivates you.
You are doing this for you, not for me.

Solfrid, I just wanted to thank you for organizing the challenge! It was a great idea,
and you've inspired tons of people here at HTLAL to indulge shamelessly in their
languages, and push themselves to their limits. You've gone above and beyond your
already significant contributions to this community, and helped us take it to the next
level.

Sadly, with every great success, there are some inevitable growing pains. Whenever you
affect so many people in such a major (and positive) way, you're inevitably going to
have some complications and headaches. So if it helps you any, you could always think
of the occasional glitch as a sign that you're helping a whole lot of folks.

RMM
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5015 days ago

91 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 572 of 713
08 June 2012 at 2:56am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

Make light of that if you want to. I certainly won't.

Ay, ay, ay. I'm not coming across the way I mean to at all today! I really had no intention to make light of your post in any way whatsoever. I think the basic argument of simply challenging yourself is a very good one.

All that I was trying to do was explain why FOR ME it is important to have reasonable standards worked out in ways that would allow me to finish the entire challenge. I think that it is PERFECTLY OK for anyone else to take an entirely different tack on this, and, of course, so long as you move forward in your language learning that that's great for you! I would never make light of that; I think it's totally fine. It's just not what I would feel comfortable doing. I mean, if I don't end up finishing every last thing, that's no disaster, but I want to do what I can within reason to do so.

That's why I also think that it really is a great thing that Solfrid Critin has expanded this out to include more things that people care about (even if it is a real--and understandable--headache...) Let's face it, if she left it at the exact original rules, there would have been FAR fewer people participating, and less people getting the benefit of the challenge.
1 person has voted this message useful

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4974 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 573 of 713
08 June 2012 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
hjordis wrote:
Does anybody have some ideas on how to count words in Japanese? Word boundaries can get kind of fuzzy and the information density is almost certainly different and I'm pretty sure I can't just do an automatic word count in word, and I'd rather not do it by hand.

I think my English teachers used to say 1 double spaced page=about 500 words, but testing some documents I have it seems closer to 300 maybe 400. Does it seem right to say 1/2 page double spaced=1 piece of writing? I'm open to ideas!

If you write in Word, it gives you a character count rather than a word count. I've tried counting words manually and comparing. I haven't done it so many times yet, but so far I've always gotten a factor between 4 and 5. Another person here and I tried some other methods of counting and got the same results. So you could just try multiplying the count from Word with 4.5, but you might want to do some more experimenting yourself first since we haven't actually tested so many. Of course there is also the problem of what you consider a word as there can be some differences of opinion, but I think that won't usually give such huge differences anyway, unless you consider particles as part of the word before or something like that. I consider particles as words in themselves.

Thank you, I will do a little more experimenting and if I get the same results I'll use 4.5 characters=1 word. (as for particles, I tend to count them as separate words probably due to words like "is" and "the" in English, but the few texts I've seen with spacing all attach them to the previous word. Ah well.)

RMM
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5015 days ago

91 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 574 of 713
08 June 2012 at 5:16am | IP Logged 
RMM wrote:
However, if I'm going to be frank about it, I don't think I've ever seen a play or libretto that really only takes up 1/5 of a regular page--even more so when you are counting things like Harry Potter as full pages.

I was wrong! I freely admit it. I've started going though my libretti and plays just to check on length, and lo and behold the Nico Castel libretti really do appear to only have about 1/5 of a normal page's text in the foreign language. Each page has a line in Italian, then a line with the pronunciation, then a line with the translation, and then a big blank line. This is the only time I've ever seen a libretto or play set up like this. I'm sorry Solfrid Cristin for doubting that you'd really ever seen this before! Just because it's rare, I assumed it didn't exist. Bad on me. I just couldn’t let this lie there when I was incorrect.

Unlike the Nico Castel volumes, though, further exploration has shown that most of my libretti and plays that are published as books seem to have between 125 and 325 words per page, or in other words a little bit over that of a normal book page with big print (like HP at 250-300 words/page) down to around half an equivalent page. It occurs to me too that what many people might think of as a libretto are those little booklets that come with a lot of opera recordings. I checked a few pages of these of varying density (some with big blocks of text, others with quick back-and-forth dialogue/recitative), and they were at around 60-140 words in very small print per page counting the foreign language only. So I’ll keep that in mind too if I ever use those.

