329 messages over 42 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 ... 41 42 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 105 of 329
13 January 2013 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
They just prevent repetition.
1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 106 of 329
13 January 2013 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
1. Assimil Lesson 45 (Active): This one went really well. I forgot "se diriger", but other than it was all smooth.

2. Tomorrow is the start of the school semester, so I'll have to fit French in among all my class obligations. I may not be writing quite as much in this log, but I'm still going to try to do at least two Assimil lessons a day (one from each phase) and meet up over Skype with my new tutor twice a week. Hopefully I can get a new computer at some point so that Skype and webcam connections in general will work better.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 107 of 329
14 January 2013 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
1. Assimil Lesson 95 (Passive): This one was pretty easy. I only missed a couple things on my dictation, and there were only two new words / expressions:

exprès
fichez-moi la paix

Sometimes I wish the difficulty of Assimil lessons were more evenly distributed, but I guess it can be hard to gauge the potential difficulty of lessons for learners. :-)

2. Assimil Lesson 46 (Active): Not too bad. I tried something a bit different this time; rather than writing it out, I looked at each English sentence, tried to translate it into French aloud, then looked at the French version to see how close I got. Then I went back through and tried to do it again, getting smoother with my translation and delivery. I'll probably go back to it and do a written version later today.

3. I scheduled a new session with my tutor! As we were scheduling it, I noticed how quickly I had to switch to English when talking about plans / schedules, mentioned it to her, so she said we would work on it in a future session. Next session is Thursday afternoon.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 108 of 329
15 January 2013 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
1. Two weeks of TAC 2013 have passed and I'm feeling pretty good about what I have done so far. The tally for the first two weeks (1 Jan through 14 Jan) is:

22 Assimil lessons (11 passive, 11 active)
2 conversations in French
several text chats in French
2 journal entries on lang-8 / italki
hours of reading and listening to native materials that I didn't bother to write down
probably half a dozen Anki sessions

Week 3 starts today. :-)

2. I found a local French conversation meetup about half an hour away. Actually it seems to be a combined class and conversation group, with a one hour class for beginner to intermediate level, followed by an hour and a half conversation group. And it meets every week, too! The next session is tomorrow and I'm going to check it out.

3. Just an aside: reading Arekkusu's log about his experience at an Esperanto conference, it sounded like a pretty cool gathering, and it reminded me that the first time I ever wanted to learn a language on my own was when I wanted to learn Esperanto, back in middle school, I think. I can't even remember how I got the idea of learning Esperanto into my head, but I still remember downloading some tutorials and printing them out (I don't remember there being any sound samples, just a bunch of text). The interest didn't stick around too long, though. Maybe I'll check it out again some day...

Edited by tastyonions on 15 January 2013 at 3:32pm

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 109 of 329
16 January 2013 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
I'm not having much luck with Verbling. All I get there is either no connection at all, or people with video and audio quality such that I can hardly hear a thing. I don't think the problem is on my end, because I just got a new computer yesterday. Maybe I'm just trying at the wrong time of day or something...

Edited by tastyonions on 16 January 2013 at 3:09pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 110 of 329
16 January 2013 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
I had the same problem with Verbling.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5328 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 111 of 329
16 January 2013 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
I'm not having much luck with Verbling. All I get there is either no connection at all, or people with video and audio quality such that I can hardly hear a thing. I don't think the problem is on my end, because I just got a new computer yesterday. Maybe I'm just trying at the wrong time of day or something...

I find that at least 80% of the people on Verbling have totally unusable audio and video. The trick is to type a quick apology in the chat window, and then block them from future connections.

After about two days of leaving Verbling open and blocking all the people with messed-up systems, I managed one chat with a religious proselytizer from Libya and one with a student from Algeria. There's a lot of French speakers from north Africa, and a lot of them have cheap computers and slow internet connections.

Two connections in two days may seem like a lot of work for little payoff. But it's actually excellent compared to many language exchange sites, where I had to write two dozen emails and sit through several missed exchanges, and ultimately wound up with one cranky person I would avoid speaking to in English.

Edited by emk on 16 January 2013 at 5:54pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4484 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 112 of 329
16 January 2013 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:

Two connections in two days may seem like a lot of work for little payoff. But it's actually excellent compared to
many language exchange sites, where I had to write two dozen emails and sit through several missed exchanges,
and ultimately would up with one cranky person I would avoid speaking to in English.

Hmm. This is making dealing with rude waiters in Paris sound like rainbows and sunshine. ;-)

This discussion contains 329 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version