Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Super challenge!

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
713 messages over 90 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 78 ... 89 90 Next >>
Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5135 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 617 of 713
04 July 2012 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
With all the football fans here, I am sure that you know the expression "to play eachother good" (assuming this is not just a Norwegian expression, in which case you probably think I am an idiot:-)
Ummm must be a Norwegian expression :D I (hopefully) understand what it's about though:)

Oops. It means to play in such a way that you help and support your team mates and make them shine, and that the total effort of the team is hightened.
2 persons have voted this message useful

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5020 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 618 of 713
04 July 2012 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
fiziwig wrote:
I'm really amazed at what is happening to my reading ability as a direct result of this challenge. I find now that I can pick up some books (but not yet all books) in Spanish and just read them for pleasure, hardly even noticing that they are in Spanish.

So in the long run I really don't care whether I come in first place or fiftieth place.
I'm still getting a huge benefit from doing the challenge!

And mine, and my French and my German (I actually get some of the grammar that I've only use by rote before.)

I may well miss some of the challenge targets but it's not about targets is it? Its about challenging yourself to do more. As Cristin said at the very start of the challenge how can your TL's not be sooooo much better with a hundred books - or five books read twenty times.... or films or whatever
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5333 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 619 of 713
04 July 2012 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
maydayayday wrote:
And mine, and my French and my German (I actually get some of the
grammar that I've only use by rote before.)

I may well miss some of the challenge targets but it's not about targets is it?

I'm surprised to find that I'm almost on track: 8.4 "books" and 15.5 "films" after 2
months. And every book is easier than the last.

The challenge just gives me one more excuse to pick up a book. Hmm, what do I do
now? Ah, well, might as well rack up another 1% on the Super Challenge.
So it's a
good incentive, especially now that I've switched over to logging stuff with the
Twitter bot.

A couple hundred pages a week seems to have a noticeable effect on my grammar and
vocabulary. I can't imagine what 10,000 pages will do.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5196 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 620 of 713
04 July 2012 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
fiziwig wrote:

I'm really amazed at what is happening to my reading ability as a direct result of this challenge. I find now that I can pick up some books (but not yet all books) in Spanish and just read them for pleasure, hardly even noticing that they are in Spanish.

I have noticed this as well. I still notice they are in Spanish, but I am almost done with my third full book - albeit children's books - and it keeps getting easier. I can't wait until I am done with my French and Italian Assimil courses so I can start reading in those languages, too.

I have actually noticed such a big jump in my reading comprehension that I thought briefly about bumping my Spanish up to an Advanced Challenge instead. Very briefly. :-)   

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5020 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese

Message 621 of 713
04 July 2012 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
fiziwig wrote:

I have noticed this as well. I still notice they are in Spanish, but I am almost done with my third full book - albeit children's books - and it keeps getting easier. I can't wait until I am done with my French and Italian Assimil courses so I can start reading in those languages, too.

I have actually noticed such a big jump in my reading comprehension that I thought briefly about bumping my Spanish up to an Advanced Challenge instead. Very briefly. :-)   

or Russian or Greek, Go on: you know you wanna.......

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5020 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 

Message 622 of 713
04 July 2012 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Serpent wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
With all the football fans here, I am sure that you know the expression "to play eachother good" (assuming this is not just a Norwegian expression, in which case you probably think I am an idiot:-)
Ummm must be a Norwegian expression :D I (hopefully) understand what it's about though:)

Oops. It means to play in such a way that you help and support your team mates and make them shine, and that the total effort of the team is hightened.

So it isn't "playing the game is more important than winning...."

Need to say I don't speak football.... or most sports for that matter

Edited by maydayayday on 04 July 2012 at 4:08pm

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5196 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 623 of 713
04 July 2012 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
maydayayday wrote:

I already added a Half Challenge for Russian. And my Assimil Russian book just got here yesterday. :D

Besides, I already have 7 challenges. You really want me to add Greek, too? I think Portuguese is more likely, considering I can already read 75% of it without having ever really studied it.

The really cool thing is that it's so hot here in Michigan (98ºF and higher for the next three days), that everyone in my house is hiding in one of the two rooms that have air conditioning. I get my workroom, and the kids get the other room. And it's really peaceful. Of course, I still have to work, but it gives me a lot more uninterrupted study time. :D

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5020 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 

Message 624 of 713
04 July 2012 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
maydayayday wrote:

I already added a Half Challenge for Russian. And my Assimil Russian book just got here yesterday. :D

Besides, I already have 7 challenges. You really want me to add Greek, too? I think Portuguese is more likely, considering I can already read 75% of it without having ever really studied it.

The really cool thing is that it's so hot here in Michigan (98ºF and higher for the next three days), that everyone in my house is hiding in one of the two rooms that have air conditioning. I get my workroom, and the kids get the other room. And it's really peaceful. Of course, I still have to work, but it gives me a lot more uninterrupted study time. :D

It's been a miserable summer here; I missed the one week of sun because we were in Spain. Yay. Both teenagers are in exams: neither took languages because "everyone speaks English"
We are back to Spain in 3 week which will be largely ES or DE... it all helps the challenge.

This discussion contains 713 messages over 90 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version