Of course, all this just goes to show that you really need to evaluate each piece on an individual basis. Really, I'm thinking now that I should have just done the word count and comparison thing on my own instead of bothering Solfrid Cristin about it, but like Jeffers I had just assumed a page was a page was a page (or after the ruling on lyrics that perhaps a page was half page was half a page…), so I didn't really think about it until the music conversation came up…which seems like it may have been inspired by my half challenge plus writing request--oh my, I’m starting to think I’m Pandora with her open box. Sorry folks, I’m a stickler for rules, but I really do find clear-cut rules to reach for and to plan around to be more motivating than a laid-back just do whatever you feel like attitude. OK, I'll shut up now (finally, huh?)--I'm happy with the "Golden Rule + Word Count to be fair" solution.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 575 of 713
08 June 2012 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
Having slept a somewhat more reasonable amount of hours now (6) I would just like to appologize if my answer came across as impolite, I did not mean it to be, and I am not offended by anyone. I was just so tired I thought I would faint, and a bit unprepared for any heavy discussions.

I can only answer from the (limited) experience I have, but as my mom always used to say, "When the terrain and the map are not equal, it is the map that is wrong".But please keep in mind that when I started this thread I was just hoping for two, three people who might be crazy enough to do the challenge with me. Not in my wildest fantasy did I expect this to grow to the proportions it has. I am delighted that so many have joined,because that has added also to my motivation and generally I am having a blast, but I still find it a little overwhelming. I am doing my very best to give fair rulings, but ultimately you are the only one on the ground who can say whether this would be fair for your particular item.

Whenever in doubt please do use The Golden Rule. Again, the point is to read as much as possible, and to give yourself a language bath. Sometimes you do not know until you are half through the book, how you can count it properly. I started on a guide book on the Transsiberian Railways in French yesterday, and since there are both pictures and maps here and there, I expected to perhaps lower the page count by 30%. However I soon realized that where I fly through a Agatha Christie in a few hours, doing 60-70 pages per hour, here I had only done 45 pages in almost 4 hours. The print is much smaller, they have all sorts of fact boxes, and a historical time line at the bottom of the page, which all in all added up to more text than in a Agatha Christie book. Plus it gives so much food for thought that you are slowed down.

So the basic rules - which trump all other rules are:
- Do as much as you can
- Have fun
- Stay motivated
- And the Golden Rule - when in doubt use you own best judgement.

Remember I am your coach and motivator for this Challenge, I am not the Spanish Inquisition :-)

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6408 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 576 of 713
08 June 2012 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
Cristina is very, very right. The Golden Rule is the most important and really the only possible way of doing this. Even in books, you will find quite a huge difference in how many words there are per page. I'm currently reading Harry Potter and I find that even though it is sort of meant for children, it is pretty densely packed with words. Some of my other books (even for adults) have a lot of conversation. Since each utterance usually is its own paragraph, that makes for a lot fewer words per page.

I think also it is important to try to vary the things one reads. I once heard a story of a man who'd learned English primarily through reading the bible and upon meeting a native speaker asked him to explain the proper use of thee and thou. I don't know if this story is true (probably isn't), but I do know that there are a lot of people who've learned Japanese by using mostly manga and anime and their Japanese ended up being both odd and rude.

In general, I think books (fiction) and plays (not the poetic type, but those in ordinary everyday language) give a somewhat more natural language than manga or poetry, but even then, I would recommend varying a bit with both fiction and non-fiction. I agree that poetry is both beautiful and difficult to read. But it should definitely be supplemented with other types of literature. I have no idea how much a page should count for; some pages might be dense, others not. I think giving general rules on anything is very difficult since there is so much variation even within one type of literature. The only solution is Cristina's Golden Rule.

It's also important to remember that this is a challenge not a competition. If it were a competition, I could read a bunch of children's books and be done in a month or two. However, I wouldn't learn anything from it. I am currently reading Harry Potter because it is the perfect level for me -- a bit of a struggle to read, but possible. There are some people here that are complete beginners in their languages and I think it is amazing that they even attempt such a challenge. And I'm sure that for them, a page in a book meant for 5-year-olds is just as difficult for them as a page of Harry Potter is for me.

So we should always remember to push ourselves (and I think everyone is doing that) and to use our own judgement when counting/estimating pages.

PS: I don't think this sounds like a tirade, but if it does, it certainly wasn't meant to be.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 08 June 2012 at 9:57am

This discussion contains 713 messages over 90 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version